S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Brakes and rotors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S63 AMG 2012
Question Brakes and rotors

Rear Brakes :
I just got a S63 AMG 2012 3weeks ago, Mercedes dealer informed me that rear brakes at 60 %, front brakes at 50 %, we made the deal, couple of days ago I dropped the car off for some noise check, and they informed me that the rear brakes 40 % and the front at 80%, I contacted them cause they should've replaced the rear ones before even selling it, the car been on the road 6 times only since I bought, cause I'm using another car.
Does anyone knows whats the minimum brake requirement to change, and whether should the dealership be responsible for that
Old 12-02-2017, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 265 Posts
2006 S600
20% is quite safe.

The dealer will want to make sure the pads don't wear out before the next service.

Or they simply want your money....

Nick
Old 12-02-2017, 11:34 AM

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts
2016 S63, 2013 SL63
Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon
Very nice pads with much less brake dust!
Vince
Old 12-02-2017, 02:58 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
S65 GL320CDI GLS63 80 Series Landcruiser
I wouldn't expect them to do the brakes if they're not worn but having said this every time I bring a car to the dealer (currently have 3 Mercedes) they tell me a need new pads and rotors (I'm sure there's a double standard in there somewhere). My service advisor knows they will never touch my brakes but she always has it on "the list" when she calls fishing for more work.

Your brake pads have sensors on them and you will get a low pad warning. I have never had an issue with pads on a Mercedes waiting for the light and I probably put 750K total miles across all the Mercedes I've owned. Why would I replace something that is working fine? When the time comes do the replacement yourself and measure the rotors. Rotors have a minimum thickness and a service thickness. If you are less than the service thickness dealer will replace under the idea that by the time the new pads are worn the rotor will be less than the minimum. Dealer will charge you a lot to do the brakes on your car I have an '08 S65 so I'm up on the costs. You can do it yourself for 1/3rd the money easily and you'll know its been done correctly and nothing else broken in the process. Ever notice how when you get something fixed a few days later something else breaks?...just sayin'

Randy