S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

E55 or S55?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 02:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 S500 & 2011 Mini JCW
I've driven both on the track, the E55 handles and turns in alittle faster. However the S55's rear set comfort at high speeds has my vote, for 4 adults.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2 SL with every Brabus mods available & Class A competition sound system
NONE....... :p
Old 01-06-2005, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by SL BRABUS
NONE....... :p

Go Away... and buy a 13k set of pullies... real great deal...how about some super soft rims that dent on bots dots... Go Brabus
Old 01-06-2005, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W215 CL600
Originally Posted by Bubbaboy
I just traded in my M3 convertible for my E55 so it feels great to have four doors...i love the S55 i'm just too damn cheap to pay six figures for a car.

JD
I traded in a C32 for the E55. At first, I didn't put myself into an E-Class because I thought it would be too big (I'm single & 23 y/o). However, after taking the E55 for a test drive, I was sold.

I would consider the S55 definetly too big for me at the moment. But, if I had a family with kids and such, I would consider the S55 because of that extra room.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
Go Away... and buy a 13k set of pullies... real great deal...how about some super soft rims that dent on bots dots... Go Brabus
I guess BRABUS is not for you.......... :p
Old 01-07-2005, 02:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
I guess BRABUS is not for you.......... :p
Had a Brabus CL500 5.8L full conversion. Nice car but so not worth the money. And any person who buys a car with a 13k set of pullies needs his/her head examined. 15k with RENNtech gets you oh 650 real hp not some Brabus overstated power claim. Brabus cars never make the power they claim. My N/A S55 ran door to door with the CL 5.8L conversion... thats just sad.

The brabus wheels look good but I put 5 dents in the wheels in the 1k miles I put on the car after having all the dents removed and fixed. Softest wheels I have ever seen. Sold that thing for 63k and may the poor sole who bought it be doing well. 160k to 60k is 3 years ... holds it value! Glad I was selling it for an associate who only paid 80k for it when it was 1 year old.

Brabus is for bling bling... so bling away
Old 01-07-2005, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Had a Brabus CL500 5.8L full conversion. Nice car but so not worth the money. And any person who buys a car with a 13k set of pullies needs his/her head examined. 15k with RENNtech gets you oh 650 real hp not some Brabus overstated power claim. Brabus cars never make the power they claim. My N/A S55 ran door to door with the CL 5.8L conversion... thats just sad.

The brabus wheels look good but I put 5 dents in the wheels in the 1k miles I put on the car after having all the dents removed and fixed. Softest wheels I have ever seen. Sold that thing for 63k and may the poor sole who bought it be doing well. 160k to 60k is 3 years ... holds it value! Glad I was selling it for an associate who only paid 80k for it when it was 1 year old.

Brabus is for bling bling... so bling away
Yeah, you could get Renntech which they don't have the R&D.. ....Brabus you paying for the R&D and for the name that everybody know around the world... :v .......Try ask people from other country around the world if they ever heard Renntech or other small company that turned benz....... I bet you nobody ever heard of it...... Everybody know what Brabus and Lorineser is........
I have a friend that own 3 AMG cars and he blow the engine all 3 of them.. ..AMG got very sloppy when MB take over... ..AMG car is not special anymore.. ....Everywhere I go I see AMG cars... ...The 3 valve engine suck to begin with.... ....I have the twin cam engine and smoke 90% of AMG car.... :p .....Now back to Brabus if any body disagree with me, you guys should watch The Brabus company on DVD and you know what Brabus is all about.... :v .......

Now about the rims.......why do people think just because they have an aftermarket rims is bulletpoof... .......A fews of my friend dents some rims I just want to name a few of them . .....AMG 17 & 18inch, Lowenhart 19 & 20inch, Lorinser 18inch, Carlsson inch19, HRE inch19, and yes Brabus 20inch too... :p .......
Old 01-07-2005, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
.....Now back to Brabus if any body disagree with me, you guys should watch The Brabus company on DVD and you know what Brabus is all about.... :v ..........

Where can I get a copy of that DVD?

-thanks
Old 01-08-2005, 04:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Yeah, you could get Renntech.....

You are correct the 3-valve motor is a pile of junk but it’s a pile of junk that makes a ton of tq. The twin cam motor was more high tech but it needed to be revved a whole lot more than the 3 valve motor. Different motor different personality.

