S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Where to get a key fob and Key other than the dealer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 05:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 S63, 2018 S63 with Carbon Ceramic brakes
Where to get a key fob and Key other than the dealer?

Dealer wants $500 for the duplicate key and remote FOB for 2011-2013 S63... which is crazy money. I have a remote FOB. I just want to have an extra one, just in case I lose it since the dealer needs a few days to order and receive another one. I don't want to be stuck without a FOB for a few days

Does anybody know a place that can duplicate and program a new FOB?
Old 03-14-2019, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 300 TD
Just got the same quote from MB. I have an ‘07 S65 but it came with only one smart key. Of additional concern, the metal key within the fob doesn’t work on this car (trunk or driver’s door) so, if my car battery dies, I can’t even get into car. Hope that someone answers you on this topic.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:11 PM

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
2023 AMG EQE 53
MB has their keys locked down so tight that you have to go to the dealer to buy but more important is to let them make it communicate with the car. I checked a long time first class locksmith and they have them for everything else and said for MB you need to go to the dealer.
I took a quick look on Amazon and all comments were it needed programing and dealer would not touch it from several vendors so people are selling cheap knockoffs but you can't get them to work.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:22 PM

1987 300 TD
Originally Posted by Tirgoman
MB has their keys locked down so tight that you have to go to the dealer to buy but more important is to let them make it communicate with the car. I checked a long time first class locksmith and they have them for everything else and said for MB you need to go to the dealer.
I took a quick look on Amazon and all comments were it needed programing and dealer would not touch it from several vendors so people are selling cheap knockoffs but you can't get them to work.

Totally agree. I have hesitated from buying fob online due to reports that Mercedes will not program these aftermarket keys. Local MB dealership says that they don’t even program keys. They require a title to the car and then they order the fob from the only MB facility that works with these keys, which is in Texas.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:21 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2007 e63
Second the above. You will need to show your car registration to the dealer. It’s a security concern so that the key can talk to the car. Sadly, this is the way cars work now. More cutting car keys for your 1986 Camry now at the Home Depot. Good luck.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:03 PM

1987 300 TD
Ah, remember the good ol’ Days when you could go to ACE hardware and get a car key duplicated for $2.
Actually understand and, frankly, appreciate Mercedes’ commitment to security. Just a tad upset because I think that they gouge you on the replacement key price. I mean, if you can go online and get the electronic key for $20, imagine what MB’s true cost is? A few minutes to program and they up charge to $500.