S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

05 S55 - Brakes smoking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 05:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ss
05 S55 - Brakes smoking

Tonight I drove my car particularly hard for a few minutes. Nothing crazy, just a few 0-100 runs over 3 miles.

The brakes started feeling a little weak during deceleration from high speed. Thought this may be due to brake fade. After my last deceleration when I came to a stop, I saw smoke coming from the front wheels. I was right around the corner from home so I drove slowly. During these last few moments of driving, it took a lot more pedal effort to slow down the car and bring it to a stop.

Note that the pads and rotors on all 4 corners have less than 5k miles on them. I don’t normally drive my car hard, so not sure if this was part of breaking in the new parts or if there was some other serious problem. Will check brake fluid level tomorrow mornings.

Thoughts...?
Old 01-29-2018, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ss
Checked the brake fluid and the levels were okay.

Any thoughts...?
Old 01-29-2018, 05:44 PM

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts
2008 E63 wagon (1 of 62)
Thoughts are... brakes are working fine and with trying to stop a heavy car like the W220 from 100mph in a hurry a few times in a few miles, I'm not surprised that they were smoking. If the brake pedal pressure when braking started feeling weak or spongy, you may want to look at performing a brake fluid flush. Is the brake fluid dirty and old? It doesn't take a lot with a heavy car to find the limits of a stock brake system with non-performance parts.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 455 Likes on 339 Posts
222 S-65
OP I hope that you drove the car for a mile or so gently to give brakes time to cool off before parking it. Not doing so will make for warped brake rotors as they cool unevenly.

Smoke after several stops from three digits certainly got any of the oils in your fresh brake pads and rotors burned off.

5000lb cars need bigger brakes. They always need more.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 265 Likes on 214 Posts
'06 MB S55 AMG; '04 Audi Allroad 4.2; '05 BMW M3 Conv.; '92 MB 500E
Change the fluid. The proper level with sh*t fluid isn't doing you any favors. The brake pedal feel and the smoke are the dead giveaway. If you have the same problem after that, make sure you have real (original equipment) brakes, not some Chinese BS the seller put on for sale.

GL

maw

P.S. With proper brakes on these, the tires should damned near skid to a stop. No joke, I get rubber on hard braking from those speeds. If that's not happening (and your experience tells me it's not), then first comes fluid, then comes hardware. In over 8 years and almost 100k miles, I've NEVER had spongy brake feel on my car, from any speed.

Last edited by maw1124; 02-01-2018 at 02:12 PM. Reason: PS
Old 02-01-2018, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 265 Posts
2006 S600
I think it's quite likely that your brakes are binding on, which tends to cause them to run hot on their own. Coupled with some heavy stops, that might push them over the edge.

The problem with these alloy calipers is that they have steel wear plates above and below the pads, and the calliper tends to corrode under the lower plates, lifting them up.

Therefore the pads are squeezed vertically, and aren't free to move in, and more importantly, out.

Take a look, Nick
Old 02-04-2018, 03:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

222 S-65
Originally Posted by maw1124
Change the fluid. The proper level with sh*t fluid isn't doing you any favors. The brake pedal feel and the smoke are the dead giveaway. If you have the same problem after that, make sure you have real (original equipment) brakes, not some Chinese BS the seller put on for sale.

GL

maw

P.S. With proper brakes on these, the tires should damned near skid to a stop. No joke, I get rubber on hard braking from those speeds. If that's not happening (and your experience tells me it's not), then first comes fluid, then comes hardware. In over 8 years and almost 100k miles, I've NEVER had spongy brake feel on my car, from any speed.

Maw.... SMOKE is due to oils burning off of fresh brake parts (happens once with new brake parts) or brake pads gassing due to being abused. Fluid has nothing to do with smoke. Cheesy brake pads will sign off sooner then brake pads with a 'Performance compound.'

Fresh brake fluid boils at a higher temperature then old fluid for a firm brake pedal... We should be changing fluid at least every two years.

Old 02-04-2018, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 265 Likes on 214 Posts
'06 MB S55 AMG; '04 Audi Allroad 4.2; '05 BMW M3 Conv.; '92 MB 500E
That’s all fine, and kinda my point. Fresh brake fluid doesn’t boil so fast. I’ve always used the Super Blue brake fluid, and changed it every two years (sorta mandatory in Florida with the heat and humidity), so I’ve never seen smoke or a spongy feel from any of them. Again, that was my point. Sorry if it didn’t come off clearly. In any event, Nick may have a better answer. Between his and mine, and I think the OP has a solution.

Cheers,

maw
Old 02-04-2018, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

222 S-65
Originally Posted by maw1124
That’s all fine, and kinda my point. Fresh brake fluid doesn’t boil so fast. I’ve always used the Super Blue brake fluid, and changed it every two years (sorta mandatory in Florida with the heat and humidity), so I’ve never seen smoke or a spongy feel from any of them. Again, that was my point. Sorry if it didn’t come off clearly. In any event, Nick may have a better answer. Between his and mine, and I think the OP has a solution.

Cheers,

maw
Sir if you have never made your brakes smoke you are not trying hard enough!

Many times I've parked the car in the garage... Step out... *sniff... Yup! A good morning! Usually it is burning tires.