S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

About to buy a new Mercedes. 2001 Cl500 or s55 AMG?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w215 Cl65 AMG
About to buy a new Mercedes. 2001 Cl500 or s55 AMG?

Hey guys hope your all doing well.

I'm 20 years old located in the midwest and am looking at purchasing my first car. I went through my Honda hot boi / jdm ricer days in highschool, luckily without buying one of those cars since my parents would let me buy a "junk old car". Well I'm still young but I'm looking at purchasing a much nicer car for myself. I'm a car enthusiast and am a fan of performance, but I'm also a techie and care about styling of a car. Long story short, Mercedes seemed like the brand that was meant for me.

I'm either going to buy an 01 cl500 or an 01 s55 amg. TBH I'm having trouble making a decision, as they are the same price. Cl 500 has 113k miles, s55 has 217k. S55 has the more powerful hand built 5.5 na m113 while the cl has the 5.0 m113. I already know there mlboth going to be significantly faster than the Kia I'm use to driving, but why leave performance on the table? They both need some work done to them. S55 need the trunk realigned while the cl needs a new radio. Both have some slight exterior wear that will need to be dealt with, and interior parts that need replacing, but that's what you expect for an 19 year old car. Which one would you guys recommend? Once again, I'm happy to be a part of this community and hope to restore either one of these cars to their formal glory!

Last edited by Caleb Stallion; 12-29-2018 at 10:55 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:00 AM

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
My guess is that the Cl500 will be less expensive to maintain for you. The S55 has the first gen ABC which is known to be problematic over time.
Good luck
Johan
Old 12-30-2018, 08:17 AM

w215 Cl65 AMG
Originally Posted by DRTYLNDY
My guess is that the Cl500 will be less expensive to maintain for you. The S55 has the first gen ABC which is known to be problematic over time.
Good luck
Johan
Thats for the reply! I believe they both would have the first gen ABC since they are both the same year (2001) correct? It could come down to the mileage difference. But it could also be possible that the higher mileage s55 AMG has already had the system replaced. I already bought the car fax for the cl500 and the ABC has not needed to be fixed. I'll have to do more research on the s class. I am leaning towards the s55 cause of that AMG badge if you can tell 😀.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 455 Likes on 339 Posts
222 S-65
OP....

How mechanically inclined are you?

How many miles do you expect to drive annually? You love cars and driving? If so; Take your current figure for annual miles and multiply it by 3-5 because AMG crack.

What is your no BS budget for looking after a car that cost six figures new and is going to require regular babysitting? There are many many cost-cutting work-arounds for when things happen.... Others will just $ting.

You ask which one.... Obviously the force-fed 5.5 liter.

AMG crack.... First hit is free!
Old 12-30-2018, 10:55 PM

w215 Cl65 AMG
Originally Posted by JohnLane
OP....

How mechanically inclined are you?

How many miles do you expect to drive annually? You love cars and driving? If so; Take your current figure for annual miles and multiply it by 3-5 because AMG crack.

What is your no BS budget for looking after a car that cost six figures new and is going to require regular babysitting? There are many many cost-cutting work-arounds for when things happen.... Others will just $ting.

You ask which one.... Obviously the force-fed 5.5 liter.

AMG crack.... First hit is free!
Well I have very limited experience with a dually working on cars, but I am mechanically inclined and would be able to change oil, gaskets, coolant, belts, ect on a car with the help of the internet and owner's manual. I do enjoy driving but I will primarily drive it over the summer or whenever I'm home from school. It cost too much to ship the car to Florida so it will stay back home most of the time. I'd be hard pressed to put 5000 miles on it in a year, as everything I drive to is for the most part local. I haven't really thought about a no BS budget, but let's say 1500? Once the ABC goes out I'd probably just install some custom coilovers. I also plan on detailing the car, upgraded head unit, new wheels, and performance modifications regardless of which model I get, even though the s55 will have more aftermarket support. Also this one is natrually aspirated, not supercharged.
Old 01-01-2019, 12:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

222 S-65
You want the supercharged engine with the big brakes ect ect it comes with.
Old 01-01-2019, 02:56 AM

w215 Cl65 AMG
You want the supercharged engine with the big brakes ect ect it comes with.
So your saying I should wait and save for a later model s55 amg?
Old 01-01-2019, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

222 S-65
Originally Posted by Caleb Stallion
Drive both.... Research what it takes to keep them on the road... Be sure that you are up to it.

I know which mistriss I prefer. I reached for S65.

Choose well. Best wishes.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 265 Likes on 214 Posts
'06 MB S55 AMG; '04 Audi Allroad 4.2; '05 BMW M3 Conv.; '92 MB 500E
Originally Posted by Caleb Stallion
Yes. He’s probably forgetting that the first S55 wasn’t supercharged. That didn’t come along until ‘03. I agree. The supercharged versions of both cars make the naturally aspirated ones look and feel silly. Not to mention the updated Navi / COMAND system. Try to move into a supercharged one from ‘03 forward. Good ones can be had for around $10k, but it may take you a while to find a good one.

maw
Old 01-02-2019, 06:10 AM

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Drive both.... Research what it takes to keep them on the road... Be sure that you are up to it.

I know which mistriss I prefer. I reached for S65.

Choose well. Best wishes.
I like this one "I know which mistress I prefer. I reached for the S65."
My wife couldn't agree more!!!
Johan