S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Replacing Front End Parts with ABC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 S55 AMG
Replacing Front End Parts with ABC

Hey guys, going to be replacing both lower control arms, both lower ball joints and a thrust arm on my 2003 S55 that obviously has the ABC suspension system. I have scoured the forums and videos but cannot seem to find much regarding doing this work with the ABC system (Plenty with Airmatic). So my questions is does anyone have further info? More regarding whether or not I will have to open the bleeders before undoing the lower bolts on the strut to control arm and then do I need to bleed the system of air afterwards or just let the pump do the work and watch for level of system fluid when I am done?

Also, I am fairly certain the lower control arms and thrust arm mounting bolts need to be tightened with weight on the suspension? Does anyone have the torque specs on from end parts and an idea how the lower control arm bolt with the cam works for alignment?

Any info would be helpful. I am pretty good with cars and can do most anything but these cars are a bit intimidating especially being new to the ABC system and not knowing all the ins and outs.

Last edited by DEBENZO; 10-18-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:24 PM

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts
2003 S55 (SOLD) , 2012 S550
You dont have to do anything with the ABC shocks. Have the front of the ground and take everything out leaving the shocks in place. Replace everything and hand tighten all the screws....then put the wheels back on and put the front on ramps to have weight on it...tighten everything but be aware that your alignment is going to be way out of whack. Find someone close to do the alignment and you are good to go....STAY AWAY from cheap aftermarket parts.... i have done my front 3 times now and the aftermarket stuff doesnt last much more than 10k.

Good luck
The following users liked this post:
DEBENZO (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 08:10 AM

2003 S55 AMG
Thanks for the response. Big time helpfull. Do you happen to know the torque specs for everything in the front end? Also, I understand what you mean regarding aftermarket parts but does that comment apply to the Lemforder parts as well? I purchased all Lemforder parts other than the lower control arms which have the single "ball joint" that the strut mounts to. I did "cheap" out on these parts as I purchased a locally repackaged Mevotech part that I have a lifetime warranty on, figured the savings of over $600 from the MB parts would greatly out weigh possibly having to replace again for free (other than time) as I do not mind doing the work myself and seem to be wrenching every weekend whether its the car or the truck.

Cannot believe how expensive the MB Genuine parts are and I understand this is a "high end car" but its also a car that is 14+ year old has over 120k on it that I paid under $5,000 for so spending $1,500 on front end parts just does not make sense when I can spend 1/4 of that knowing I could replace the parts 3 or 4 times before spending that money on MB parts and who knows the parts may last; im a betting man lol not that I am a cheap F just my thoughts.

Last edited by DEBENZO; 10-19-2017 at 08:18 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:19 PM

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts
2003 S55 (SOLD) , 2012 S550
I hear yah. I ended up buying Lemforder at FCPEuro with their lifetime warranty. Dont worry about the torque specs since the guy who does the alignment doesnt give a crap anyways Just make sure they are nice and tight. BTW...as you have everything apart i would also replace the Ball Joints and the inner and outer tie rod if they are loose...makes a hell of a difference.

Have fun doing the work.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:10 PM

Ss
I have an '05 S55 and just replaced many of the front end suspension parts. Our cars have 2 sets of lower control arms. For the forward control arms (left - 2203305711, right 2203305811), you can find Lemfoerder replacements. For the rearward control arms (same part # for left and right - 2153300707), Lemfoerder does not make a replacement. I purchased a set made by Karlyn, another German parts manufacturer.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:50 AM

2003 S55 AMG
Yup, biggest head scratcher for me was understanding how the system worked and the fact that the lower arm has the non-serviceable ball joint that attaches to the bottom of strut. I stayed away from the Karlyn parts as I have heard some not so good things so I went with Lemforder lower outer ball joints, Delphi Forward thrust arms and I purchased re-packaged Mevotech rear lower arms for the shear fact they were 1/4 the cost of MB genuine parts and have lifetime warranty so I doubt the car the eat through 4 sets in the remainder of her lifetime and if so then no biggie I dont mind wrenching.
Old 11-05-2017, 03:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 265 Posts
2006 S600
Anyone who owns a W220 will probably have to replace the track control arm at some point. The things that fail are both the ball joint at the bottom of the strut, and the outboard ball joint on the wheel knuckle / carrier. The latter can be replaced cheaply on it's own, but you do need a special MB ball joint press tool. Thanks to the Chinese, the good news is that these tools are cheap now.

Nick