S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

E55 or S55?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 08:25 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL65, 911
We've had the SRT/10 for two years - fun car, different from the SL but plenty entertaining.

I never thought I'd sell the S600, but I don't have the room to keep 5 cars and I'm keeping the SL65...
Old 01-27-2005, 04:35 PM

04E55AMG, 05Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab, 02Montero Limited
Drove a 2005 S55 and was not impressed (I currently drive a 04 E55 for the last 14 months) It suprises me that this car does not come with the nice head liner or the 4 zone climate control. The MB sales person told me that the S55 does not have these comfort features since it is not the top dog model (S600 get these upgrades). The E55 gets all this since it is the top dog in the E lineup.

Bang for your buck the E55 is a steal. Having the E55 and the S55 side by side today the S55 is NOT that much longer. You have a much roomier cabin since the trunk in the S55 is half the size of the E55. You give up trunk space for a bigger back seat. Paying a min. of $30K more does not make sense to me since I have no need to have adults in the back on a regular basis.

First hand input from having both cars next to each other.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:12 AM

hmmm....I don't know why this would surprise you.
Being a MBZ owner...you should know that these are optional equipment with the exception of the headliner.
The s600 gets the suede headliner...BIG Deal...how often is anyone EVER going to notice.

In my opinion the S class has much more class.
The E class is like a Honda Accord....No offense...Just my personal opinion.

My wife had asked me to consider the E class as well, but after trying out the back seats...it was so small and uncomfortable.
If you're going to get a 4 door sedan...get one that everyone will fit in.
Obviously, it's a "passenger" vehicle.
If you're not concerned about having passengers in the rear, then the CL55 is the way to go!

In regards to trunk space...I don't remember how large the trunk space of the E is,
but the S is plenty big....any bigger...it will hurt your back just trying to dig out the luggage.....
so they definitely made a better choice in putting more space in the passenger cabin.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 M3, 05 R1
Originally Posted by rslpartners
Calling the E class a Honda Accord is just wrong. I can see that you used to have a ferrari but don't be too arrogant about it. E class is one of the nicest sedans I've sat on, and it sure ain't like a honda accord.

Even if it's your own opinion, that's something you should watch saying.
by the way, my vote is for E55 obiously.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:42 AM

Calling a W211 E55 AMG a Honda Accord

I wish Honda would produce a 0-60 sedan in low 4's and 1/4 in high 11's. If you called my 2000 NSX a Honda accord I would agree with you on the interior.

My buddy who sold his E55 was going to pick up a new 2005 S55 but changed his mind after driving the car. He was not impressed with the interior and overall feel of the car after owning a 2005 E55. The S55 is a wonderful car as is the E55 and I am sure the new S class will be awesome.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by termigni
Calling the E class a Honda Accord is just wrong. I can see that you used to have a ferrari but don't be too arrogant about it. E class is one of the nicest sedans I've sat on, and it sure ain't like a honda accord.

Even if it's your own opinion, that's something you should watch saying.
by the way, my vote is for E55 obiously.

Termigni....let's not get too sensitive about it.
After all...this is a free country, and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

There are a lot of things that I may not agree with, but I still respect it!

I figured I might offend owners of the E family but that's why I specifically said "NO Offense...just my personal opinion".

AND 04E55 AMG.....I am not maybe you're the one that needs one of these for even caring what my opinions are.

Let me remind you that forums like these are informational! What my ratings are for something may not be the same as what yours is and vice versa as you can see. EVERY ONE IS ENTITLED TO THEIR OWN OPINION! ULTIMATELY, THE PEOPLE THAT READ THESE THREADS ARE IN THE MARKET FOR EITHER A E55 OR S55 AND AT THE END OF THE DAY ....IT IS PURELY THEIR OWN DECISION!

SO LET'S NOT START ATTACKING EACH OTHER....THIS IS NOT KINDERGARTEN!

"Arrogant"...those that know me....consider me a very down to earth person.
By the way...previously owning a Ferrari has nothing to do with anything.
As a matter of fact, I got rid of it because it was a piece of crap!

For those that would ever consider getting one...I would definitely NOT EVER recommend a 355 Spider! Ferrari finally got their act together and started to refine their automobileS from the 360 Spider and one up.

You want arrogance....I have a 430 on order .

Anyways, I'm not trying to be a jerk.....bottomline is speak your mind....make your ratings...do your best not to offend anyone.....and move on!

You can either take the context of what people say in a positive manner....or get bent of shape being S.O.S....stuck of stupid.

Take care guys!
Old 01-28-2005, 12:53 PM

04 E55, 12 CLS63
I traded my S55 for an E55. I could only wish I did it sooner. I like the S, but it was just too big for what I needed it for. Parked side by side with my wife's Escalade, the S55 was actually longer than the 8 passenger Escalade. As much as the S exudes more class and elegance, it's the E55 for me. I just felt old when I was driving the S.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:00 PM

After all...this is a free country, and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

There are a lot of things that I may not agree with, but I still respect it!

