S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

My tiny 993 and large "new" S63 in the garage. :o)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2013 | 11:32 PM

18 MB S63, 2022 911 Turbo S, 23 BMW M5C
My tiny 993 and large "new" S63 in the garage. :o)

Some folks had asked for pics, so here they are. It's 3 weeks into S63 ownership so it was time to take a few pics in the garage. As most of you know, my first week the ABC Malfunction light came on after driving it home from first buying it - $4k, 2nd week a broken strut while it was in for the ABC issue $2k, 3rd week the Nav stopped working - $2k for new control module fix and today it was in for the XM radio since I nor the salesman was ever able to get it to work.

4.5 hours later they realized that the XM module needed replacing. Have no idea how much that cost but all was covered under warranty. And I thought my 993 would cost a lot to maintain! I am SO glad you guys recommended me getting the extended warranty for 5 yrs/60k miles.

Haven't paid a dime to get anything fixed and they even topped off the oil today for free when that light went on yesterday and gave me a new battery for my extra key which is dead. And they gave me a nice MB coffee mug and AMG mats since everything has been a bit of a hassle.

I'll probably go back to BMW in 4.5 years when this warranty has 6 months left on it. I could never own this car out of warranty. I'd like to get a BMW B7 that's about 4 yrs old at that time (w/an extended warranty of course).
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/19/2...-drive-review/

I find this S63 utterly confusing to use with everything buried fairly deep in controls that take my eye off the road but it is what it is. Loved the easiness of my 2001 BMW 740i Sport in that I could just press buttons for everything to work and knew exactly where everything was.

I'm hoping I get used to this car over time. Using the Nav is just crazy how complicated it is compared to the simpleness of my old BMW or a new Garmin unit.

The whole front end was 3M'd by the original owner (up to the windshield)

Decided to keep all the badges and front hood ornament (Star) for now...

Getting a free top off of oil at the dealer. Never even looked under the hood till today.

Guess I won't be working on this:surr:

Old 04-03-2013 | 08:59 PM

2004 S 55 AMG
what year is it ? and how many miles? To give you so many problems....
Old 04-03-2013 | 09:03 PM

2006 s65. Ford Excursion 6.0. Pontiac GTO convertible. Porsche 944 Turbo SCCA car. Wife-E550 and 968
Let me be the first to say "told ya so!" But you bought it so you are the smart one. It is a beautiful car. Can you imagine how fired someone is getting somewhere for not conducting a proper PPI before writing that warranty? The company's total profit is gone and they are three weeks into the term...this is why it is getting harder and harder to find companies to cover these cars. My warranty has had a 20x return!
Old 04-03-2013 | 09:56 PM

18 MB S63, 2022 911 Turbo S, 23 BMW M5C
Originally Posted by hotgreek
what year is it ? and how many miles? To give you so many problems....
It's a 2008 w/50,700 miles. The thing is, the car has had 3 owners already. The last guy bought it and traded it in after only owning it for 2 days to get a new C63 instead. It was certified by Mercedes Benz at least twice before. It was last certified 3 months ago when this guy bought it and it has sat on this dealer's lot since January till... I came along and bought it.

I'm friends with the used car manager and feel like I got a good deal.

I still love the car but realize that I probably should have gotten the E63 after all (a 2008). It's much smaller, handles better and is easier to park in the city. But, there's nothing like the big S63 when your friends pile in and you go for a road trip. It's awesomely huge.

I mostly drive the old (1996) 911 and use that as my daily driver.

Steve