S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Any negatives to going square stance on an 07 S600?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 06:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 SL600
Any negatives to going square stance on an 07 S600?

Picking up an S600 soon. The car I've got a deal on has wheels I'm not too fond of on it.

Is there a problem going square stance on the S600? The set of wheels I was looking at are 20x9.5.

I guess the original wheels are 18 or 19; and they 8.5 front and 9.5 rear (correct me if I'm wrong).

I'd like to retain as good of ride quality as I can. Thanks for the input.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 329 Likes on 266 Posts
2006 S600
Originally Posted by gotthebenz?
Picking up an S600 soon. The car I've got a deal on has wheels I'm not too fond of on it.

Is there a problem going square stance on the S600? The set of wheels I was looking at are 20x9.5.

I guess the original wheels are 18 or 19; and they 8.5 front and 9.5 rear (correct me if I'm wrong).

I'd like to retain as good of ride quality as I can. Thanks for the input.
I don't think I would take the route without ABC suspension, but otherwise it's a very good idea from my point of view.

I did a lot of experimentation over the last year or two, and wrote this thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...els-tyres.html

You need to have the wheel offset as close as possible to 43mm F&R.

Don't use too high an aspect ratio, it really messes the car up. Keep the original wheel/tyre diameter.

I found it a great success on two of my cars, and I would never consider going back to staggered.

There are slight drawbacks with poorer ride, and stability under braking, on broken/bumpy surfaces, but otherwise the benefits in handling (and looks) are enormous.

Having done a lot of experimentation, I concluded that staggered wheels are the worst of all worlds, and must be purely a marketing device.

Nick