S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Benz newb here, looking to buy S55... am I crazy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 S55
Benz newb here, looking to buy S55... am I crazy?

Hey all, somewhat new to the whole Benz scene... haven't been in one since the parents sold theirs years ago!

But now I'm looking to buy a car, preferably a 2000s or later MB S-class. As I don't have an enormous budget to work with here (I'd like to be in around $15K), I was pleasantly surprised to find some reasonable S-classes around town ("town" being Houston, TX), including a couple 01-02 S55's.

Then a real supercar caught my eye... an '05 S55 with 104k miles for $15.5k. WOW, I think, what a dream vehicle!

Post-research, it's not looking so rosy... tons of reports of maintenance problems, particularly with the ABC. The car does have an ABC error message - "Drive Carefully" though, so may just need a fluid top-up? Anyway, y'all seem a knowledgeable group of folks so I wanted to get some opinions on the car linked above. Are any ABC/other problems going to show up on a PPI, or am I gonna get surprise wallet-slammed with thousands in maintenance in three months? Is this a good deal, or am I crazy for even considering it? Let me know whatcha think!
Old 05-14-2013, 12:22 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
S55K AMG
I think so far you've been crazy for not considering one of these fantastic machines yet, but now that you have as long as you get a good one i think you're in for a treat. Especially if you get an 2003-2006 Kompressor model.

I cant comment on the prices as im on the wrong side of the pond to you, but the ABC has grown a very bad reputation for itself. On my own 2004 S55 the paperwork shows that the ABC failed at around 70k, well before i got the car. Since iv had the car for about a year and a half iv put on nearly 20k (bringing it to just over 130k) and the only ABC problem iv had is the pulsation damper going bad which me and a mechanic friend of mine replaced a few weeks ago. Other than that iv had no other issues with the car, touch wood. I serviced it myself when the computer told me so and in general i keep on top of the maintenance and servicing. There are people here claiming that you should put aside $5,000-10,000 a year for repair and servicing of these cars but to be honest i think iv spent less than a $1,000 so far. Im sure most of the problems occur when basic servicing and maintenance are overlooked.

I think what you'll find as an owner is that if you look after the car it will look after you, If you neglect it then your in for a hard time. As a precaution im going to get the ABC fluid and filter changed in the next month or so as thats something that is very easily overlooked and in my opinion is what causes most of the ABC problems in the first place. As a back up idea of mine im thinking if the worst case scenario was to happen and the entire ABC system let go, or was too costly to repair, i could always hop over to struts and springs from the likes of Strutmasters and be done with it altogether. Just my back up plan, might not be everyones cup of tea.

To be honest i bought my car to do about 5k a year at the most, but i love driving it that much that iv done nearly 3 times that much. Its got a little rough over the last 6 months or so and to make it feel like a proper S-class again im going to spend about $2,000 to overhaul, service and/or repair certain things. The car doesnt NEED this amount spending on it, but im certain that once iv finished by the end of this week it will drive like a brand new car again.

Last edited by w4sim; 05-14-2013 at 12:26 AM.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:22 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 s65. Ford Excursion 6.0. Pontiac GTO convertible. Porsche 944 Turbo SCCA car. Wife-E550 and 968
Don't buy it if you can't afford at least 5k a year on maintenance. Thankfully I have a CPO, but I would be over 16k into just my suspension in three years. Thats both rear shocks and the front right one, one more rear as the new one from Benz started leaking 2 years in, the ABC pump, the pulsation dampener, there is some other part above the shocks that went, and replacing a few major hydraulic lines that were leaking that required some major labor. ( full disclosure, thats from a dealer, you could probably have gotten most of that work done using Arnott industries rebuilts and an indy for more like 8-10k) I wouldn't buy that car unless you had an MB dealer PPI it and fully diagnose the ABC system to tell you what is going on. And we haven't even touched on routine stuff. You will love the car anyway, though!
Old 05-14-2013, 03:50 PM

S55 AMG
I bought my '05 S55 in 2008 from its original owner. It had a 3 year extended factory warranty. The previous owner had no warranty claims. I had one, a blower regulator switch. Other than new front brake pads and rotors at 66K, I have had no issues. I live in Northern California. My wife has a 1981 240D with
286,000 miles on it. It burns no oil and is damn near bulletproof. I had a 1986 420SEL that I put 486,000 miles on the original motor, handed off to my son, who gave it to a friend when it had 502,000 miles and it still rolls down in Los Angeles. I got hit broadside in an intersection by a red light runner in my 1985 300CD, got driven into a streetlight and I walked away. The car was totaled. I guess I just have good MB mojo.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:09 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by snarkyninja
As I don't have an enormous budget to work with here (I'd like to be in around $15K),
things go sideways - you might be looking at 1/3 to 1/2 of that for a single repair. and not many shops will touch your car to begin with- the ones that will- will be expensive.

my guess is - if 15k is your budget for those cars - you might not be quite there yet. dont take it the wrong way.

if you are skilled and have the tools we can help you with most of the repairs, but parts will be expensive anyway you view it.

if you are not- see the "my guess" part
Old 05-14-2013, 09:47 PM

'05 S55
No worries, I appreciate y'all being candid.

