S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Cylinder 1 misfire at WOT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2020, 04:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2005 s55 amg
Cylinder 1 misfire at WOT

Hey guys. I've got a 2005 s55 AMG that's just about to hit 100k miles (99900). I've looked all over the forum and I can't seem to find a solid answer on this. At WOT the last few days I've had a cylinder misfire on just the first cylinder. It pulls all the way through 1st and 2nd gear then shifts into third and loses all power and starts missing. After it throws the code the car stumbles terribly until it gets restarted. (For the record I tested the code and it is a P0301 cylinder 1 misfire detected code). I was thinking about switching the coil pack around and seeing if the error follows but I'm not sure what else to do. About a month ago it had a fuel injector go out so I've been using fuel injector cleaners fairly regularly (monthly-ish). Just last week I put in chevron techron fuel cleaner with 8 gallons of shell v-power 91 octane. Lemme know if you guys have any ideas!
Old 02-02-2020, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 609 Likes on 443 Posts
222 S-65
OP.... Be thankful! It gave you a cylinder to go and look at!

Pull spark plugs... If it needs two it needs 16. That is a fine opportunity to do a compression test.

Swap a coil with it's neighbor. Problem moves? You know what to do. If one coil has failed... Is better to do all eight or you will get to rinse/repeat seven more times in the next couple years for much aggravation.

Engine wiring harness is old enough to have brittle plastic connectors. Be gentle and don't break things.

You will find helpful information in the W211 E-55 forum. Same engine in cars driven by savages.

Last edited by JohnLane; 02-02-2020 at 01:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
maw1124 (02-02-2020)
Old 02-02-2020, 05:02 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2005 s55 amg
Originally Posted by JohnLane
OP.... Be thankful! It gave you a cylinder to go and look at!

Pull spark plugs... If it needs two it needs 16. That is a fine opportunity to do a compression test.

Swap a coil with it's neighbor. Problem moves? You know what to do. If one coil has failed... Is better to do all eight or you will get to rinse/repeat seven more times in the next couple years for much aggravation.

Engine wiring harness is old enough to have brittle plastic connectors. Be gentle and don't break things.

You will find helpful information in the W211 E-55 forum. Same engine in cars driven by savages.
It’s really strange a bottle of berrymans fuel injector cleaner completely fixed it. Which is weird because I just put chevron fuel injector cleaner in it a week earlier and it didn’t help.
Old 02-03-2020, 02:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 609 Likes on 443 Posts
222 S-65
Originally Posted by Rmolter
It’s really strange a bottle of berrymans fuel injector cleaner completely fixed it. Which is weird because I just put chevron fuel injector cleaner in it a week earlier and it didn’t help.
lol... It has gone into remission. Snake oil didn't fix anything. You'll see.