S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

2010 S63 Braking/ESP Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 S63
2010 S63 Braking/ESP Problems

I have a 2010 S63 with about 60K on it that has developed an odd braking issue that results in the car applying the front brakes and in some cases causing the car to stop. Here is what is happening:

• At 30MPH, the front brakes apply (by themselves) moderately for no reason for about 5-7 seconds. It is more noticeable the colder it is and only happens after the car is first started
  • If the back wheels break free/spin the car will not only cut the throttle but also apply the brakes. This tends to happen mostly when heavy on the throttle in corners
  • Last night I was traveling on a newly-paved interstate in rainy conditions where there was pooling water; as my rear tires are getting close to needing to be replaced, the rear wheels broke free/hydroplaned very easily causing the ESP light to come on repeatedly. When this happened, the throttle was cut but the brakes applied as well, bringing the car to a stop. Because the road was wet and smooth, the rear wheels would spin and the car would not move.
  • The only way to get the brakes to release was the turn the car off, wait about 5-10 seconds and start it back up....then the brakes would release.
  • The only lights I get on the dash are ESP warnings...no other lights come on at all.
The issue with the brakes locking up only began after I had to perform a hard stop (activating the ABS) after some idiot walked in front of my car while jaywalking; the slowdown at 30MPH was there prior to that.

For testing purposes, I put the car in Dyno mode to deactivate ESP and ABS and that took care of the brakes activating when the wheels spin. However, I still get the temporary braking at 30MPH after first stating the car. Also, I scanned for codes with something other than a Star computer and nothing related to ESP or ABS comes up

I was thinking lateral movement/Yaw sensor but now I'm not so sure.

Suggestions?
Old 03-27-2020, 02:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 609 Likes on 443 Posts
222 S-65
Time to plug her into a real computer.

she wants to tell her tale of woe.

Do report back with what you learn.