I figured I might offend owners of the E family but that's why I specifically said "NO Offense...just my personal opinion".

AND 04E55 AMG.....I am not maybe you're the one that needs one of these for even caring what my opinions are.

Let me remind you that forums like these are informational! What my ratings are for something may not be the same as what yours is and vice versa as you can see. EVERY ONE IS ENTITLED TO THEIR OWN OPINION! ULTIMATELY, THE PEOPLE THAT READ THESE THREADS ARE IN THE MARKET FOR EITHER A E55 OR S55 AND AT THE END OF THE DAY ....IT IS PURELY THEIR OWN DECISION!

SO LET'S NOT START ATTACKING EACH OTHER....THIS IS NOT KINDERGARTEN!

"Arrogant"...those that know me....consider me a very down to earth person.
By the way...previously owning a Ferrari has nothing to do with anything.
As a matter of fact, I got rid of it because it was a piece of crap!

For those that would ever consider getting one...I would definitely NOT EVER recommend a 355 Spider! Ferrari finally got their act together and started to refine their automobileS from the 360 Spider and one up.

You want arrogance....I have a 430 on order .

Anyways, I'm not trying to be a jerk.....bottomline is speak your mind....make your ratings...do your best not to offend anyone.....and move on!

You can either take the context of what people say in a positive manner....or get bent of shape being S.O.S....stuck of stupid.

Take care guys!
We share the same opinion on the F430, I have a Spider on order myelf.

BTW - We are all crazy for spending so much $$$ on any of these cars. My wife reminds me of that everyday.

Old 01-28-2005, 06:29 PM
adx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by wiz357
I traded my S55 for an E55. I could only wish I did it sooner. I like the S, but it was just too big for what I needed it for. Parked side by side with my wife's Escalade, the S55 was actually longer than the 8 passenger Escalade. As much as the S exudes more class and elegance, it's the E55 for me. I just felt old when I was driving the S.
Nice choice in vehicles.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:37 PM

e55211 traded in for CLS55

I guess that was your best not to offend anyone when you stated .."E is like an Accord", knowing very well that there are several E owners responding to this thread?

Good job!
Old 01-30-2005, 01:18 AM
adx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Interesting comment. I am pretty sure there are a few E55 "Accord" owners that would enjoy matching performance with your S class that has much more class car.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2 SL with every Brabus mods available & Class A competition sound system
E class is not like an Accord.... ....E class is a taxicab in europe....... :p .
Old 01-30-2005, 01:20 AM
adx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SL BRABUS
E class is not like an Accord.... ....E class is a taxicab in europe....... :p .
Don't forget the S class too is a fine taxicab in europe.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by adx
Don't forget the S class too is a fine taxicab in europe.
Oh really.........In Hong Kong Rolls Royce is a fine taxicab........
Old 01-30-2005, 08:51 AM

The S55AMG is an incredible 4 door sedan. For those of you who have not driven it you just do not know what you are missing. IMO it just does not get any better than this. I absolutly love it. I call it my "Magic Carpet" ride!
Old 01-30-2005, 09:52 AM

04 M3, 05 R1

well sir, so are the S class.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:12 AM

I do not know where the problem lies…

Is it with the S55 owner who spent the extra 30K than the E55 owner, that drives him to argue?
Is it with the E55 owner who did not spend the 30K that drives him to argue?

Either way, it is a stupid, petty argument. Each bought their car for their own reasons.

<---- E55 owner, looking to add an S to the fleet.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:17 AM

04 M3, 05 R1
FYI, i'm not taking your words by my heart, i'm not taking this thread that way.

let's look at it this way.
There is more similarity between E and S then there is between E and Accord.

So if you would compare E and Accord, you are obiously putting S in line with Accord also.

by your standards, in my opinion, you should've just gotten like 5 of them instead of your S.

Your opinion matters but your comments were just trash talking. if you can back that up, then i will shut up immediately.

by the way, congrats on your 430, that is one fine looking car.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:33 PM

PEOPLE....THIS WILL BE MY FINAL AND LAST POST TO THIS TREAD....CAUSE I JUST DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THIS CRAP.

Obviously, based on 04E55 AMG's last post....we have understood each other and made amends. AGAIN...THIS IS AN INFORMATIONAL FORUM! AND I had no intentions of offending him and others in the first place. Thank God people like wiz357 had enough decency to disregard the non-sense and just post his opinion of whether he/she liked the E55 or S55.

I would assume that people that can afford these types of vehicles are obviously well educated people! From reading this forum...I don't know anymore!

