S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

What did you pay for your S55?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 01:06 PM
msm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What did you pay for your S55?

Thinking of buying a new S55 and am wondering what people are paying?

Is the delaer jamming you for more than sticker?

You can just say over or under sticker.......thanks.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
paid sticker...there is no reason why someone should pay over-sticker.

based on my experience...purchasing my 2nd s55....they don't discount the car at all.

I try to work it a little...in turn...I got little gifts from the mb catalog....better than nothing.

There's NO reason to pay over sticker...they are easy to get....you just have to order and wait......unlike a Ferrari....where you may end up waiting 3 years and still get nothing.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:33 PM
DHH

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Panamera Turbo, R63, "71 280SL
I got 5K off sticker.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:43 PM

MB & BMW
You can get 5k below sticker these days due to the new S55 coming
Old 09-15-2004, 12:40 AM

Hi...
I'd be interested to know which dealer was willing to give 5k off.

thanks

rslpartners
Old 09-20-2004, 03:03 PM

Hi I'm a new member to this forum. I just found your sight a week ago and decided to join

Last week I visited a local dealership, where they had two '04 S55 (one black, one white). At the time I was interested in the E55...However, at almost $90K, the E55 seems to be a lot of dough for a "smaller" car. In reviewing some of the specs between the E55 and the S55, the S55 seems to be on par performance wise. Is this the case in the real world? (Just so you know, I've previously owned M3's and recently owned a E39 M5, so I'm in the market for a performance sedan).

Secondly, is it possible to get a discount off of MSRP at dealerships that already have an AMG models in stock?

Thirdly, when I inquired about ordering an E55, the sales rep replied that there would be a $5,000 markup if I purchased, but not if I leased a E55 (as they would make their money on the lease). This does not make sense to me as I would be placing an order and they would have a name "attached" to the car when it arrives at the dealership. Finally, what should I expect to pay (in California) for a E55 or S55?

Thank you in advance for your courteous replies.
Kev-AMG
Old 09-21-2004, 04:42 PM

...would appreciate any replies here, Thanks.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:14 AM

Hi....

1) If you are looking for an ultimate performance sedan...I highly recommend the S55. As mentioned to previous members in other threads...my '05 will be here in two weeks. This is my second S55. My first was an '02, and like others whom bought the same year and before me, got shafted. The car handles like it's on rails, and at the time....it was one of the fastest sedans. Since then, AMG/MBZ has made many intricate refinements, and this will definitely haul. I already test drove one at a local dealer and man does it rock! In regards to the E55....you are right....a lot of money for a little ride. My wife tried to talk me into one.....but damn that thing is small. Sometimes, I'd like to be the passenger and just be able to kick it in the back. The rear seating space seems smaller than a Honda Accord.

2) Based on my experience...I haven't been able to get the discounts that other members have gotten. My last post requested others to post dealer information...but no one's responded.
Dealers pay flooring costs for vehicles sitting in their showroom. Naturally it would be in their best interest to move these vehicles. However, as "RARE" as these vehicles are because not many people can afford them...they are NOT that "RARE" that you can't order them. Back to my Ferrari scenario...(based on experience) FERRARI's are rare because people can't get them...that's why dealer's can charge a premium on used ones. MBZ/AMG...forget about it...if the dealer wants to make it up because it's physically there...I'd rather wait 6 months to a year (actually, it's only about 6-9 months) for a brand spanking new one with NO test drive miles, fresh off the truck, and the options I choose. I would not settle for options others have ordered....after all...your spending the cash anyways.

I try to work the dealer a little, but the most I got was some gifts from the MBZ catalog...which is better than nothing.

Without my rambling...Bottomline...if it's in the showroom and it suits you...DEFINITELY get a discount.

MAXIMUM TO PAY if you are ordering is MSRP.....Again...I rather wait to get one fresh off the truck...knowing no one's been in it.

3) The E55...let them keep it! I hate it when salespeople try to play the bluff game. I bet if you really want it and slam down the cash...they'll sell it to you without the 5k mark up....what a joke!

CA-you're looking at MSRP. You may find a dealer or someone like from the other post that has one coming in and willing to dump it for 3k under msrp if you don't mind the color. Somebody probably cancelled and now the dealer is stuck with it. If the color and options are in high demand...he might have swung the other way.

Anyways...good luck!
Old 09-22-2004, 02:57 PM

rslpartners,
Appreciate your response. I must figure out exactly how I want to use this next vehicle. Here is how I see my situation:

S55
Pros: Big motor, big car,great status
Cons: Big price, big car

It sounds as if the S55 will handle well, for a big car, but would I be better served buying a S500 and getting a "real" sports car? Or will the S55 keep me happy from a performance standpoint? I noticed in your signature that you have a couple of Ferrari's...hmmm

E55
Pros: Big motor, lighter weight
Cons: smaller car, still expensive, still an "E" but $30 grand less than S55

Comments welcome?
Cheers,
K
Old 09-23-2004, 12:57 AM

Hi Kev-AMG

Get the car because you like it....it's what you want as an auto enthusiast.

