S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

04 S55 Factory ME 2.8.1 Coding?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2021, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 94 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
04 S55 Factory ME 2.8.1 Coding?

Good day fellow AMG enthusiast,

Although I have not had the spare time to spend on my new-to-me S55 that I would like, I have had time here and there to do a few things. When I had DAS connected checking for any Faults or Events, I entered the ME 2.8.1 Control Unit using the path Control Units | Drive | ME-SFI 2.8 | Control Unit Adaptations | Variant Coding | Display of Coding Data | Coding. As I am sure most of you know, this allows viewing of the current ME settings, but does not allow changing. Yes, it can be changed using other means and methods, however I have not made any changes and wonder if the settings that I have highlighted match the settings you find in your ME for the Air Conditioning Compressor set to being engaged permanently? My initial thoughts is perhaps this particular setting is not actually mapped to the Air Conditioner Compressor, but perhaps the low temperature coolant pump?

If you have time to view these settings on your vehicle I would be interested to see how they compare. If you could also not if your vehicle has been tuned or not, and also the year of the vehicle. Mine is a YoM 2004 with a manufacturing date of October 2003. I have attached a PDF of the DAS output in this menu and highlighted the ones I thought were questionable.

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ME281_Coding.pdf (78.7 KB, 285 views)

Last edited by Polar Bear; 06-12-2021 at 05:01 PM.
Old 06-13-2021, 02:06 PM

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
200ft Passenger Ship, 2016 Camry, 2004 Trailblazer, 2005 S55 AMG
The AC compressors on our cars and most, if not all new vehicles have clutchless AC compressors. So no matter what you do it will always stay "engaged". It uses a solenoid valve to open and close to allow refrigerant to flow. Hope that helps.

Chris
Old 06-13-2021, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
Thanks for the response.

You are right - most cars have automatic climate control that keeps the A/C enabled with a variable engagement clutch to it can be run at a 10% to 100%.

This coding contradicts the other Mercedes-Benz vehicles I have checked this on, such as a W221 S600. My initial thoughts were perhaps this ECU coding could have been used for something else - perhaps the Heat Exchanger pump, except it does not run all of the time by default.

A theory was that the ECU was tuned in the past and these settings in the ECU M113k platform could be used to enable something else perhaps. A test I could get another ECU and that I could flash it with the stock coding and maps, and then check these settings.

I also noticed some (to me) unusual Actual Values related to the Kompressor as well that I may post and anyone that can check theirs with DAS it would be interesting compare.

Thanks!
Old 06-13-2021, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CaptainR
The AC compressors on our cars and most, if not all new vehicles have clutchless AC compressors. So no matter what you do it will always stay "engaged". It uses a solenoid valve to open and close to allow refrigerant to flow. Hope that helps.

Chris
Thanks for the response.

The obvious sound and engagement of the clutch of the A/C Compressor I have always found annoying - more on some cars that others. I had a Corvette ZR-1 in the early 1990s (when the C4 ZR-1 was still bing produced) and for some reason it was obvious when it engaged as you could almost always tell the very small drop of power. Other cars do that as well of course (mostly underpowered 4-cylinder cars). It also is a reminder that one's A/C coolant circuit has been leaking Freon when it kicks in and out every 20 seconds and will have to be serviced or you will not be enjoying driving your vehicle on some of these hot days!

You are right - most cars have automatic climate control that keeps the A/C enabled with a variable engagement clutch to it can be run at a 10% to 100%.

This coding contradicts the other Mercedes-Benz vehicles I have checked this on, such as a W221 S600. My initial thoughts were perhaps this ECU coding could have been used for something else - perhaps the Heat Exchanger pump, except it does not run all of the time by default.

A theory was that the ECU was tuned in the past and these settings in the ECU M113k platform could be used to enable something else perhaps. A test I could get another ECU and that I could flash it with the stock coding and maps, and then check these settings.

I also noticed some (to me) unusual Actual Values related to the Kompressor as well that I may post and anyone that can check theirs with DAS it would be interesting compare.

Thanks!
Old 06-13-2021, 07:29 PM
SPONSOR

Received 813 Likes on 630 Posts
WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
Originally Posted by Polar Bear

Although I have not had the spare time to spend on my new-to-me S55 that I would like, I have had time here and there to do a few things. When I had DAS connected checking for any Faults or Events, I entered the ME 2.8.1 Control Unit using the path Control Units | Drive | ME-SFI 2.8 | Control Unit Adaptations | Variant Coding | Display of Coding Data | Coding. As I am sure most of you know, this allows viewing of the current ME settings, but does not allow changing. Yes, it can be changed using other means and methods, however I have not made any changes and wonder if the settings that I have highlighted match the settings you find in your ME for the Air Conditioning Compressor set to being engaged permanently? My initial thoughts is perhaps this particular setting is not actually mapped to the Air Conditioner Compressor, but perhaps the low temperature coolant pump?

