S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Enough is Enough

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 08:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 S 55 AMG
Enough is Enough

Enough with the AMG cars for me ! Spending a lot of money and car never runs 100 % In New York area no one know how to fix these cars I've been trying for the last year to fix a noise on my car ,cost me so far almost $ 4k
and no results And only driving the weekends .I'm thinking to sell it or trade in my 2004 S 55 I'm sooo pissed off
Old 10-03-2013, 03:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 329 Likes on 266 Posts
2006 S600
What sort of noise?
Old 10-03-2013, 08:23 PM

2004 S 55 AMG
A tik tik noise front left but only can hear it when you going slow speeds,like when I'm pulling out of my driveway you can hear it ,when I pass over the little gaps beetwen the cement plates? and the second noise is when you rolling with like 5 mph and step on the gas petal it makes a squeak noise for half second , sounds like a belt jumps or something
Old 10-03-2013, 09:36 PM

S55
Sorry to hear you are having the noise problems. I know they can really bother you espically when you cant find them. Here is just a thought. I had a wierd clicking noise I could only hear at low speeds like leaving my driveway or going slowly in a parking lot. I started noticing it when I changed from my 2004 factory AMG rims to 2006 factory AMG rims I had. I lifted it checked everyting spun the wheels etc., took it to the shop... No one could find it. When I put back on the 04 rims later it was gone. Now I am back to the 06 rims and it is back. The other noise sounds like a belt? Should be an easy fix. Some people on here have a belt kit for that.

Good luck and hope someone will be of help. Bummer becuase these are such great cars.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:34 PM

2004 S 55 AMG
ty for intel I'll try to switch back to OE rims and see whats going on
thank you
Old 10-05-2013, 01:29 AM

Mercedes S600TT, LX470 SuperCharged, QX4, BMW 750IL
These cars are sick money to spend once they go out of warranty. Best to dump it and buy one thats under warranty. You will easily pay more once they are out not to mention on regular maintenance. I love my W220 S600 to death and I am willing to spend $20k a year on maintenance because I cant find a better car out there (not W221 and probably not W222). Luckily mine is still under warranty for 3 more years. I love German V12s and BMW has been a let down after the E38.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 GL550, 2004 Audi S4 v8
I agree with getting these AMG's. Their values suck. Whenever I want to sell one I get bent over and raped on prices.

For me it's not fixing, but selling them down the road. Seems like M5's, like the E60, keep their value pretty well. Maybe I'll look into them if I can ever get what I want for mine.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:34 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
so long!
Old 10-06-2013, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S63
Squeaking is def a belt. I had same issue on 2010 s63. Mb put extra belt tensioner on and all is well
Old 10-12-2013, 09:05 AM

2015 ML400 Sportline
Noises

Hey Greek:

I read you loud and clear on the noises - nothing is more of a buzzkill than a fine car that makes noises it probably shouldn't. As a fellow S55 (mine's a 2005) owner, I have had my share of issues with it.

Might I suggest using these forums a lot more from the get-go, to at least get some semblance of what others are encountering. Specifically, tune in to the E55K subsection as there are more E55 than S55. Also, CL and SL55s are fairly common and all of these share many (or all, even) of the same underlying components. Short story: you're not the only one to have these issues and 10:1, at least a few others have figured it out.

To that end, the squeak you hear when accelerating is quite commonplace, and you might find it annoying, but it is intrinsic to the way things work. The squeak is not a belt, but a clutch, specifically, the electronically-controlled clutch pack attached to the blower. When you demand a lot of power, it engages that clutch to spin the blower. The common wisdom is that nothing is broken, it's just what it is. However, you can replace the clutch pack fairly easily yourself or have someone do it. There are aftermarket solutions, and some solutions which include a blower pulley that either is smaller and fits to the clutch, or ones that omit the clutch altogether. No More Squeak. you'll find more notes in these forums under the search term "supercharger chirp."

