2021 S63 wouldn't start, with weird transmission cooling message

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2024, 10:17 AM
exi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
--
2021 S63 wouldn't start, with weird transmission cooling message

Issue in title. Less than 20,000 miles. Bought CPO. Still under factory warranty. Single time episode recently where the car would not start.

Was driven from cold for perhaps 30 minutes. Not hard. Parked for 30 to 45 minutes.

Thereafter, would not start. Ignition would switch on. Battery was fully charged. Starter would not attempt to turn over the engine. Intermittent error message on the dash about leaving the engine running (it had not been running for about 45 minutes), stating the transmission was cooling. Have never seen that before. Coolant and oil temperatures were well normal.

Contacted Mercedes Me in-car which was useless. They attempted roadside tow which was unavailable at the time where I was.

A couple hours later, the car started. Upon getting home, noticed higher than usual oil temps (at one point hitting red on dash with only a little revving). Coolant temp still fine.

Dash says oil level is fine.

Weather 70s-80s F and rain.

Getting OBD2 scanner to glean what I can. Schedule doesn't allow dealership for a few days.

Anyone ever have this happen? Any thoughts?
Old 07-10-2024, 05:16 PM
exi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
--
To add, no codes on OBD2. Have driven harder for longer without anything like this about the transmission, without a non-start, and without oil temps >260 F.
Old 07-10-2024, 05:24 PM

Received 177 Likes on 130 Posts
W212 E63S Wagon - GSL580 - E63 - E350 - C300
Me is thinking you have an electrical more than a mechanical....not sure if that is good or bad news. Either way, checking the trans fluid is all but impossible to do "on the cheap" unless you have one heck of a garage setup.

I had that error LONG ago, and it was in a BMW M3 (SMG). In that instance it was a sensor and not too awful costly to repair.
Old 07-10-2024, 07:50 PM
haa

Received 192 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by exi
Issue in title. Less than 20,000 miles. Bought CPO. Still under factory warranty. Single time episode recently where the car would not start.

Was driven from cold for perhaps 30 minutes. Not hard. Parked for 30 to 45 minutes.

Thereafter, would not start. Ignition would switch on. Battery was fully charged. Starter would not attempt to turn over the engine. Intermittent error message on the dash about leaving the engine running (it had not been running for about 45 minutes), stating the transmission was cooling. Have never seen that before. Coolant and oil temperatures were well normal.

Contacted Mercedes Me in-car which was useless. They attempted roadside tow which was unavailable at the time where I was.

A couple hours later, the car started. Upon getting home, noticed higher than usual oil temps (at one point hitting red on dash with only a little revving). Coolant temp still fine.

Dash says oil level is fine.

Weather 70s-80s F and rain.

Getting OBD2 scanner to glean what I can. Schedule doesn't allow dealership for a few days.

Anyone ever have this happen? Any thoughts?
Could be the transmission oil cooling pump or pump relay or thermostat. Take it to the dealer and they can read the OBD error messages that displayed.

Last edited by haa; 07-10-2024 at 07:52 PM.