S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Need Your Guidance - Should My Next MB AMG be an S65?

Old 03-27-2012, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55 AMG
Need Your Guidance - Should My Next MB AMG be an S65?

Folks,

I will be keeping my E55 forever (see sig) and have always dreamed of stepping to an S65 so I'm considering this for my next car. (2005 or 2006).

My question to you is will it be faster than my E55 (see vid below in sig) with an EC tune or due to the mods I have now, will it feel slower?

What I'd hate to happen is me to get an S65, tune it and then be disapointed in it's performance against my currently modified E55. Doing the numbers a tuned S65 can put down 700+ HP and 800+ TQ so one would think it would be faster but I figured I'd post here.

Also the brakes are very expensive to replace on an S65 ($3k-$5K) so that's another concern I have. I understand raw speed isn't everything, but at the same time, it's fairly important to me.

The other alternative I'm looking at is simply buying a 2006 CLS55 and follow the same mod route as I've done below with my E55.

Thanks for the advice, I do appreciate it!

Alex
Old 03-28-2012, 08:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 S55, 2002 E430, 2007 CLK350, 1981 380SL
It is my opinion of course but I would say once you get an S65, you will consider your E55 to be just a toy...the level of craftsmanship is completely diffferent with the AMG S cars. And I would also say that the S65 will probably be faster as well....probably not as light and tossable as the E, but the TTV12 has torque from hell.
Anybody would love to have both of them in their garage...the S65 will cost more to maintain, without question, but you probably wont use it as yur daily driver either.
Mike
Old 03-28-2012, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
The S65 is definitely a torque monster. if you have an alternative shop where you could take it to the brakes, oil change etc it would be very cheap. You could buy the parts and take them to the shop and pay a fractiojn of the cost you would pay at the dealer. I think I paid about 900 dollars or less for a brake job on my CL parts and labor to my tech.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 S 65
Rotors and Pads alone are over $3500.00 for a 2007 S-65. If anyone knows where to get them cheaper please post!

Tony
Old 03-29-2012, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55 AMG
Guys thank you very much! And just for clarity here, looking at a 2006 S65 or CL65, which I think is a bit cheaper to change brakes on. (I believe).

Thanks again!

Alex

Last edited by alextaylor29; 03-29-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:22 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 s65. Ford Excursion 6.0. Pontiac GTO convertible. Porsche 944 Turbo SCCA car. Wife-E550 and 968
Originally Posted by alextaylor29
Guys thank you very much! And just for clarity here, looking at a 2006 S65 or CL65, which I think is a bit cheaper to change brakes on. (I believe).

Thanks again!

Alex
I shopped for rotors for mine for 2 months last year, and every online vendor who claimed to have them or be able to make them failed to produce them upon reviewing the actual specs. I finally went to a very good independent who couldn't find Aftermarket parts either, and could only beat the dealer by 25 bucks or so... My dealer hooked me up at something like 2650 bucks for the front brakes. The problem is the 15.2 inch rotors that are 900 dollars each.

As I posted on the other planet to your similar query...the car is hella fast but feels smoother and because of that feels less raw and slower. it is not slower, it just feels it. The torque is insane, and the handling is a bit ponderous compared to at least the e63 I had. Depends what you use it for...I daily drive my S65 and it is an absolute animal on the highway, there is not a better car made for long distance cruising. I have raced an E55 with the mods you listed (actually, I think he may have been more modded) and we each took a race... The guy in the stickier lane won and we switched lanes for each race. The only mod I have is a mild renntech tune which I take off most of the time. You also mentioned having three kids on the other website... I don't know how tall you are, but that was my determining factor. At 6'6", no one could fit behind me in the E. There is tons or room in the S. It is a lot more car, and way rarer too. No one knows what it is, and if you are driving along casually not flogging the car, people won't believe that it is a performance car...when you hit the gas, they have a conniption. I wouldn't buy it without a warranty though unless you can handle reaallllyyyy big surprises. Remanufactured motors are....wait for it....58k from Mercedes for the part. It's a pretty damn complete part, but that is not for the faint of heart or wallet.

Oh, and my dealer charges 110 for an oil change. that ain't so bad for 11.5 quarts of synthetic and the correct filter- O think it is the only thing approximating a deal on the car. I think you will find most independents are right about the same. And for some reason, TPMS sensors on this car cost 4 times as much, like 250 a wheel...dunno why - a "different technology" or something. There is a lot about the car that is a bit "different".

Last edited by Zax63; 04-03-2012 at 07:35 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Zax63
I shopped for rotors for mine for 2 months last year, and every online vendor who claimed to have them or be able to make them failed to produce them upon reviewing the actual specs. I finally went to a very good independent who couldn't find Aftermarket parts either, and could only beat the dealer by 25 bucks or so... My dealer hooked me up at something like 2650 bucks for the front brakes. The problem is the 15.2 inch rotors that are 900 dollars each.

As I posted on the other planet to your similar query...the car is hella fast but feels smoother and because of that feels less raw and slower. it is not slower, it just feels it. The torque is insane, and the handling is a bit ponderous compared to at least the e63 I had. Depends what you use it for...I daily drive my S65 and it is an absolute animal on the highway, there is not a better car made for long distance cruising. I have raced an E55 with the mods you listed (actually, I think he may have been more modded) and we each took a race... The guy in the stickier lane won and we switched lanes for each race. The only mod I have is a mild renntech tune which I take off most of the time. You also mentioned having three kids on the other website... I don't know how tall you are, but that was my determining factor. At 6'6", no one could fit behind me in the E. There is tons or room in the S. It is a lot more car, and way rarer too. No one knows what it is, and if you are driving along casually not flogging the car, people won't believe that it is a performance car...when you hit the gas, they have a conniption. I wouldn't buy it without a warranty though unless you can handle reaallllyyyy big surprises. Remanufactured motors are....wait for it....58k from Mercedes for the part. It's a pretty damn complete part, but that is not for the faint of heart or wallet.

Oh, and my dealer charges 110 for an oil change. that ain't so bad for 11.5 quarts of synthetic and the correct filter- O think it is the only thing approximating a deal on the car. I think you will find most independents are right about the same. And for some reason, TPMS sensors on this car cost 4 times as much, like 250 a wheel...dunno why - a "different technology" or something. There is a lot about the car that is a bit "different".
THANK YOU VERY MUCH! This is very valuable and I appreciate you taking the time to write it up. I think an S65 is where I'll go. I'm 6'2, 240 lbs so having a bigger car would be appreciated. I'd only do a mild tune and maybe an upgraded HE and pump but that's it. I plan on keeping my E55 as well.

I will be getting an extended warranty so that should help with the costs. I live in AZ and do a 100 mile daily commute to work and back so your summary perfectly fit what I'm looking for.

S65 here I come.

Thank you again, I really do appreciate the advice.

Alex
Old 04-07-2012, 04:02 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 s65. Ford Excursion 6.0. Pontiac GTO convertible. Porsche 944 Turbo SCCA car. Wife-E550 and 968
I would proly not use it for a regular 100 mile commute, the car gets 16mpg on the highway and as I mentioned hella expensive to fix... Passat diesel anyone? 42mpgs, The difference in fuel costs assuming 2000 miles a month at 4 bucks for gas and 4.50 for diesel ( both a bit low) is 300 bucks a month! That is like a free passat! I'd sell the e, buy a passat and s65 and commute in the vw and cruise in the benzo.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55 AMG
Ahhh but I won't get miles per gallon, I'll get SMILES per gallon.