As for the R&D with RENNtech I think you should study the company and then get back to me. Brabus makes far less power, upgrades just the pullies, and asks 13k for that work. RENNtech is most likely the closest tied tuner with AMG and the factory and their parts are night and day when put next to Brabus. Brabus looks great... very true and anyone putting a motor together by hand looks impressive.

As for the wheels... you don’t see a RENNtech monolite wheel with a dent in it very often... almost never. Rumor has it you will bust a suspension arm before denting that wheel. I can't figure out why brabus makes cast wheels that weigh more than a sack of bricks. The wheels again look great but could weigh literally half what they currently do with proper forged manufacturing processes.

I still recall the test im European Car of a W208 Braubs 6.1L and the car was .2 faster than a CLK430 to 60 and SLOWER than a factory CLK55. Now tell me thats not just sad.

Last edited by CynCarvin32; 01-08-2005 at 04:43 AM.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Porsche
The twin cam motor was more high tech but it needed to be revved a whole lot more than the 3 valve motor. Different motor different personality.

Yes, that's right... I drove an 500E back in 93' and it felt like you had to be in the upper RPM range to take advantage of the power unlike the current 3-valve set up cars..
Eric....

damn some of the low mileage examples are pricey:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...=y&cardist=344
Old 01-08-2005, 02:34 PM

Mercedes-Benz A170 CDI
K8 kit

The Brabus K8 kit includes additional coolers as well. When you change the pullies and ECU, the pulley belt life is largely governed by heat stress. Therefore Brabus add additional coolers and new pulleys on every single component to make sure all relative gearing is correct. Extreme heat causes the pulley material to deteriorate, so they use a new longer eight-ribbed belt, and as the belt transfers its heat to the pulleys, which act as a heat sink, they use special ventilated pulleys with greater surface radiating area to keep the whole belt and pulley system as cool as possible.

The factory IHI supercharger is running at 0.8 bar of boost, and at peak revs consumes 91bhp. The Brabus conversion runs 1.1 bar boost and the system consumes 106bhp, but gives back 50hp and 80NM more.

Brabus also use a special radiator with 50% bigger capcaity. As the AMG intercooler is a water/air type under the supercharger, it is vital to cool the liquid as fast as possible. They use an additional intercooler and a second electric pump to increase the flow around the whole system. They also have an additional oil cooler in the front, the resultant modifications let Brabus use the 1.1 bar boost with no problems. The power increase is well within the parameters of the standard fuel injectors, so they are untouched, but the ECU is modified to look after the different fuelling, ignition and boost requirements....

Not as simple as a pulley and chip mod is it? Agreed, its not worth it, but they sure do the R&D for their work and with a three year warranty, it looks tempting...for the newbie buyer.
Old 01-08-2005, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You are correct the 3-valve motor is a pile of junk but it’s a pile of junk that makes a ton of tq. The twin cam motor was more high tech but it needed to be revved a whole lot more than the 3 valve motor. Different motor different personality.

As for the R&D with RENNtech I think you should study the company and then get back to me. Brabus makes far less power, upgrades just the pullies, and asks 13k for that work. RENNtech is most likely the closest tied tuner with AMG and the factory and their parts are night and day when put next to Brabus. Brabus looks great... very true and anyone putting a motor together by hand looks impressive.

As for the wheels... you don’t see a RENNtech monolite wheel with a dent in it very often... almost never. Rumor has it you will bust a suspension arm before denting that wheel. I can't figure out why brabus makes cast wheels that weigh more than a sack of bricks. The wheels again look great but could weigh literally half what they currently do with proper forged manufacturing processes.

I still recall the test im European Car of a W208 Braubs 6.1L and the car was .2 faster than a CLK430 to 60 and SLOWER than a factory CLK55. Now tell me thats not just sad.

Back in the day......MB build car that all high end speed..... ...ok 0-60 and 1/4 mile time.........But they are the fast when you rolling at 40mph and floor it to topspeed.....Those power are more useful in the real world.. ...not like now days we all care about 0-60 and 1/4 miles time... .....or who car faster light to light.. ...How often you race light to light.... ....The 3 valve got good take off which I think it fun when I drive my friend car......but when you rolling at 40mph and floor it, it don't move like the twin cam... .....