That second sound is something that could be worrisome too. Or it's nothing.
a. When I had my M119 S500, if I parked the car facing uphill, the oil likely drained into the back side of the pan, meaning the lifters were temporarily starved of oil at startup. Once started, that went away after 5 seconds. A rythmic tick, esp one that varies with engine speed, it comonly part of the valve-train.
b. The motors with the blower attached do not have any sound-deadening foam (yes, people DO put foam on their HOT engines for some reason - look at any Toyota) so the CW is that they are louder because they are less suppressed.
c. I have never used anything other than 0-W40 synthetic oil but at about 80% life, the motor definitely sounds louder, with more mechanical noises. An oil change resolved it for me.
d. If it is on the driver's side, and you hear a ticking or a whine, it could be the combination pump. Unlike other cars, cars w ABC don't whine when you turn the steering wheel when the oil level is low or the pump is worn.
e. Fans sometimes like to fail and they'll do that with a whining or ticking as the bearings or brushes wear out. The ticking could be from the fan blades striking the shroud.

It's generally a bad idea to put wheels any larger than the ones installed at the factory on these cars. IF you're in NYC or NJ especially, the traffic and roads will tear the best and most durable cars in the world up in short order (look at any cab in NYC). If you think it's related to your wheels, restore them to stock.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by hotgreek
A tik tik noise front left but only can hear it when you going slow speeds,like when I'm pulling out of my driveway you can hear it ,when I pass over the little gaps beetwen the cement plates? and the second noise is when you rolling with like 5 mph and step on the gas petal it makes a squeak noise for half second , sounds like a belt jumps or something
Old 10-13-2013, 08:40 PM

2004 S 55 AMG
how much are we talking for the clutch ?
Old 10-16-2013, 01:50 PM

S55
20K a year on maint??? I just dont understand when I see this talk of how much these cars are to own out of warranty. I have been driving them for years. I have two S55s now and they hardley ever break with anything excessive. I use one for my daily driver... W220 is one of the finest cars ever made. The fact that you can pick up a 125k car now for less than 20K is unbvelivable. What a steal. Why would I ever carry a warranty? If I ever had a huge problem I'd just buy another one... I suppose anyone could get a lemon but all mine have been great with the exception they eat rear tires.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:09 PM

S55
"To that end, the squeak you hear when accelerating is quite commonplace, and you might find it annoying, but it is intrinsic to the way things work."

My cars do "NOT" squeak when accelerating. There should be No annoying belt noise of any kind... If you get lucky you will be able to hear the fine sound of your super charger equiped car...lol

Last edited by HIGHLANDER S-55; 10-16-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:58 PM

s55 AMG
how much are we talking for the clutch ?
I too had this annoying squeaking noise few months back. Same symptoms on accelerating. At the end, finally it turned out to be a worn out crank pulley. Luckily it came off while i was pulling out of the drive way and it didn't cause any further damage to surrounding. Once new installed with new belts, noise long gone.

Like previous posters said, these cars are great machines if taken care of. The most annoying and headache prone issues is the ABC, but thank god they have a permanent remedy for that issue(change out the air suspension to regular suspension ). I will be doing it once I get a leaking strut or line etc....

**Check out the Youtube videos on the install, good shiat!!!!****

http://www.strutmasters.com/Mercedes...arts-s/110.htm

How many miles are on your s55?

Last edited by merc79; 10-23-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:32 PM

SL55 AMG
LMAO, its a 2004 S class. You are generations behind. What do you expect?
Old 10-24-2013, 06:31 PM

S55
"LMAO, its a 2004 S class. You are generations behind. What do you expect?"

Thats right... It is an S Class. Just because it's newer doesnt make it better. Some of us buy what we like with out the peer pressure of having to own the latest model...lol
Old 10-24-2013, 07:15 PM

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by HIGHLANDER S-55
"LMAO, its a 2004 S class. You are generations behind. What do you expect?"

Thats right... It is an S Class. Just because it's newer doesnt make it better. Some of us buy what we like with out the peer pressure of having to own the latest model...lol
Actually, upon further review, you did what I did and bought an older model with newer, if not the newest components for that bodystyle.

I've put about $8,000 into my SL in suspension parts, ABC and soon to be secondary air pump. I'm simply saying there are those who have had issues and those who will.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 420 Likes on 346 Posts
MB’s
Originally Posted by xlr8tin
I agree with getting these AMG's. Their values suck. Whenever I want to sell one I get bent over and raped on prices.