I've done car repairs before - changed fluids, belts, tires, alternator, that sort of thing - certainly don't mind getting my hands dirty, but I'm no AAA genius.

With the budget comment, I meant moreso that I'd like to be in around $15k because that's about where local pricing is at for a nicer used S-class - not that I'm stuck at $15k and not a penny more. I'd rather be in for a little more cash up front and a lot more enjoyment long-term - if we're talking difference of a couple grand between an '01 and an '03, that's no problem at all, provided that the '03 doesn't need another ten or so in parts and labor!

It's not so much the cost of repairs that I'm worried about (it's a Benz, I anticipate $$$), but I guess cost in relation to time... i.e. if I wind up with an $8k maintenance bill over a couple years, so be it - the price of driving a S55! If I wind up with that in a couple months, that's not gonna fly at all - I would rather not get pantsed on maintenance immediately after purchase.

So I guess the question is how do I find out if that '05 is going to screw me in repair costs within the first year of ownership? Can I catch that kind of stuff ahead of time with a PPI, or is it kind of a gamble?

I guess I just have good MB mojo.
Send me some of that mojo!!
Old 05-23-2013, 07:15 PM

Location: W. Bloomfield, Michigan (Suburb outside of Detroit)
05' S55 Merc Benz; 03' G-wag 500
Lmao all these comments are true n everyones just plain honest. We all are gonna have our own variations of problems after the 75-100k miles for these vehicles since they gettin older but we can all agree even for the future buyer who's looking at the 05'.. Dude its worth it. even with some of the bs headaches, inconvenient stops to whichever shop dealer or indie once its in motion we all forget about it. I just picked up my 55 from the shop today, my coolaint lines got pushed in closer to one of the pulleys somehow (most likely from the parking curb block) n it broke the line leaving all the fluids all over the engine n pretty much looked like it exploded under the hood i was so ahhhhh, i just got my abc leveling sensors replaced rodeo flush, etc. etc.!
No joke from april 17th-may 25th i was thinking oh snap i just got to 112k is this ***** bout to die on me?! But in reality the cars engine n transmission is almost bullet proof aslong as you give it the attention it needs. So from my stand point get it thats a decent price for a 05' considering what i paid for back in 07? 08?! But its no lie these things electric n everything you cant think of... Its gonna probably go bad or have problems soon. If you can find a faster, comfortable n lowkey car for price n status look into those options but once you look im telling you aint gonna find better. Now it can be considered bang for the buck just remember all cars break n needs to be fixed but just this one in particular is gonna keep banging your buck once you own it.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 ML350 1987 Buick GN 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 2006 Mercedes S65
Well if you ever wanna spend a little more and get the big boy I have mine for sale. No major issues at all. Car runs like a champ!

https://mbworld.org/forums/s55-amg-s...alifornia.html
Old 07-20-2013, 11:35 PM

2011 GL550 Black/Black
Hi all. I'm looking at a 2007 s65 for sale with 90k miles and wanted to hear from any current or recent owners of this vehicle what I should expect maintenance wise. Are there any major issues? And if so what are they? Thanks!!
Old 07-21-2013, 09:53 PM

2004 S 55 AMG
Friendly advise to all who thinking to buy these cars Stay away if you don't make more than 70k's a year income ... other wise they are great cars
Old 07-22-2013, 04:23 AM

Mercedes S600TT, LX470 SuperCharged, QX4, BMW 750IL
my S600 has costed over $50K in repairs so far in 3.5 years (probably closer to $60K). My MB service advisor is keeping a tally that insurance company has paid over $40k. I have garaged it mostly in the past two years and driving around one of my trucks. It is still my favorite car and I always feel best in it but since I drive 50k miles annually for pleasure I save the miles on her unless I feel like racing (still have 3 years left on my warranty). Since cops seem to be coming down harder on speeders I haven't done any serious racing this season and not much last.