Some of you act like you came straight out of the ghetto!
What value did you people bring to this thread (MrAMG, adx, termigni) by continuing on with my "honda accord" scenario???

Especially MrAMG and adx, you people brought NO value to this thread at all, but trying to add more lighter fluid to the fire that has been long put out!!! READ 04E55 AMG's last comments! I thought it was very noble of him! AND THANK GOD HE'S EDUCATED ENOUGH TO READ BETWEEN THE LINES TO KNOW WHERE I WAS COMING FROM.

I WILL NOT APOLOGIZE FOR MY COMMENTS....I AM ENTITLED TO MY OPINIONS!
AH....THERE IS A THING CALLED FREEDOM OF SPEECH...DUH!

I was not comparing engine size, etc...etc....
As I was in the process of purchasing my 2nd S55 (previously owning an '02), my wife asked me to consider an E55....obviously because of size differences...she felt that it would be more managable to drive for her as oppose to a larger vehicle.

The first thing I did in my evaluation was to sit in the back of it because I feel (my opinion again people!) that a passenger vehicle should be just as comfortable and roomy as the front. Also....there are times when I sit in the back to do work while my wife shops or whatever.

The space was quite tight like a honda accord (in my opinion!)
I looked at the back of the vehicle...that's just what it reminded me of....PERIOD!

AGAIN LIKE IT OR NOT....THAT'S JUST WHAT IT REMINDED ME OF....AND THAT WAS THE HONEST TRUTH! PERIOD!!!!!!

IF YOU GUYS HAVE A PROBLEM WITH IT....TOO BAD!!!!

THE S CLASS MAY REMIND YOU OF A YUGO!!! IF THAT'S YOUR HONEST OPINION....I CAN RESPECT THAT!!!

GIVE ME A FREAKIN BREAK PEOPLE!!!

BY the way....there's nothing wrong with a Honda Accord! They are nice vehicles too. Perhaps some of you have your noses so high up in the air....you guys probably never sat in one!

Is S55 like a honda accord too per termigni? SURE....WHY NOT!!!
I REALLY DON'T GIVE A DAMN WHAT PEOPLE THINK ....I HAVE THE CAPACITY TO DO AND BUY WHATEVER I WANT!

I EVEN COMPARED MY FERRARI F355 SPIDER TO CRAP!

NOW PEOPLE.....GET A LIFE.....FOCUS ON THE THREAD...NOT THE PEOPLE!
IF YOU HAVE NOTHING TO SAY....STOP POSTING CRAP! IF IT REALLY MAKES YOU FEEL SUPERIOR TO CONTINUE POSTING ATTACKING COMMENTS.......POSTING CHILDISH LOONY CHARACTERS....WHATEVER.....GO RIGHT AHEAD BROTHER! DO WHAT YOU DO BEST!

I'M SURE SOME OF US READ THESE THREADS FOR OPINIONS AND INFORMATION.....NOT CRAP!

BY THE WAY termigni...THANKS FOR THE COMPLIMENT! AT LEAST YOU DID SAY SOMETHING NICE!

04E55 AMG - WAY TO GO! MY ORDER IS FOR A SPIDER TOO...WOULDN'T HAVE IT ANY OTHER WAY....AND YES...MY WIFE SAYS THE SAME THING TO ME ABOUT SPENDING TOO MUCH MONEY ON CARS. THE FLIP SIDE IS....SHE DOESN'T HOLD ME BACK CAUSE SHE KNOWS I WORK HARD....AND THEREFORE....MUST PLAY HARD. TAKE CARE!

FOR THE REST OF YOU TROUBLE MAKERS.....HAVE A NICE LIFE!

Last edited by rslpartners; 01-31-2005 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:45 PM

PEOPLE....THIS WILL BE MY FINAL AND LAST POST TO THIS TREAD....CAUSE I JUST DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THIS CRAP.

Obviously, based on 04E55 AMG's last post....we have understood each other and made amends. AGAIN...THIS IS AN INFORMATIONAL FORUM! AND I had no intentions of offending him and others in the first place. Thank God people like wiz357 had enough decency to disregard the non-sense and just post his opinion of whether he/she liked the E55 or S55.

I would assume that people that can afford these types of vehicles are obviously well educated people! From reading this forum...I don't know anymore!

What value did you people bring to this thread (MrAMG, adx, termigni) by continuing on with my "honda accord" scenario???

Especially MrAMG and adx, you people brought NO value to this thread at all, but trying to add more lighter fluid to the fire that has been long put out!!! READ 04E55 AMG's last comments! I thought it was very noble of him! AND THANK GOD HE'S EDUCATED ENOUGH TO READ BETWEEN THE LINES TO KNOW WHERE I WAS COMING FROM.

As I was in the process of purchasing my 2nd S55 (previously owning an '02), my wife asked me to consider an E55....obviously because of size differences...she felt that it would be more managable to drive for her as oppose to a larger vehicle.