Yes, I do know the company background (Renntech).. ...The owner of Renntech use to work at AMG back in the day... .....(I don't want to make this story too long).. :p ....

Talking about the wheels.........Renntech wheels are forged but 1 piece.. ....If it so great why don't I see it..... ...Maybe because it ugly.... ....

To answer the question about W208 Brabus........Brabus is all about high end speed... :v .....Brabus don't build car that race light to light... ......Brabus got a slower 0-60 and 1/4 mile time.... ...but after that they will be ahead.... ....If you look at their time 0-110 , 0-120 and beyond......Of the start Brabus maybe slower but you can't leave them. ... They right by your side and soon be ahead of you.... ...Another thing I am happy with my old school Brabus.......Maybe you right all new Brabus car suck.... ....Maybe Brabus don't build the car like they use too.. ......
Old 01-08-2005, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Then again BRABUS not suck.... ....It all that.... :v :p .........
Old 01-08-2005, 09:12 PM

too many to list
Originally Posted by Max (SD)
How do they compare, what are the characteristics of both? Does the E completely outperform the S? Comfort? Performance?

I am 6' 3" 230lbs, will the back seat be usable in the E compared to the S?

There is no comparing between the two. S55 costs much much more than the E so if you can afford it you will buy the S. E55 is much cheaper and less in everything compared to the S. its just like coming a S500 or the E500, you can't be stupid enough to say the E is better just because you cant afford the S.
Old 01-08-2005, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Lexino
There is no comparing between the two. S55 costs much much more than the E so if you can afford it you will buy the S. E55 is much cheaper and less in everything compared to the S. its just like coming a S500 or the E500, you can't be stupid enough to say the E is better just because you cant afford the S.

Except performance.

You do not buy an S55 just because you can afford it.
You buy a S55 because you want size over performance.
You buy an E55 because you want performance over size.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:19 PM

2003 SL55 2007 S550
What kind of performance difference are we talking about? 1/4 mile, 0 - 60, 0 - 100, lateral G's, braking from 60 - 0 distance, etc. Have never seen a column by column comparison between the E55 and the S55.

My friend bought an S55. He was going to get the E, but he tried experiments with passenger seating and found that the E was terrible for 6 footers (he is 6' 3") in the back seat.

I didn't care about a back seat at all so I wound up with a SL55.

The 0 - 60 numbers I've seen for the E and S aren't all that different.

What is the weight of the two cars?

Just curious.

Originally Posted by SSpray
Except performance.

You do not buy an S55 just because you can afford it.
You buy a S55 because you want size over performance.
You buy an E55 because you want performance over size.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by JosanK
What kind of performance difference are we talking about? 1/4 mile, 0 - 60, 0 - 100, lateral G's, braking from 60 - 0 distance, etc. Have never seen a column by column comparison between the E55 and the S55.

My friend bought an S55. He was going to get the E, but he tried experiments with passenger seating and found that the E was terrible for 6 footers (he is 6' 3") in the back seat.

I didn't care about a back seat at all so I wound up with a SL55.

The 0 - 60 numbers I've seen for the E and S aren't all that different.

What is the weight of the two cars?

Just curious.

03 E55: Curb Weight 3,857 lbs.
05 S55: 4300

(BUT both #'s change depending on your source)

I am 6'3", I went with the E55, knowing I would never ride in the back seat.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SSpray
Where can I get a copy of that DVD?

-thanks
Brabus gave them to me because I am on their VIP list....... You could get your by go to www.brabus.com
Old 01-10-2005, 03:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Back in the day......MB build car that all high end speed..... ...ok 0-60 and 1/4 mile time.........But they are the fast when you rolling at 40mph and floor it to topspeed.....Those power are more useful in the real world.. ...not like now days we all care about 0-60 and 1/4 miles time... .....or who car faster light to light.. ...How often you race light to light.... ....The 3 valve got good take off which I think it fun when I drive my friend car......but when you rolling at 40mph and floor it, it don't move like the twin cam... .....

Yes, I do know the company background (Renntech).. ...The owner of Renntech use to work at AMG back in the day... .....(I don't want to make this story too long).. :p ....

Talking about the wheels.........Renntech wheels are forged but 1 piece.. ....If it so great why don't I see it..... ...Maybe because it ugly.... ....