Who cares about the status...
Personally, I got no one to impress but myself.

An E55 is no chump change either...
If you're spending the money....30k is not going to make a difference.

If you get a S500 and another performance vehicle...you'll still end up spending more dough.

A S500 will suffice a person whose looking for a luxury vehicle and that's about it....but if you're an enthusiast as I think you are Kev-"AMG"...the 55 is your ride.

I thought about waiting for the next generation model, but word on the street is MBZ is going back to previous generation (Larger and more full body that is) style. After owning an 02...it's large enough for me....and over the years they've done an excellent job refining it.

If you wait for the next generation....which is said to be out in '06, word is that an AMG would be available until '07...then again....your don't want to get the 1st or 2nd year.

Therefore, I decided to get an '05, be happy, and keep it as a collector.

By the way....I have to change my profile....I sold the F355 Spider.
Personally, I thought that thing was a piece of crap.
Got a lot of attention, but overall, the S55 was more comfortable, felt more solid, and probably even maybe handled better.

I ended up picking up a BMW M3 SMG convertible in it's place. Less money...more torque...more toys...etc...etc...

Don't get me wrong...I would still get another Ferrari....if considering.....I truly believe Ferrari finally got their act together with the 360....more solid....more torque....and refinements.

I have a 360 Spider on order....chances are I will never get one because the wait list is 3 years long. They are just delivering vehicles for people that ordered in '02, and the 430 is coming next year in it's replacement.

I had asked them to move my deposit...but the "circle of friends" get first dibbs. This explanation is an example of people are able to get over MSRP even on vehicles 2-3 years old. If you walk into a Ferrari dealer...you can't get a new vehicle off the showroom...they're all used.
MBZ on the other hand....a dime a dozen.

Cheers!
Old 09-23-2004, 08:26 PM

MB & BMW
Hello Rsl and Kev.

You can get 5k below sticker at Laguna Niguel Mercedes.
Just talk to Syed Ali there and he'll take care of you.
Old 09-25-2004, 02:39 AM

AndyAMG...

Thanks for the info.

I contacted Syed today...and this guy's a joke!

I don't know what he told you...but he wasn't willing to budge on a S55 for 5k off, but said it may be possible for a S500.

We just went around and around in circles. He said he only had two S55 and are very rare...yadi...yadi...yah.

Anyways, he said he was going to build one on mbusa and call me back in 10 minutes and never heard from him again.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by rslpartners
Hi Kev-AMG

Get the car because you like it....it's what you want as an auto enthusiast.
..............I ended up picking up a BMW M3 SMG convertible in it's place. Less money...more torque...more toys...etc...etc...

Cheers!
Very good point rslpartners. It's funny because my brother kind of set me straight, telling me that "you're an enthusiast, the first thing you are concerned about is horsepower and 0-60 times", and you know what he is correct.

This weekend I decided that I will pick up a M3 (either coupe or convertible). Later, I will place an order on a S55, because I really do like the space it offers and the fact that it is rare, this way I have the best of both worlds. And besides, its only money, right?
Cheers,
KevAMG
Old 09-29-2004, 05:01 PM

Kev-AMG,

Good choice! I would highly recommend the convertible on the M3. It looks much more sleeker, and I think you'll enjoy it more topless than just having the sun-roof.

My understanding is that '05 is the last year for the M3 in this body style.
They're going to revamp the 3 series similar to what they've done with the others and personally...I don't think it'll ever grow on me. Then the M series won't come out for another year...and then you DEFINITELY don't want to get the first year.....etc...etc....

By the way...I received phone calls from both dealers on 9/28/04. Both my vehicles are in. My M3 is a '04, because '05 basically have no changes. I just have to go pick them up. Unfortunately, I'm just swamped and am trying very hard to make time to go get them.

One other thing .... your comment of "it's only money".....you're right....work hard....play hard brother! You can't take it with you! Just be sure to stay well ground....don't be one of those "fake-*** wanna-be ballers". Then again...why be a baller...just be yourself.

My last recommendation to you is...if you are going to spend the money and keep it....load it up with options.....SMG...NAV...Lumbar.......etc...etc...

I also recommend ordering one as oppose to taking one from the showroom.
That way...you know no one's dogged it on a test drive.

As a matter of fact...I just saw this dude driving a black M3 Convertible from the dealer I purchased mine from. He seemed happy cruising his new ride...but little did he know....I dogged the crap out of it on a test drive a few weeks earlier.

Post some pictures of your new ride when you get it.....although it is a S55 thread.

Good Luck!
Old 09-30-2004, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Blimp
yea, MB of laguna niguel sucks, go to Fletcher jones and ask for Eric tell him Danny sent you
Old 09-30-2004, 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
Lagune Niguel is a wannabe. They wannabe Fletcher Jones, but only succeed in making Fletcher look even more appealing.

