S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

new plugs on S65

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 08:08 PM

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
new plugs on S65

So I finally decided to change the plugs in the V12 today and it was interesting but not impossible by any means. The plugs were the original to the car at 78,000 miles.
I will say the plugs in the front of the engine were way way cleaner and nicer than the rear ones. Night and day difference really. I thought the drivers side coil pack removal and reinstall was the hardest part of the job. I decided to put a new coil pack on the diver side and the passenger side was rebuilt a few hundred miles ago. Now I have a spare working drivers coil pack I guess.
Of course while doing the job I broke the coolant expansion tank hose off so I had to order a few more parts. Oh well. Next I will flush the ABC, replace the trans filter and fluid, new fuel filter and some fresh oil.
Old 04-01-2018, 05:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 S600
Originally Posted by DRTYLNDY
So I finally decided to change the plugs in the V12 today and it was interesting but not impossible by any means. The plugs were the original to the car at 78,000 miles.
I will say the plugs in the front of the engine were way way cleaner and nicer than the rear ones. Night and day difference really. I thought the drivers side coil pack removal and reinstall was the hardest part of the job. I decided to put a new coil pack on the diver side and the passenger side was rebuilt a few hundred miles ago. Now I have a spare working drivers coil pack I guess.
Of course while doing the job I broke the coolant expansion tank hose off so I had to order a few more parts. Oh well. Next I will flush the ABC, replace the trans filter and fluid, new fuel filter and some fresh oil.
I have the plugs, tools and a couple of other parts sitting in a box in the garage waiting for about 4-5 uninterrupted weekend hours to change mine on the 2011 S600. Just turned 76000.
A couple of questions:
What gap did you use? .028 or .032 or something else?
I have heard the inter-coolers can be moved out of the way without disconnecting the hoses? Can you confirm?
Steel plugs and aluminum heads are always scary...any issues getting them out? did you use a bit of copper anti-seize on the install.
Still 17 ft lbs on the torque correct?
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-01-2018, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 265 Posts
2006 S600
The gaps should be 0.028", never 0.040" on turbo engines, or you will misfire and kill the coil packs.
Recommended plugs are NGK IFR6Q-G.
Yes, intercoolers can be moved without disconnecting.
No problems getting plugs out, but don't over-tighten on re-fitting.
When you have the coil packs out, inspect them to make sure the metal cylinders on each coil are not split along the braze line - that's a sign of an overheated coil that needs replacing.
Take care and take your time removing and re-fitting the coil packs.
Go easy with the coil pack bolts.

Nick
The following users liked this post:
Touringman (04-02-2018)