If you have time to view these settings on your vehicle I would be interested to see how they compare. If you could also not if your vehicle has been tuned or not, and also the year of the vehicle. Mine is a YoM 2004 with a manufacturing date of October 2003. I have attached a PDF of the DAS output in this menu and highlighted the ones I thought were questionable.

Thanks!
It takes me 5 min to unlock your ecu and change whatever you want to change
all by remote
Old 06-13-2021, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BenzNinja
It takes me 5 min to unlock your ecu and change whatever you want to change
all by remote
Thanks for the offer . I also can do that, but was mainly wondering why these codings for the Air Conditioner were not what I have seen on other Mercedes-Benz models. The ME-SFI 2.8.1 AMG ECU is not locked using Seed Key and can be changed under DAS or Vediamo, etc. without any issue and written to the ECU.
Old 06-14-2021, 12:06 AM

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
200ft Passenger Ship, 2016 Camry, 2004 Trailblazer, 2005 S55 AMG
Coding is beyond my expertise lol. My trailblazer has a clutched compressor, but my wife's camry is clutchless like on my s55 and other cars I've owned over the years.

First time I seen this was on a genesis I bought new in 2012. Took it straight to the dealer and said my AC clutch is stuck on. Little did I know lol

It would be neat to code the HE pump to stay on all the time, but then it shortens the lifespan. I couldn't get into coding like you as I would be scared I would mess things up really bad.

Chris
Old 06-14-2021, 04:10 AM
SPONSOR

WWW.BENZNINJA.COM

As I am sure most of you know, this allows viewing of the current ME settings, but does not allow changing.
Thanks!
sorry I read this, thinking you had that problem
depending on the firmware, options apear and go
firmware can be changed also
there is no rule, depending on versions, models, years
this is why you can never exactly tell in advance what is possible and not
Old 06-14-2021, 04:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BenzNinja
sorry I read this, thinking you had that problem
depending on the firmware, options apear and go
firmware can be changed also
there is no rule, depending on versions, models, years
this is why you can never exactly tell in advance what is possible and not
I perhaps should have worded my posts somewhat differently. My reasoning for phrasing it that way was I am sure that many users on here have obtained their own version of Star Diagnostics or Xentry to work on their own cars (illegitimate or otherwise), and may or may not have the access level to change these settings. If they ordered a diagnostic tool from some, let's say unethical resellers of knock-off products, they often give users more than what they need, opening them up to damage their car that were not even designed for Mercedes-Benz trained dealer techs to use. Using a dealer Xentry machine will not allow these settings to be changed, and provides no way to do so. I also would hate to encourage someone to alter some of these settings and cause undesirable effects by doing so. I know the W221 E55 subform covers many of these non-standard codings to customize how their car behaves, so anyone looking to do so would find much of the coding locate in that forum applicable here.

I need to get up with you about your ABC stuff soon and that it can do for a W221 S600, and is it easily reversible if the current value/measurements are recorded and saved in Vediamo?
The following users liked this post:
CaptainR (06-14-2021)
Old 06-14-2021, 12:27 PM
SPONSOR

WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
I perhaps should have worded my posts somewhat differently. My reasoning for phrasing it that way was I am sure that many users on here have obtained their own version of Star Diagnostics or Xentry to work on their own cars (illegitimate or otherwise), and may or may not have the access level to change these settings. If they ordered a diagnostic tool from some, let's say unethical resellers of knock-off products, they often give users more than what they need, opening them up to damage their car that were not even designed for Mercedes-Benz trained dealer techs to use. Using a dealer Xentry machine will not allow these settings to be changed, and provides no way to do so. I also would hate to encourage someone to alter some of these settings and cause undesirable effects by doing so. I know the W221 E55 subform covers many of these non-standard codings to customize how their car behaves, so anyone looking to do so would find much of the coding locate in that forum applicable here.

I need to get up with you about your ABC stuff soon and that it can do for a W221 S600, and is it easily reversible if the current value/measurements are recorded and saved in Vediamo?
Yes sure
All my work records the orginal settings and firmwares and everything is alsways reversible, even the firmware upgrades as notthing resists me
and biggest point to remember is, I never ever use other's cars as test toy. All I do is safe.
The following users liked this post:
Polar Bear (06-18-2021)
Old 06-18-2021, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Good deal! I will be in touch. I have chatted with you so I know you know what you are doing!

Last edited by Polar Bear; 06-18-2021 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Edited to make sense after mangled from mobile browser.
Old 06-18-2021, 12:49 PM
SPONSOR

WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
Good deal! I will be in touch. I have chatted with you so I know you know what you are so I know what you are doing.
my pleasure
Old 11-29-2021, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cls55

Thanks!
hello guys,iam new to forum iam having problems with esp control modul after try to delete air injection pump in variant coding,my cars is cls55 iwc,please if someone can help,today i was at dealer to do scn online but he couldnt do it,some errors accour,thnx