S63 AMG 4MATIC Coupe, S65 AMG Coupe (C217), Convert. (A217) 2014 -2021

Potential New S63 Cab Owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Land Rover Discovery
Potential New S63 Cab Owner

Curious to get some opinions here on a buying decision I'm stuck on. Looking to replace our SUV lease that's ending soon with something that's a lot more fun but still practical in US Midwest weather. We're looking at two AWD cabriolets that fit the bill: 2017 AMG S63 or 2017 Porsche 911 4S. Both used are in the $90k-$105k range we're targeting. The depreciation being less harsh with the Porsche is a factor, but we can overcome it if the AMG is that much better.

A little background: in my mid 30s with no children (although that could change in a few years), able to afford either option comfortably. I've gradually become more and more of an enthusiast over the past few years and will now rent cars on Turo for fun drives on the weekend. I don't love overly harsh rides but am also looking for something more fun/sporty than our other ride, a Lexus sedan. I might be interested in taking the new car to a track, but no more than a few times a year. This is a car for us to enjoy, so flash and showing off my fancy car doesn't matter. We like the luxury stuff like heated seats/wheel, heads-up displays, Apple Carplay, massage seats, etc. The S63 seems to check more of those boxes than the 911.

I've driven both and enjoyed them both on test drives. The hard part now is deciding which will be more fun, practical, and lead to more smiles and less headaches over the next five years.

Biggest needs are that the car is fun, fast, comfortable, has luxury amenities, four seats (the backseat will be very infrequent use), all wheel drive, and a convertible top. The two I mentioned above seem to fit the bill. What do you guys think I should do?

I appreciate it!!
Old 05-28-2020, 01:07 AM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
2020 S63 Coupe
Originally Posted by jn42887
Curious to get some opinions here on a buying decision I'm stuck on. Looking to replace our SUV lease that's ending soon with something that's a lot more fun but still practical in US Midwest weather. We're looking at two AWD cabriolets that fit the bill: 2017 AMG S63 or 2017 Porsche 911 4S. Both used are in the $90k-$105k range we're targeting. The depreciation being less harsh with the Porsche is a factor, but we can overcome it if the AMG is that much better.

A little background: in my mid 30s with no children (although that could change in a few years), able to afford either option comfortably. I've gradually become more and more of an enthusiast over the past few years and will now rent cars on Turo for fun drives on the weekend. I don't love overly harsh rides but am also looking for something more fun/sporty than our other ride, a Lexus sedan. I might be interested in taking the new car to a track, but no more than a few times a year. This is a car for us to enjoy, so flash and showing off my fancy car doesn't matter. We like the luxury stuff like heated seats/wheel, heads-up displays, Apple Carplay, massage seats, etc. The S63 seems to check more of those boxes than the 911.

I've driven both and enjoyed them both on test drives. The hard part now is deciding which will be more fun, practical, and lead to more smiles and less headaches over the next five years.

Biggest needs are that the car is fun, fast, comfortable, has luxury amenities, four seats (the backseat will be very infrequent use), all wheel drive, and a convertible top. The two I mentioned above seem to fit the bill. What do you guys think I should do?

I appreciate it!!
I guess I'm getting old (second part of 40s) and after test driving s63c and TurboS decided on the merc. I was looking for a daily driver with usable back seats and it is hard to beat S63c in that category. And just for the record since you talked about four seats - even though I managed to convince my wife that 911 had back seats, not sure if I was convinced in that myself and there was no seating space behind my seat whatsoever.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:15 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 S63 Coupe
I looked at a Porsche turbo and the S63 and the S63 was hands down the winner for me. Much more comfort and a better daily. Also if your looking to spend that on a S63 let me know I have some connections that will save you a bundle over buying at dealer
Old 05-28-2020, 01:20 PM

Received 115 Likes on 78 Posts
S63 AMG Cabrio
Exclamation

Both are of course great cars, but totally different in character. The heavy S63 will not be happy on the circuit, the Porsche will very much.

For every other use, the S63 wins hands-down I think........built quality, firmness, luxury, tech goodies, etc.
Drove a pre-facelift S63 cabrio for several years, and the only reason I did trade it in was........the facelifted S63 cabriolet! It is so much better in handling, responsiveness, exhaust sound, transmission, etc, etc. Especially in Sport+ and Race mode it is a huge step forward.......and you can then enjoy and relax afterwards in Comfort en Sport mode. Much more different than you would expect from a facelift (see many other threads about this).

And this new S63 cabriolet can even be enjoyed on a circuit........as Lewis and Frank found out (ok, this one is RWD, but still) :

So I certainly would look for a MY18 facelift S63.............then you will certainly not regret it and don't think about the Porsche anymore

Last edited by HAWKiS63; 05-28-2020 at 01:26 PM.