S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Goodbye S55!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 04:42 PM
CFD

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
S55 AMG, C5 Z06, 928S (x2), Suburban, MKII Golf, MKIII Jetta (rally),
Goodbye S55!

Like many of you, I get joy out of purchasing a car in its "previous owner" condition and turning it into a total gem. The only problem is when its complete, I get bored. Thus I end up putting them up for sale and crying myself to sleep for the next few months. My S55 may be the best example of this for me. I went into W220 ownership expecting to have two things happen: prove to myself that AMG's are not maintenance nightmares and not really fall in love with the car. Well it turns out AMG's are maintenance nightmares, but only when not owned by someone with OCD. More importantly, I completely fell head over heels for this car. You know the feeling you had for your first girlfriend? This is worse.

I am a ride-or-die manual transmission, limited slip, N/A vehicles only kind of guy and this car has fought its way to being my only conceivable exception to those rules. First off, comfort. ABC, when brought up to off-the-lot condition, is hands down the most comfortable suspension package anyone can have. Porsche air ride, BMW adaptive suspension, Mercedes AirMatic... you name it, they do not hold a candle to the comfort level of ABC. Not to go without mentioning the seats feel like that one recliner at the furniture store you have to be asked to get out of because its half an hour past close. Second, the utilitarian aspect of the W220 platform. A trunk large enough to fit the entire dead horse from Godfather in. Maybe Don should have had a W220. The rear legroom is a godsend for any passengers over 6ft tall as they can actually stretch out and be comfortable. I found myself constantly chauffeuring friends and family around because of the space available and how nice it is, which brings me to my third point - BUILD QUALITY. The carpet is thicker than a Snickers, the windows are high lead double-pane Pilkington glass, every damn object on the car is held on with 40 nuts, bolts, clamps, clips and retaining screws... It's a serious piece of work. Last but definitely not least, performance. We're talking about 12.2 @ 119 with a 2.0 60' level of performance. Nothing pisses off a Mustang owner more than getting passed in their drag car by a 4800lbs Mercedes knowing the driver is getting his *** cooled and massaged as he sips on a Fanta.

I really love his car - maybe more than is healthy. However, all good things must come to an end allowing us to begin a new thing. I plan on buying a house and this will be my down payment. So I bid you all adieu and hope to see you again!

For Sale - S55 AMG Designo Edition

Farewell my friends.

Last edited by CFD; 02-27-2018 at 04:54 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CFD:
maw1124 (03-01-2018), Vmax_ (05-17-2022)
Old 04-26-2018, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bimmers but car less now
Talking

Originally Posted by CFD
Like many of you, I get joy out of purchasing a car in its "previous owner" condition and turning it into a total gem. The only problem is when its complete, I get bored. Thus I end up putting them up for sale and crying myself to sleep for the next few months. My S55 may be the best example of this for me. I went into W220 ownership expecting to have two things happen: prove to myself that AMG's are not maintenance nightmares and not really fall in love with the car. Well it turns out AMG's are maintenance nightmares, but only when not owned by someone with OCD. More importantly, I completely fell head over heels for this car. You know the feeling you had for your first girlfriend? This is worse.

I am a ride-or-die manual transmission, limited slip, N/A vehicles only kind of guy and this car has fought its way to being my only conceivable exception to those rules. First off, comfort. ABC, when brought up to off-the-lot condition, is hands down the most comfortable suspension package anyone can have. Porsche air ride, BMW adaptive suspension, Mercedes AirMatic... you name it, they do not hold a candle to the comfort level of ABC. Not to go without mentioning the seats feel like that one recliner at the furniture store you have to be asked to get out of because its half an hour past close. Second, the utilitarian aspect of the W220 platform. A trunk large enough to fit the entire dead horse from Godfather in. Maybe Don should have had a W220. The rear legroom is a godsend for any passengers over 6ft tall as they can actually stretch out and be comfortable. I found myself constantly chauffeuring friends and family around because of the space available and how nice it is, which brings me to my third point - BUILD QUALITY. The carpet is thicker than a Snickers, the windows are high lead double-pane Pilkington glass, every damn object on the car is held on with 40 nuts, bolts, clamps, clips and retaining screws... It's a serious piece of work. Last but definitely not least, performance. We're talking about 12.2 @ 119 with a 2.0 60' level of performance. Nothing pisses off a Mustang owner more than getting passed in their drag car by a 4800lbs Mercedes knowing the driver is getting his *** cooled and massaged as he sips on a Fanta.

I really love his car - maybe more than is healthy. However, all good things must come to an end allowing us to begin a new thing. I plan on buying a house and this will be my down payment. So I bid you all adieu and hope to see you again!

Farewell my friends.
I just read your post, Im sitting in a plane at 35,000 feet laughing out loud to myself....people around me are starting to worry....maybe I'll break out a tiny religion book and silently pray moving my lips rocking back and forth
Old 04-30-2018, 04:25 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
97 Lexus LS400, 04 Mustang, 08 Corvette Z51, 92 Honda Civic Si, 02 CL500, 03 E500
Bimmer2AMG- That's so funny. I couldn't help but laughing as well.
Old 11-13-2020, 01:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
13' CLS63
Originally Posted by CFD

Farewell my friends.

by any chance do u still have this car or can put me in contact with the new owner. It was my first car about 8-9 years ago and im trying to purchase it again. thank you
The following users liked this post:
PeteyV (11-13-2020)
Old 11-15-2020, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 453 Likes on 339 Posts
222 S-65
Originally Posted by aldinbekk
by any chance do u still have this car or can put me in contact with the new owner. It was my first car about 8-9 years ago and im trying to purchase it again. thank you
Withdrawal from AMG crack makes that of H seem as a mild craving for things salty by comparison.

OP will be back. I give him a year.