Sponsored by:

Stick with 2016 S63 or . . .

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 E55
Stick with 2016 S63 or . . .

I've been waiting to place an order for an S63 since early this year. I was hoping that the MY 2016 would address the steering wheel issue. I briefly considered the E63, but think it is a little tight in the back seat.

Over the past year, I've considered the following cars, which I list below with their perceived shortcomings:

Panamera Turbo: dated styling, smallish backseat
M5: no AWD variant

Over the last two weeks, I stumbled across another car that may fit the bill. To give you some parameters, I'm looking for a performance car, but also something luxurious (e.g., top finishes, technology, safety, audio). I also need space for kids/family. So am I crazy to be considering the X5M?

Playing around with configurations, I could get a loaded car for around $115K. To put in perspective, that's about $65K below my proposed S AMG build. It looks like the W222 is slated for a mid-cycle refresh in 2018 and I might be able to avoid my car looking dated within a year of delivery.

So, the dilemma. What to do? Would you consider another car besides the S63? If you have, what other cars did you consider?
Old 08-07-2015, 01:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,228 Likes on 2,009 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by BklynMarc
I've been waiting to place an order for an S63 since early this year. I was hoping that the MY 2016 would address the steering wheel issue. I briefly considered the E63, but think it is a little tight in the back seat.

Over the past year, I've considered the following cars, which I list below with their perceived shortcomings:

Panamera Turbo: dated styling, smallish backseat
M5: no AWD variant

Over the last two weeks, I stumbled across another car that may fit the bill. To give you some parameters, I'm looking for a performance car, but also something luxurious (e.g., top finishes, technology, safety, audio). I also need space for kids/family. So am I crazy to be considering the X5M?

Playing around with configurations, I could get a loaded car for around $115K. To put in perspective, that's about $65K below my proposed S AMG build. It looks like the W222 is slated for a mid-cycle refresh in 2018 and I might be able to avoid my car looking dated within a year of delivery.

So, the dilemma. What to do? Would you consider another car besides the S63? If you have, what other cars did you consider?
I don't get it. You are all over the place with models and types of cars.
Pick the one you really like.
If it's a S63, you can get the steering wheel/airbag in Germany for $2k plus. In the scheme of things, it's a minor cost.
The M5 is end of life and so is the Panamera.
If you like an SUV, get that. I couldn't imagine a car like that for anything but errands, but that's just me...
S class has a facelift in '18 but that will be minor...
Old 08-08-2015, 02:42 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Bigger strategic issues are choosing to live in ex-CA US where roads/weather/topography/ethos suck for any perf car guy

If had small kids and in CA, no-brainer choice of world's safest/most enjoyable car is S65 sedan....agree: despise the crap steering wheel and the archaic roof antenna....but vastly superior to any other choice....and any 63 w/that POS MCT would be a non-starter esp given its non-confidence-inspiring jerkiness/hesitation even in routine driving...and rumored episodes of failing in-traffic/at-speed, much like PDK/DCT: toy boxes which are of neg value in any high-tq car

Don't know any SUV/hatch/wagon that's safe when consider intra-car missles self-inflicted from cargo area in any emergent braking/crash scenario...and in case of SUVs dubious ctr of gvty/rollover risk/no brakes/no confidence in emergent situations
Old 08-08-2015, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,228 Likes on 2,009 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by WSH
Bigger strategic issues are choosing to live in ex-CA US where roads/weather/topography/ethos suck for any perf car guy

If had small kids and in CA, no-brainer choice of world's safest/most enjoyable car is S65 sedan....agree: despise the crap steering wheel and the archaic roof antenna....but vastly superior to any other choice....and any 63 w/that POS MCT would be a non-starter esp given its non-confidence-inspiring jerkiness/hesitation even in routine driving...and rumored episodes of failing in-traffic/at-speed, much like PDK/DCT: toy boxes which are of neg value in any high-tq car

Don't know any SUV/hatch/wagon that's safe when consider intra-car missles self-inflicted from cargo area in any emergent braking/crash scenario...and in case of SUVs dubious ctr of gvty/rollover risk/no brakes/no confidence in emergent situations

I know you are partial to the 65's. Great cars to be sure, especially the coupe but the transmission still sucks on it. AMG GTS today has the best sports transmission of any MB (too bad it can't handle the V12 torque)
Old 08-09-2015, 11:59 PM

'05 E55
Originally Posted by Wolfman
I don't get it. You are all over the place with models and types of cars.
Pick the one you really like.
If it's a S63, you can get the steering wheel/airbag in Germany for $2k plus. In the scheme of things, it's a minor cost.
The M5 is end of life and so is the Panamera.
If you like an SUV, get that. I couldn't imagine a car like that for anything but errands, but that's just me...
S class has a facelift in '18 but that will be minor...
Lol. I hear you wolfman. I checked the MBUSA website and the steering wheel has changed for the 2016 S63. I'm pleased.

Now time to make the choice. I was just giving you the options i thought were viable. Thanks guys. Will keep you informed on my choice.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:06 PM

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
2006 C55
Sweet, please post pics of whatever you choose.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:20 AM

2014 s63
you cant go wrong with the S63
even the old one look sexy they never go out of style