To answer the question about W208 Brabus........Brabus is all about high end speed... :v .....Brabus don't build car that race light to light... ......Brabus got a slower 0-60 and 1/4 mile time.... ...but after that they will be ahead.... ....If you look at their time 0-110 , 0-120 and beyond......Of the start Brabus maybe slower but you can't leave them. ... They right by your side and soon be ahead of you.... ...Another thing I am happy with my old school Brabus.......Maybe you right all new Brabus car suck.... ....Maybe Brabus don't build the car like they use too.. ......

Not sure where you get these ideas but if a car as a quoted hp output of 420hp and it is SLOWER than the car with 350 (traction was not the issue either) the motor in the 420 hp car is NOT working to spec. That is a trend for brabus cars...not as fast as other tuners with equal hp figures.

Yes 0-60 figures do not so much difference in the cars but it was almost NO faster than a 430 and that is a joke. These cars have the same gearing and the same rear end ratio so any increase in power should be seen in quicker acceleration figures. If Brabus put in a 2.65 rear end to gain top speed the car WOULD be slower than the factory car BUT it is the SAME diff.

As for wheels I have never really seen a racing wheel that’s in 3 pieces and 1 piece forged wheels are the strongest type on the market. Looks are subjective and like I said brabus is about looks not ability.

And on a side note do you need to use every gosh darn smilie on the planet in each of your posts? Words work well lets leave smilie faces for the kids. It's down right annoying to look at your posts with all that junk.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Not sure where you get these ideas but if a car as a quoted hp output of 420hp and it is SLOWER than the car with 350 (traction was not the issue either) the motor in the 420 hp car is NOT working to spec. That is a trend for brabus cars...not as fast as other tuners with equal hp figures.

Yes 0-60 figures do not so much difference in the cars but it was almost NO faster than a 430 and that is a joke. These cars have the same gearing and the same rear end ratio so any increase in power should be seen in quicker acceleration figures. If Brabus put in a 2.65 rear end to gain top speed the car WOULD be slower than the factory car BUT it is the SAME diff.

As for wheels I have never really seen a racing wheel that’s in 3 pieces and 1 piece forged wheels are the strongest type on the market. Looks are subjective and like I said brabus is about looks not ability.

And on a side note do you need to use every gosh darn smilie on the planet in each of your posts? Words work well lets leave smilie faces for the kids. It's down right annoying to look at your posts with all that junk.
This is not going anywhere......Like what I say again......If you read my post Brabus don't build their engine that race light to light.........And how often do people do that.....Like what I say Brabus build their engine with a powerful mid to high end power that useful in the real world, not drag racing.......

Again, like what I say any wheel that 17inch or bigger they are not bullet proof.....If you don't take care of it, they will dent when going over the potholes........

I hope I make my point..........Thank You!!
Old 01-13-2005, 09:52 AM

2005 Kleemann Stage 3 E55
Two things:

Go sit in a E class and you'll see that it's VERY EASY for a 6 ft plus person to sit in and drive. I am 6'1" and have zilch problems. I have a 6'4" and a 6'5" 350 lb friend who has no problems getting in and out and doesn't touch the headliner.

As far as a S55 vs. E55, the S handles like a big toboggan compared to the more agile E. The C handles even better but you have to watch the weight of the heavy motor up front. Both the E and S have the same exact engine with the speed/quickness going to the E55. If you want a speedster, buy the E. If you need the prestige of the big saloon and going fast is fun (and you have the extra 30K, buy the S).
Old 01-13-2005, 09:56 AM

2005 Kleemann Stage 3 E55
Max,

Don't beleive what some of these jokers are talking about. I'm 6'1" and can go from front seat to back seat (without moving the seat) with no problem. If I sit in my passenger seat and move it forward so I can still get in/out, a 6'3" person can still sit in the back seat without much trouble.

My question to you is: how many 6'3" people do you intend on riding in the back seat? If the answer is lots, get the S. If not, save the 30K and take your wife on a cruise.
Old 01-14-2005, 05:55 PM
Banned

SL65, 911
ObPlug: just buy my S600, and get performance and space which eclipses the E55 for slightly less money...
Old 01-14-2005, 06:36 PM

You have a PM.

Last edited by SSpray; 01-14-2005 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:08 PM

2002 S55 AMG, 1990 560 SEL
"'03 Viper SRT/10) "

treynor - you sold out?

Regards, Jack

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E55 or S55?