My CLK430 was making some noises (exhuast rattles) and high idle, I took it in this morning with no appointment and I was taken care of an given a C240 loaner car for free. It doesn't get any more convenienent than that!

The S55 retails for around $120,000? In my opinion the S55 is more pimp than the E55. E-class tail lights look like a Camry from the rear, but the S55 is distinct.

Personally, I would get an S55 (forget the upcoming body style) and a 996 Cabriolet (or even a 993 Cab) and be done with it!
Old 10-04-2004, 06:04 PM

Kev-AMG,
Good choice! I would highly recommend the convertible on the M3. It looks much more sleeker, and I think you'll enjoy it more topless than just having the sun-roof....
Good point about the convertible...
Just be sure to stay well ground....Then again...why be a baller...just be yourself.
Always grounded! I agree, in the end you have to be yourself and not someone you are not.
My last recommendation to you is...if you are going to spend the money and keep it....load it up with options.....SMG...NAV...Lumbar.......etc...etc...

I also recommend ordering one as oppose to taking one from the showroom.
That way...you know no one's dogged it on a test drive.
I've done just that for the last two cars I have owned.

Post some pictures of your new ride when you get it.....although it is a S55 thread.Good Luck!
No doubt. I intend for to own the M3 and the S55 to follow soon afterwards, just a matter of putting it out there...
Thanks to all for your input.
Cheers,
Kev-AMG
Old 10-16-2004, 04:57 AM

go for E 55.. more sporty than S55 because S is just oversized for a sport sedan... or just wait till M5
Old 12-07-2004, 08:51 AM
Almost a Member!

The S55 is an incredible machine. For those that want a sedan you cannot do better IMO. Those that do not consider this car will never know what they missed. Too bad.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:07 PM

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts
'03 S55 (79K miles)
I haven't driven the E55 to compare. I'm sure it's great, but I love the S55. Big n' Fast. Not your grandfather's Benz. Awesome power to offset the heavy weight. ABC helps prevent body roll. It comes with pretty much all the options you would want.

If you don't haul other people around, maybe you'd be fine w/ E55. If you wanted to skimp, get an E500 or S500 (for $70K) and pay a tuner to beef up the power. You might end up back in the $100K-ish range after all though. And you'd have to sweat the warranty issues.

I ordered the '03 S55, waited nearly a year, and got the 2nd one at my dealer for the model year. I paid sticker. It showed up in April, and by September they were doing slightly discounted deals.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:08 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
Originally Posted by speed
The S55 is an incredible machine. For those that want a sedan you cannot do better IMO. Those that do not consider this car will never know what they missed. Too bad.
So after driving an "end of an era" 86 S420 for many years I get a 95 S320. A small tank with a small engine and all I think about is getting a S430. I get the 2000 S430, love the lithesome stying, enjoy the feel of a V8 and all I want is a BIGGER V8. So here I am driving my S500, listening to the growl and wishing I had ordered that S55 !
Old 12-28-2004, 01:36 AM

I dont know where you guys live, over here there are tons of used E55 and S55 AMGs floating around used. The Mercedes dealers will budge on their prices, even on the AMGs, just mention "L-E-X-U-S", and they will smarten up (yes even on the AMGs)

I saw one the other day, a 2001 S55 AMG with 46,000km for $72,000 Canadian
Old 12-29-2004, 11:39 AM

2006 CLS 55 AMG
I Am A Mercedes Salesman And Will Always Deal If Anyone Wants Email Me Ad I Usally Beat Every Price Even On Amg
Old 12-30-2004, 02:12 AM

too many to list
Originally Posted by Messerchmidt
I dont know where you guys live, over here there are tons of used E55 and S55 AMGs floating around used. The Mercedes dealers will budge on their prices, even on the AMGs, just mention "L-E-X-U-S", and they will smarten up (yes even on the AMGs)

I saw one the other day, a 2001 S55 AMG with 46,000km for $72,000 Canadian
sorry but that price is so good i can't beleive it. I live in toronto, can you tell me where you found this car (please be a MB dealership) got my fingers crossed. I don't trust buying MB from used car lots.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
E 320
Originally Posted by Lexino
sorry but that price is so good i can't beleive it. I live in toronto, can you tell me where you found this car (please be a MB dealership) got my fingers crossed. I don't trust buying MB from used car lots.
Here is one with a higher mileage but extended warranty!
http://www.trader.ca/Search/Enlarged...goryid=1&CAT=1

Another one but this is a 2002...
http://www.trader.ca/Search/Enlarged...goryid=1&CAT=1

Sorry for the long links..
You can get these cars for about 5k-10k (Canadian $) cheaper at the auction in Milton.

Iron Sheik

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What did you pay for your S55?