S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Trying to install LED running lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 03:05 AM

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
E-Class
Originally Posted by xlr8tin
Ok, so let me get this straight...In picture 2 and 3, you have the ones from Amazon installed which are the small ones that are tinted blue? If so then They look great in the pictures so I'll go with those
Correct. In picture 4, you can see the color difference and what the actual color is. Parking/running lamp, is the one in the headlight housing, in which I used the amazon bulbs. The side marker is LED with no error code. To note, I changed amber side markers to clear and had to tinted.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 GL550, 2004 Audi S4 v8
Originally Posted by 503C43 ////AMG
I have been researching aftermarket LED fog lights after reading this thread. Every article I read mentioned that resistors needed to be installed to get the LED's to function properly. You should try the wiring kit I linked earlier in this thread.

even if they don't work it's only $20.
The canbus/error free LEDs come with resistor from what I can see...and they still don't work. I'm up to $40, plus another $20 for the ones I just bought that aren't LED...moral of the story is don't get LED for a German car.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Sako
Correct. In picture 4, you can see the color difference and what the actual color is. Parking/running lamp, is the one in the headlight housing, in which I used the amazon bulbs. The side marker is LED with no error code. To note, I changed amber side markers to clear and had to tinted.
Gotcha...that's what I was hoping for. I think the color of the day lights are pretty much what I'm looking for, so I ordered them.

Yea, I see that your side lenses are clear, and not the amber.

What a pain in the *** this has been so far. One question I had is that you mentioned something about having to rotate them 180 degree when plugging them in?? So now I'm to believe they are polarity sensitive? If so, I doubt they say how to plug them in on the bulb...what do you suggest so I don't have to spend another $20 on a second set?
Old 12-08-2012, 03:17 PM

E-Class
Originally Posted by xlr8tin

What a pain in the *** this has been so far. One question I had is that you mentioned something about having to rotate them 180 degree when plugging them in?? So now I'm to believe they are polarity sensitive? If so, I doubt they say how to plug them in on the bulb...what do you suggest so I don't have to spend another $20 on a second set?
In the products I buy, some came with instructions or on the invoice itself that states "if they do not light up, simply take out and turn it 180 degrees and plug it back in"

This is the instruction on google I found: http://autolumination.com/3157_led_s...eshooting.html

First common symptom with the first answer on the same section. Does not pertain to just the 3157 bulb, but most or all LED.

From my experience, my bulb did not turn on from initial install, nor did they work after I did a 180. I fiddle with the wiring, start restart engine, swap from left to right side, I did everything until it turns on. Sometimes they don't want to light up even with the correct negative/positing position, don't let that discourage you! It SHOULD light up.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Sako
In the products I buy, some came with instructions or on the invoice itself that states "if they do not light up, simply take out and turn it 180 degrees and plug it back in"

This is the instruction on google I found: http://autolumination.com/3157_led_s...eshooting.html

First common symptom with the first answer on the same section. Does not pertain to just the 3157 bulb, but most or all LED.

From my experience, my bulb did not turn on from initial install, nor did they work after I did a 180. I fiddle with the wiring, start restart engine, swap from left to right side, I did everything until it turns on. Sometimes they don't want to light up even with the correct negative/positing position, don't let that discourage you! It SHOULD light up.
Well, I know the LEDs work. I jumpered them to a car battery and they light up. Damn, they are bright too, but I can't get them to light up in the car...I spent over an hour trying different things. I think it's just because the car isn't sensing the correct voltage drop so it doesn't send voltage out to the light socket at the headlights, because I checked voltage with a multimeter and got 0v, but as soon as I put in the stock light it worked. I'll check that link later. Maybe I'll give the LEDs another try later. Thanks Sako!
Old 12-08-2012, 07:29 PM

E-Class
I'll send you the ones that work for me since I'm not using them.. Once I find them haha. As well as pictures of them installed and working once I have time.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Haha..I know what you mean. San Fran is the bay area you are in right?