S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

S55 amg low voltage no start.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2024, 12:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
s55 amg
S55 amg low voltage no start.

I had left my ignition on for too long, thought it messed a lot up i took it out charged it, for a little bit and put it back in electronics worked fine soft close, radio, sunroof, trunk, it started the engine, the second day,, i cranked the car it was poor crank, i moved the car, and trunt it off, then it never crank again it would just click really fast, my plan is to get a new battery, but there is not crank just shuts everything off and clicks really fast when i turn the key all the way, did i mess something up?
The following users liked this post:
Angela_lisa (07-25-2024)
Old 07-25-2024, 04:25 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
w220 S55 AMG 2004
yes this is an empty battery .... that how it behave however the reason for an empty battery could be either:
1- the battery is stopped being charged because it it simply old and that is its life..
2- the alternator stop charging the battery
3- you leave your car off for very long time and dont drive it for long time to charge , can lead to battery drainage and your battery might be fine but you need to take your car for a long drive to charge the battery well....

now the question is how to know which one of the above before buying a new battery ?

two solutions for this , one safe and one less safe
1- ask a friend who has a same battery or a bit smaller if 90 to 100AHM to lend you his battery , install it and crank the car... after the car starts , remove the positive terminal of the battery .... let it run for 10 minutes ... if the car stopped straight away the your alternator is dead..... if the car stoped after few minutes the ur alternator is weak and will fail soon .... if your car didnt stop then your alternator is in very good condition .... next step is to connect an OBD 2 to read the voltage ,, you should have between 13.7 to 14.1V from the battery voltage which means the alternator is charging the battery

2- ask someone to jump your battery then start the car and follow what is mentioned above ....

Old 07-25-2024, 07:40 AM

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts
2005 S55 AMG, 2001 SL500
[QUOTE=Mafioso113k;9006501]I had left my ignition on for too long, thought it messed a lot up i took it out charged it, for a little bit and put it back in electronics worked fine soft close, radio, sunroof, trunk, it started the engine, the second day,, i cranked the car it was poor crank, i moved the car, and trunt it off, then it never crank again it would just click really fast, my plan is to get a new battery, but there is not crank just shuts everything off and clicks really fast when i turn the key all the way, did i mess something up?[/Q
If the battery is over 5-years-old stick to your plan and do some downfield blocking. Hardwire the charger to the battery. All the wiring can be concealed, and its pigtail won't hinder the trunk closing when it's run outside the car for use. I use the charger if the car is going to sit for a while (week or so) otherwise no need.
DieHard Platinum AGM Battery: H8 Group Size, 900 CCA, 1000 CA, 160 Minute Reserve Capacity, For High Electrical Demands H8-AGM - Advance Auto Parts
Amazon.com: Battery Tender Plus 12V Battery Charger and Maintainer: 1.25 AMP Powersport Battery Charger and Maintainer for Motorcycles, ATVs, UTVs - Smart 12 Volt Automatic Float Charger - 021-0128 : Automotive Amazon.com: Battery Tender Plus 12V Battery Charger and Maintainer: 1.25 AMP Powersport Battery Charger and Maintainer for Motorcycles, ATVs, UTVs - Smart 12 Volt Automatic Float Charger - 021-0128 : Automotive

Last edited by CICBarkeep; 07-25-2024 at 07:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
maw1124 (07-26-2024)
Old 07-26-2024, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 291 Likes on 237 Posts
'06 MB S55 AMG; '04 Audi Allroad 4.2; '05 BMW M3 Conv.; '92 MB 500E
I mean, OP if you have a real charger at home just charge the battery to full overnight. A battery is done not when it dies but when it dies AND WILL NOT RECHARGE. I keep a Schumacher at every house for just this reason. I also do what CICBarKeep has suggested with a pigtail charger on most of the cars (not all, but that will be remedied soon enough).

maw