S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

2007 S65 Battery Light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2020, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Ferrari 612 2007 S65 RENNtech Stage 2
2007 S65 Battery Light

I have an '07 S65 and the red battery light is coming up. Massage seats don't work and today, I got a message in the command center saying that the command center would shut down in 3 minutes if I didn't start the engine. I was driving at that point and three minutes later, the command center did shut down. Which battery controls these functions? Is this a dealer issue or can I recharge the battery? Thanks in advance!
Old 01-26-2020, 02:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 240 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by superchet
I have an '07 S65 and the red battery light is coming up. Massage seats don't work and today, I got a message in the command center saying that the command center would shut down in 3 minutes if I didn't start the engine. I was driving at that point and three minutes later, the command center did shut down. Which battery controls these functions? Is this a dealer issue or can I recharge the battery? Thanks in advance!
If the car is running when COMAND shuts down, it sounds like the alternator or some other problem with the charging system. It's conceivable the systems battery is so failed that it's acting like a short and preventing the consumers from getting voltage from the alternator. It's also possible that any of a number of other components from SAM to battery control module are to blame. You need to have the car scanned for codes. If it is a shorted battery, that could kill the alternator quickly, so sooner rather than later.
Old 01-26-2020, 01:03 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
S65 GL320CDI GLS63 80 Series Landcruiser
2007 has the battery under hood for starting only. Behind back seats in the trunk there is a larger battery which runs the rest of the car. That would be where I'd start troubleshooting. My starter battery up front lasts maybe 3 years. My trunk battery is still original in my 2008 so they do last a while but of course not forever. There's also a small battery somewhere behind the dash on the driver's side behind the fuse panel that I believe is supposed to allow the car to shift into N to move it in case everything's totally dead. If that's original I'd replace it along with the trunk battery.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 240 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by UNderdog
2007 has the battery under hood for starting only. Behind back seats in the trunk there is a larger battery which runs the rest of the car. That would be where I'd start troubleshooting. My starter battery up front lasts maybe 3 years. My trunk battery is still original in my 2008 so they do last a while but of course not forever. There's also a small battery somewhere behind the dash on the driver's side behind the fuse panel that I believe is supposed to allow the car to shift into N to move it in case everything's totally dead. If that's original I'd replace it along with the trunk battery.
There are only two batteries. The aux battery in the trunk was moved to the dash in facelift models. One or the other.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 609 Likes on 443 Posts
222 S-65
OP... Start with checking voltage as it runs. If command is not working measure voltage across battery in trunk. Should be 14 volts at idle.

alternator is likely dead.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Ferrari 612 2007 S65 RENNtech Stage 2
Major issues on a short drive today. Power steering and ABS off. Engine fluttering and eventually stalling. Going into dealership tomorrow.

Thx for everyone's advice.
Old 01-31-2020, 04:51 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2005 s55 amg
Originally Posted by superchet
Major issues on a short drive today. Power steering and ABS off. Engine fluttering and eventually stalling. Going into dealership tomorrow.

Thx for everyone's advice.
Definitely a shot alternator. This happened to my s55. I was driving down the road and the command shut off. Then the abc and traction control freaked out. After another minute or so of trying to make it to a parking lot the car started getting stuck in gears. Eventually I rolled to a stop with the engine shutting off. Suck in the Middle of an intersection without even enough power to run my hazards and a 4300 pound car to push.