S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

2003 S55 Trailer Hitch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 12:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
2003 S55 Trailer Hitch

My boss bought 2 custom bikes (like OC Chopper Style) and a motorcyle trailer. He wants to use his S55 as the tow vehicle.

Has anyone installed a tow receiver on a 2003 S55?
Old 10-09-2004, 04:39 PM

I really can't think of anything more inappropriate than putting a trailer hitch on a $100k plus luxo sedan with ~500 hp. Tell him to get a truck with a trailer hitch already on it. Trucks are for towing, sport sedans are never for towing. I would sincerely doubt mercedes would take kindly to knowing their car is being used as a tow vehicle given it was never designed to do so. The mere thought of loading up a trailer and two bikes on a road car is dangerous(unsafe) before ever leaving the garage.
Old 10-09-2004, 05:56 PM

There is a reason why a trailer fitting was never on the options list.
Old 10-09-2004, 11:37 PM

E320
I did discuss that with him but he said he doesn't care. Though there are hitches available for the S500, I was tasked to find out why it does not apply to the S55.

The GVWR for the trailer is a mere 4000 lbs.

Nonetheless, my boss has an SLR, an SL65 and a SL55... he does not like trucks but he said if we can find a good reason not to, he plans to buy a G55 for the motorcycles.
Old 10-10-2004, 01:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 C250 sport
Originally Posted by aries palmiotto
I did discuss that with him but he said he doesn't care. Though there are hitches available for the S500, I was tasked to find out why it does not apply to the S55.

Nonetheless, my boss has an SLR, an SL65 and a SL55... he does not like trucks but he said if we can find a good reason not to, he plans to buy a G55 for the motorcycles.
definitely tell him to buy the G....On top of the S-class not being a tow vehicle(let alone any sedan), the Active Body Control would constantly be trying to level the suspension back to the normal ride height because of how much a trailer causes the rear suspension to squat, causing tons of strain and wear on the ABC, afterall, ABC is only meant to handle the weight of people,luggage, and cornering loads. The suspension probably will not be able to handle the trailer.
Old 10-10-2004, 05:39 AM

He really has those cars and he couldn't ask his MB dealer about it? Who should be like best buddies by now. I for one would love to see photos of all his cars together and I would recommend he get a Dodge Ram SRT10 rather than the G55.
Old 10-10-2004, 12:48 PM

The dodge ram srt10 has no tow rating at all; it would be just as bad as using the s55. When a car is not designed for towing, you do not have a safe vehicle for towing. Brakes, engine output, transmission componentry, suspension systems, and frame design all have to be custom designed for towing purposes. The crash safety with a trailer in tow would be rotten at best.

If you were talking about the ram srt10-quadcab, then I agree. That vehicle has a 4spd auto and a tow rating that would easily handle the duty cycle of that trailer. It would be ~40k cheaper, more sporty and agile, and look good with a couple of bikes in tow. In terms of style, american custom bikes look best with american vehicles in my opinion.

Can you tow a bike trailer with an s55? Probably not. Personally, I think if a 4000lb fat guy stood on his bumper or on some square bar welded to his frame it would tear the bumper or bend the frame. It is idiotic to try to tow with an s55. The car simply will not handle that kind of tongue weight. Not to mention he is going to have to practice saying "Why is my drivetrain, suspension, brake, frame and engine warranty void?"

To risk a $100k plus sedan when a $3k used truck would do a better job is silly. Not to mention the fact that towing two motorcycles on a trailer in an s55 is telling the world that you have more money than brains. I don't think your boss wants to send that message to those around him.

Last edited by rguy; 10-10-2004 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-10-2004, 01:19 PM

I meant put the bikes on the bay, surely its big enough?
Old 10-10-2004, 01:29 PM

E320
My error... the GVWR is only 2990 lbs.

Here is the picture of the $10k+ motorcycle trailer... the unit has air-ride suspension with all support equipment built in.