The first thing I did in my evaluation was to sit in the back of it because I feel (my opinion again people!) that a passenger vehicle should be just as comfortable and roomy as the front. Also....there are times when I sit in the back to do work while my wife shops or whatever.

I looked at the back of the vehicle...that's just what it reminded me of....PERIOD!

AGAIN LIKE IT OR NOT....THAT'S JUST WHAT IT REMINDED ME OF....AND THAT WAS THE HONEST TRUTH! PERIOD!!!!!!

THE S CLASS MAY REMIND YOU OF A YUGO!!! IF THAT'S YOUR HONEST OPINION....I CAN RESPECT THAT!!!

BY the way....there's nothing wrong with a Honda Accord! They are nice vehicles too. Perhaps some of you have your noses so high up in the air....you guys probably never sat in one!

I REALLY DON'T GIVE A DAMN WHAT PEOPLE THINK ....I HAVE THE CAPACITY TO DO AND BUY WHATEVER I WANT!

IF YOU HAVE NOTHING TO SAY....STOP POSTING CRAP! IF IT REALLY MAKES YOU FEEL SUPERIOR TO CONTINUE POSTING ATTACKING COMMENTS.......POSTING CHILDISH LOONY CHARACTERS....WHATEVER.....GO RIGHT AHEAD BROTHER! DO WHAT YOU DO BEST!

I'M SURE SOME OF US READ THESE THREADS FOR OPINIONS AND INFORMATION.....NOT CRAP!

BY THE WAY termigni...THANKS FOR THE COMPLIMENT! AT LEAST YOU DID SAY SOMETHING NICE!

04E55 AMG - WAY TO GO! MY ORDER IS FOR A SPIDER TOO...WOULDN'T HAVE IT ANY OTHER WAY....AND YES...MY WIFE SAYS THE SAME THING TO ME ABOUT SPENDING TOO MUCH MONEY ON CARS. THE FLIP SIDE IS....SHE DOESN'T HOLD ME BACK CAUSE SHE KNOWS I WORK HARD....AND THEREFORE....MUST PLAY HARD. TAKE CARE!

How long is your wait on the Spider?
Thanks for the kind words
Old 01-31-2005, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by 04E55 AMG
How long is your wait on the Spider?
Thanks for the kind words

I specifically requested an '08.

The spiders are coming out late this year per my sales rep at S.F. Ferrari.

Truthfully speaking...I don't want to be one of the first to receive this vehicle.

Like all new models....you got to give them a couple of years to work out the kinks (if there are any).

Last year alone...I lost about 100k just toying with cars.
ie....Bought my '02 S55 for 115 and only got 60 for it....lost on my 355....etc...etc...

Therefore, I decided to be a collector.....my cars are no longer for sale.
I know the S class body is going to change next year, but aside from the refinements of 2003 and above....I was very happy with it.

I also heard that they were going to make the S Class a bit larger to compete with BMW's 7 series. Believe me...I don't need it any bigger so I decided to purchase an '05.

Anyways...sorry for rambling on....but trying to be a collector...I don't want to collect a lemon....so I'd decided that 2 years would be sufficient to wait for a 430 Spider.

Where are you getting yours from? How long do you have to wait?
If you get yours before me...feel free to drop me a line....I'd love to see it!

By the way....mine will be silver ext, and black or maybe light grey interior....my wife doesn't like black interiors.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W215 CL600
I would rather have an E-Class Taxi then a played out, old R129 Brabus that's for sure!

Last edited by MBAMGPWR; 01-31-2005 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:34 PM

04 M3, 05 R1
ghetto and uneducated?? LOL!!!

i want to see you talk to real ghetto and uneducated people like that in their faces. they are going to beat you , steal your cars, sell them and get 20 honda civics.

anyways, i don't think you brought any value to this thread by talking BS about the E either.

I'm defending the E because it doesn't need such disrespectful comments like that. it is a nice car.

p.s. i've been in my friend's 04 accord for 20 hours on the roadtrip to Canada last summer and believe me it doesn't come any near the E.

Old 01-31-2005, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MBAMGPWR
I would rather have an E-Class Taxi then a played out, old R129 Brabus that's for sure!
You hurt my feeling......... Played out?.......damn where you live it must be bink bink..... ... When I come to your city I will flag down for your E55 class taxi......... :p Look like I get to sit in a one and only E55 taxi in your city......
Old 02-01-2005, 12:41 AM
adx
MBWorld Fanatic!

I respect people's opinion as to whether they like a certain vehicle or not. However, saying that an "E" class is like an accord is not saying that an "S" is better than an "E" but simply denigrates it. BTW, I was focusing on the thread until I read your post which created the issue at hand.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E55 or S55?