For me it's not fixing, but selling them down the road. Seems like M5's, like the E60, keep their value pretty well. Maybe I'll look into them if I can ever get what I want for mine.
You are worried about resale value? What did you honestly think they will go up in value or something? You want something that goes up in value sell your cars, buy a bus pass and invest all your money into Google stock

You bought a Mercedes/AMG. As beautiful and as amazing of cars the AMG's are I am sure they all go down in value with the exception of a few. Your AMG is no different. Just buy it and enjoy it my friend. No use worrying about how much it will be worth many miles and many years from now. It takes the fun out of it all!
Old 01-09-2014, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 269 Likes on 218 Posts
'06 MB S55 AMG; '04 Audi Allroad 4.2; '05 BMW M3 Conv.; '92 MB 500E
+1 on the supercharger chirp issue. Well known. I've never had it, but then again (1) I've had all my belts and pulleys replaced (except the crank pulley); and (2) I don't drive the car like a maniac. It's a Sonderklasse, not an M3. It is just a natural part of having a supercharged car -- the belts and pulleys WILL go bad. They are wear and tear items, like brakes. All forced induction comes with a cost, either belts-n-pulleys here or turbo chargers there. Own it, deal with it, enjoy it. No free lunches.

The clicking noise sounds like tie rod ends to me, so I'd check those. I hate bringing my S55 to New York -- the whole driving experience out there just wears your car out, and all I can think of is how much money it's gonna cost me, for nothing. Even if no one hits you, the roads will wear your suspension OUT, no joke. And it only gets worse if your wheels don't fit (anything > 19").

Good luck with the repairs. If you're in Jersey, I know a good indy. PM me. These cars aren't all that complicated, which is why I bought one. The issues are known, even if "expensive". Mercedes parts are more expensive because they do more. A Honda accord it is not. But that's just my perspective.

Cheers,

maw
Old 01-09-2014, 09:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
S55K AMG
greek - did you ever get to the bottom of this?

My car has had a small vibration at certain speeds and iv spent quite a fair bit replacing most bushes, joints etc etc and its still there. Im nearly getting to that position of just replacing the car.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:23 PM

2004 S 55 AMG
No I didn't solve the problem yet because I don't hear it with the cold weather !! I was dealing with the valve block ,but soonest the weather gets better I will try again ..probably next week I will replace the tensioner and the belt ....Hold on to it ..lol
I let you know ....

p.s. did you try to balance the wheels ? It has to be high speed balance
Old 01-10-2014, 10:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
S55K AMG

p.s. did you try to balance the wheels ? It has to be high speed balance
Im a tyre fitter by trade, so balancing the wheels was my first job.

When that didnt work iv tried:-

1. Rear subframe bushes
2. Front lower ball joints
3. Front upper wishbones
4. Rear trailing arms
5. Bush that connects the propshaft to the diff.
6. New Wheels
7. New Tyres
8. Engine Mounts
9. Gearbox mount

And its still there!!!!

It happens at 2 different stages. Firstly at 25-35mph, more noticeable uphill on gentle acceleration.

And then contstant between 65-80mph.

Above 80 and it feels fine.

Im beginning to think it might be the propshaft itself, but my indy has given up on it. Its just a case of replacing bits and hopefully getting to the bottom of it.

Despite all of that, im glad you've kept hold of yours . . . . and im more than likely going to keep hold of mine till i get to the bottom of it.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:48 PM

s55 AMG
....Dont give up, I'm still holding onto my s55 till the wheels fall off, lolz. Just today I'm getting no heat blowing in any of my vents. Even if I press the windshield defroster no heat coming out. Don't know whats up with it. I was problem free for awhile now this issues pops up.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
Originally Posted by merc79
....Dont give up, I'm still holding onto my s55 till the wheels fall off, lolz. Just today I'm getting no heat blowing in any of my vents. Even if I press the windshield defroster no heat coming out. Don't know whats up with it. I was problem free for awhile now this issues pops up.
dual heater valve
Old 01-16-2014, 03:46 PM

s55 AMG
Originally Posted by benz_addict
dual heater valve
Hey thanks buddy!!! I had a feeling it might be that, but wouldn't that just cause one side to blow hot air and the other to blow cold? Also is it safe to use the A/C if the dual heater valve isn't working?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Enough is Enough