Old 10-11-2004, 12:39 AM

Gunit, I see you have in your bio that you are from the UK? So is the bay the bed? I am guessing the bay is the cargo hold of the pickup. In that case, yes. You could probably get two bikes up in there, but you run a good risk of them knocking into each other, especially over train tracks or potholes. You would also have to unbolt the rear spoiler, which just requires a socket wrench and raw determination. I still wouldn't recommend it though. I would be far more comfortable transporting one motorcycle this way.

At any rate, it is just playing with fire to use that trailer on an s55, and I am not going to debate over that any further. I have said what I wanted to say, internalized your boss's rebuttal and further commented to completion. Why don't you have him have a chat with his dealer and see what they think?

Good luck with working with your boss. Sorry it became your job to tell him some great way to put a trailer hitch on his sport luxury sedan. Ensuring your place on the corporate ladder can be a real grind sometimes.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:48 AM

As far as it being a $10k plus trailer, I am not impressed. If your point was that a $3k truck doesn't belong with a $10k trailer, then you should know that Jesse James, who I assure you knows more about transporting motorcycles than your boss does, uses a $3k shop truck regularly to transport $100k bikes. Maybe that will help convince him. Last ditch effort on my part. But if your boss does do it, just let me know where and when so I can be nowhere around him going down a hill, up a hill, around a corner, or in any other dynamic handling situation near him because he will be endangering his own life and those around him. I am not trying to be a jerk, I just don't think he understands how much he cannot do this with this car.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:42 AM

E320
Concerns are well taken, but I am lost with the arguments...

1) What technically defines a "tow-capable" vehicle?
2) Why would an S-Class be an unsafe vehicle to tow with (what gives)?
3) If a properly engineered tow receiver is installed to carry the torque and load, where does it all fail?

With the engine torque and horspower, larger brakes, electronic suspension, wider track, and only about 300 lbs of tongue weight, it's like carrying 2 normal sized people in your trunk, the vehicle should be able to handle it right?
Old 10-11-2004, 02:50 AM

Yes I meant the cargo load area of the truck. I don't see many Dodge Rams around this part, I just thought it was big enough to carry 2 bikes, if not then my bad
Old 10-11-2004, 01:36 PM

Black/Black E : Pewter/Black G Wagen
Why does he needs Trailer for the Bikes,Shouldn't he just Ride them???
Old 10-11-2004, 07:16 PM

Gunit, there is enough room for two bikes, and I do understand that seeing Dodge Rams over in the UK is probably something of a rarity. I just get nervous when two super-expensive bikes are that close and not in a trailer designed for them. The only reason two bikes might not fit is due to overall bike length, not width. Some of these custom choppers are super-stretched and can be significantly longer than the bed of the truck. You may have to put one on the diagonal of the cargo bed and ride the other. Anyway, again, good suggestion on the ram srt-10. I looked at one of the quadcab versions for myself. I am thinking about some toys that will need towing of some sort. A srt-10 quadcab is definitely overbuilt for that purpose, but it sure would be fun.

Ducman, a lot of people like to ride to a city long distance and then hop off and ride their motorcycles in that city. Riding hundreds of miles on a custom chopper takes guts, luck, and iron kidneys. Plan on at least one round of kidney transplants. You might as well pick up a new back while you are at it. Anyway, locally, you should definitely ride everywhere you go, but I am sure you have heard of the term "trailer queen". That may apply here. I don't know and it really isn't my business.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:45 PM

E320
rguy:

The trailer was custom ordered around the bikes, with all the safety and equipment necessary.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
I have never seen any sedan capable of towing more than 2000 pounds let alone an S55. There isn't a real frame structure that you can safely bolt a hitch onto, this is a unibody sedan. Also with an 03 S55 you have two large exhaust mufflers and lower bumper moldings, etc... no place to bolt up an ugly trailer hitch. Get an 05 ML500 sport, send it to kleemann and tow with that.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:15 AM

E320
Originally Posted by AlBoston
I have never seen any sedan capable of towing more than 2000 pounds let alone an S55. There isn't a real frame structure that you can safely bolt a hitch onto, this is a unibody sedan. Also with an 03 S55 you have two large exhaust mufflers and lower bumper moldings, etc... no place to bolt up an ugly trailer hitch. Get an 05 ML500 sport, send it to kleemann and tow with that.
Any mechanical engineer may contradict that statement. The rear section of the unibody still has a frame in order to absorb any rear impact. Those are the two channels that run on each side of the trunk area, with the spare tire carrier in the middle. It is also the place where the bumper reinforcement is bolted into.

