S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

ABC repair almost done...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 03:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 S55 , 12 Acura TL SH , '09 F150 4x4
ABC repair almost done...

Ok boys, I took on the ABC pump repair, I am now a master.. I read all I could read and watched the utubes etc. I can tell how to do the job, there was some help here but the tricky parts were not told clearly or anywhere... I dont have the torque specs but just going to use common sense.

The main stupid thing that no body speaks about on the ABC pump rebuild is how to remove the pulley to get at the main pump body. It does get mentioned here and there, but if you are going to rebuild your pump you will need to get that pulley off, ... there is no way except an oxy torch get it cherry red and use a pulley shock treatment to shock it off the shaft.

I am rebuilding 2 of them, I bought a spare core from the wreckers just to be sure that I got it right... lots of little bits and pieces and a few tricks, not too hard to do, but you will need to be careful at every step...

After mine failed, I was very careful to not run the pump dry otherwise you are screwed if you score the shaft... I had a drip, after diagnosis, I found that some "HACK" had tried to weld a crack in the resevoir (the shroud that is held behind the shaft with a C clip) and assumed that the 4" oring would seal his stupid weld... anyway... I pulled the pump out and slowly took it apart... Oredered the ORing kit from Invasion Auto + a resevoir (Orings $89, resevoir $49) and began the venture... I can and will post more to contribute to the forum, but the main thing is you will not get to first base unless you get the pulley off... after that it is pretty much duck soup. The only other trouble spot I had was the 2 seals between the PSteering vane pump and the ABS piston pump were a bit of a ***** to get out... they are two stacked seals and I found the best way is to push them out from the power steering spline side (after its out) by gently slamming them out while looking in from the opposite side, being careful not to score the OD of the aluminum casting...

If you are only slightly smarter than me you can do the job for $150 for the O ring kit and the resevoir (which is known to fail) you will need to take out the main resevoir tank from under the hood to get some clear acess to initially remove the pump. AND for god sakes do not do what I did.... you need to keep the banjo on the pump output side fixed and removed the back end of the tubular accumulator first, then the ABC pump output side at the accumulator/buffer last, otherwise the whole thing will flex and you will be pushing string... get all new seals for the banjo bolts and the copper bushings for the Power steering output... I studied all threads and Utubes, I will let you know when I have full pressure... it is very doable, but be careful lads.

Invasion Auto has the two things you need the seal kit and the resevoir
Old 10-03-2016, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 782 Likes on 761 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to W220 AMG forum...
Old 10-03-2016, 12:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
1999 e320 ,2006 AMG S55
im going to need all the help i can get,last night my "active body control,abc,drive carefully" in red came on in the car. I turned the car off and turned it back on and it went away and drove home. when i was home I lifted the car and it seemed to work fine. went outside like 1hr later and the car was still lifted. I turned it on and the abc message was in red and would not go away this time and the abc system was disabled i couldnt lower or raise the car.

I turned the car on this morning and i heard a loud humming sound,i pretty sure that was the pump making the loud noise. I immediately turned off the car and drove my other one to work.

So my question is what is my first step ? Take it to MB dealer and let them run a diagnostic on it ? or take it to a local tunner shop and let them run the diagnostic ? I need the codes so i can see whats failing

this guy seems to have done a big write up http://mercedes-abc-drive-carefully.blogspot.com/
Old 11-07-2016, 12:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
1999 e320 ,2006 AMG S55
ended up having to take mine to the mechanic and pay over 3k to get it all fixed. Rides like a dream though
Old 11-07-2016, 02:40 PM

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts
2016 S63, 2013 SL63
Bummer but happy it all works!
Old 11-17-2016, 10:11 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 S63
damm i just threw 5 abc pumps away. how do you remove the black pulley base off the shaft?
Old 08-11-2019, 06:40 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Sl500
Wrong post.
Sorry.

Last edited by MarkCan; 08-11-2019 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Wrong post