S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

New 2006 S65 owner!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 03:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 S65 AMG
New 2006 S65 owner!

Just purchased my first V12 Mercedes! I’ve heard all the horror stories about owning and maintaining a V12 (especially a AMG V12) but I found one for a very good price and I could not pass on it. I’m up for the challenge! So from the start I knew the car had suspension issues (surprise surprise) but nothing crazy, Coil pack for cylinders 7-12 is pretty much dead, and drivers seat needs the get reupholstered. I love the car and love the way feels and I’m ready for all the challenges it has to offer. Besides the missfire engine is strong and transmission perfect. Especially for 140k miles I’m shocked! No leaks what so ever and to make it better it’s been dealer serviced it’s whole life. I purchased the car from the second owner who purchased the car back in 2008 and he had all the service records from 2008-2019. I’m planning on changing all 24 spark plugs when I replace the coil pack. Obviously engine oil, air filters, etc as well. I don’t think I’m going to touch the transmission fluid unless it due for it ( I have to go through the service records). Any advice on this beautiful S65? Anything specific I should look out for? I know the mileage is a bit high but when you find a s65 for the price of a 2001 S430 you can’t pass on it or at least I couldn’t 😂 -Thanks guys!
Old 06-15-2019, 10:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 S65 AMG Renntech
Talking I HAVE THE 2007 S65 AMG REENTECH WITH ADVICE

Hello,

The V12 AMG is the most expensive car to repair to the other AMG's. I've spent $3100.00 on the passenger coil pack and replaced all spark plugs at Mercedes dealership. My point, just the parts alone will cost you a pretty penny, but, if you can get the car to its original specs, you will absolutely enjoy this car. Some repairs can be done at a small shop, and some big repairs need to go back to the dealership due to the software issues or specs.
Hopefully this helps?

Eric
Old 06-15-2019, 11:52 PM

2007 S65
I just replaced the passenger side coil pack on my 2007 S65. Contact www.v12icpack.com for the replacement coil. Highly recommend and knowledgeable. You can replace it yourself. It’s easy. Just take your time and don’t strip any bolts.

If the driver’s side coil pack isn’t messing up don’t mess with it! Don’t take it off and don’t replace those plugs. There’s a chance you’ll screw it up.

I ordered my plugs from Rock Auto and they were the cheapest I could find for the OEM plugs.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 455 Likes on 339 Posts
222 S-65
Congrats OP.

Give it the coil and that set of 12 plugs. Take your time. Move that coil a little at a time. Rear... Middle... Front... Middle... Rear... It will come out. Look at the replacement coil pack to see how it is assembled and how you need to gently pry it off the spark plugs.
You will get to bleed the charge cooling circuit once the coil is reinstalled. Take your time. This is your opportunity to change that coolant too.

Service the transmission in addition to other fluids you spoke of. Easy work. I change my trans oil at least every other engine oil change. I can feel the difference in shift quality. Really.

Enjoy the car. This will be an abusive relationship. With rewards. Your S-65 is that woman. You'll see.

Last edited by JohnLane; 06-16-2019 at 04:17 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:11 PM

06 S65 AMG
Thanks for the info Guys!

Thanks for all the info guys! I have already started working on the car and I’m doing all the work myself. On my spare time I fix whatever I can. The rear main seal is leaking a lot of oil! I’m looking forward to removing the transmission 😅 I have my own shop so when work gets a little slower I’ll knock it out. I really can’t wait until this car is ready!
So far done coils, Spark plugs, valve cover gaskets, and a few little things. I will definitely keep you guys updated on the work I do with pictures.
BTW just out of curiosity I called the dealer and asked how much the oil filter is and they said 80 something dollars!!!!!!! I got a OEM one for $12 from worldpac 😂 I never get parts from the dealer and never will unless for whatever reason the part I need is dealer only. Thanks again guys!
And also I added fluid to the power steering revisor cause it was very low and the suspension went up on its own. That was the easiest fix 😂

Last edited by CarbonExotic; 06-16-2019 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 455 Likes on 339 Posts
222 S-65
The dealer sells the filter with the spin on plastic bit. Overkill but I did that when I replaced the motor. That plastic guy is age/wear item that doesn't want to be overtorqued. Overtorque and you'll hear that sickening 'crunch' as it happens.

Find where the ABC oil went. Fluid level drops after a nitrogen bomb dies. It will then be really rough over bumps. Change that fluid and it's filter as well.