The weight of the trailer tongue is not the issue as that is the roughly the weight of 1 normal person. The hitch setup, especially if it incorporates a load distributing design, should be able to handle that. It is the shear and torsion effects, roughly equivalent to the gross weight of the trailer which is the concern.

We already have found a company that can "engineer" (note keyword, NOT simply make) a hidden hitch setup where the receiver can be left onto the vehicle and still invisible from the outside (and clear all obstacles). Gross capacity is designed around 4000 lbs with a 10% tongue load.

Pictures to follow.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:27 PM

You know what? I give up. I think you should do it, just stop asking about it here. Not one single person has endorsed what you are saying in two pages of forum discussion, yet you still come back and say it is fine. What the hell are you asking us for if you are so sure it is just great? Your boss has shown me the wisdom and the path. Not only that, but I think I am going to go out and buy a Ferrari Enzo and put a trailer hitch on that too. You've convinced me for sure because Ferrari certainly envisioned their flagship car towing trailers since any old car can tow over two thousand pounds.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:29 PM

The only difference between your boss's s55 and my enzo is that I am going to wear my hitch proud. As soon as that baby is welded up and bolted on, I am going to get her a windmill hitch cover for when she's not in use.

Last edited by rguy; 10-12-2004 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Any mechanical engineer may contradict that statement. The rear section of the unibody still has a frame in order to absorb any rear impact. Those are the two channels that run on each side of the trunk area, with the spare tire carrier in the middle. It is also the place where the bumper reinforcement is bolted into.

The weight of the trailer tongue is not the issue as that is the roughly the weight of 1 normal person. The hitch setup, especially if it incorporates a load distributing design, should be able to handle that. It is the shear and torsion effects, roughly equivalent to the gross weight of the trailer which is the concern.

We already have found a company that can "engineer" (note keyword, NOT simply make) a hidden hitch setup where the receiver can be left onto the vehicle and still invisible from the outside (and clear all obstacles). Gross capacity is designed around 4000 lbs with a 10% tongue load.

Pictures to follow.
Funny you say that because I actually am a mechanical engineer. These frame rails are still not designed to carry the additional stresses of introducing a hole and applying a load there. I can't imagine that material being stiff by any means, its there to absorb an impact not deflect it. Oh well, go ahead and try to do it. Good luck buddy.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:22 PM

E320

http://www.oris-gmbh.de/english/oris_news/produkte.html

Take note of the statement...

Oris trailer hitches with retractable ball neck are available at
authorized dealers of Daimler Chrysler

The Handling

With lever pressure in the trunk the ball neck swings into operating position
Red flashing LED-indicator at the lever shows that the detent is unlocked
With an easy handle the ball neck is snapped into operating position and locks automatically
The indicator lamp stops flashing and singnalizes the secured lock
Comfortable contacting of the socket because it is integrated in the ball neck

The Benefits

Comfortable handling
Mounting of ball neck is not necessary
No storage of the ball neck in the trunk required
Ball neck in resting position not visible
Socket in resting position not visible
Old 10-12-2004, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
i bet U-HAUL can install it for you too.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:44 PM

E320
Originally Posted by AlBoston
i bet U-HAUL can install it for you too.
I will call our local UHAUL and ask them. Maybe they can work on an Enzo too!
Old 10-13-2004, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
I'm rooting for you Aries Palmiotto ! Anything is possible.

Carlos

Saprissa@aol.com

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2003 S55 Trailer Hitch