Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand new S63- frustrated

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 07:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Unhappy Brand new S63- frustrated

So, had S8 Plus for 3 years and 50k miles, longer then any car ever in my life, absolutely bulletproof reliable, great performance and fun, loved, loved it.
Replaced it with a Supersports Convertible, 700HP, 750lbs torque, what's not to love?
Put 3k miles on it, again, not even a tiny issue happened but realized it was not practical for my needs in Chicago so got rid of it and picked up a new S63 a month ago.
Gorgeous, put clear wrap on it to make it matte Silver, did Renntech mods, superb comfort and performance in one great package, my family loves the car as much as I do.
One crimp in this script though, almost immediately after delivery observed that every time going over a speed bump, rail tracks or slowly going over potholes, there is a metallic harsh noise from suspension, similar in sound to suspension crashing in extreme driving.
Took it back to dealer and they found out the front shocks are bad and have to be replaced.
Nothing in US, had to be ordered from the factory, they don't have them either, back order and no one knows exactly when they will have them (???!!!).
I am **** as far as maintenance and technical condition of my cars is concerned so it bothers the hell out of me, spent $186k on that car and have to deal with this problem, embarrassing especially when having passengers in the car and have to explain to them what is happening.
Don't want to consider buy back because I already spent too much on mods MB would certainly not reimburse me for.
I just want the car fixed ASAP and go on with my life, hence the frustration.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:54 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,396 Likes on 2,843 Posts
2012 CLS63
Sounds lame as hell Absent........you've had some really great luck with your cars over the years it sounds like. Maybe just relax and go with the flow........at least it's a warranty item right? Have you asked for a comparable loaner whilst waiting for the parts to arrive from the motherland? Guess you 'll have to take the GLA or catch a ride in the Lusso

GL
Old 07-22-2019, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 315 Likes on 216 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by absent
So, had S8 Plus for 3 years and 50k miles, longer then any car ever in my life, absolutely bulletproof reliable, great performance and fun, loved, loved it.
Replaced it with a Supersports Convertible, 700HP, 750lbs torque, what's not to love?
Put 3k miles on it, again, not even a tiny issue happened but realized it was not practical for my needs in Chicago so got rid of it and picked up a new S63 a month ago.
Gorgeous, put clear wrap on it to make it matte Silver, did Renntech mods, superb comfort and performance in one great package, my family loves the car as much as I do.
One crimp in this script though, almost immediately after delivery observed that every time going over a speed bump, rail tracks or slowly going over potholes, there is a metallic harsh noise from suspension, similar in sound to suspension crashing in extreme driving.
Took it back to dealer and they found out the front shocks are bad and have to be replaced.
Nothing in US, had to be ordered from the factory, they don't have them either, back order and no one knows exactly when they will have them (???!!!).
I am **** as far as maintenance and technical condition of my cars is concerned so it bothers the hell out of me, spent $186k on that car and have to deal with this problem, embarrassing especially when having passengers in the car and have to explain to them what is happening.
Don't want to consider buy back because I already spent too much on mods MB would certainly not reimburse me for.
I just want the car fixed ASAP and go on with my life, hence the frustration.
Very interesting!

I have 7800 miles on my ‘19 S63. My car has an MSRP of $186k. I am about to schedule my car in for service as I have developed an issue when going over bumps or speed bumps where in the front there is a grinding or rubbing as the car seems to be bottoming out and rubbing on something. I too noticed the metal harshness noise after my car got back from my Euro Delivery trip in Germany but the metal harshness noise went away. In fact all noise went away until I noticed this rubbing going over bumps. I am now suspecting my car may have the same problem as yours. Otherwise the car has been a dream for 7800 miles.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MTrauman
Very interesting!

I have 7800 miles on my ‘19 S63. My car has an MSRP of $186k. I am about to schedule my car in for service as I have developed an issue when going over bumps or speed bumps where in the front there is a grinding or rubbing as the car seems to be bottoming out and rubbing on something. I too noticed the metal harshness noise after my car got back from my Euro Delivery trip in Germany but the metal harshness noise went away. In fact all noise went away until I noticed this rubbing going over bumps. I am now suspecting my car may have the same problem as yours. Otherwise the car has been a dream for 7800 miles.
Your description is spot on!
Most likely the same problem, mention to your mechanic as it was not easy for mine to diagnose the cause of that noise, all other parameters were fine, ride and handling is still unaffected.
Loaner will be needed only when the parts finally show up.
The usual loaner is E53 or S560 at my dealer (not for GLA owners).
Old 07-22-2019, 08:11 PM

Received 127 Likes on 85 Posts
E55
It doesn't matter how much you spend its a mechanical item and stuff happens. It is all about how a dealer handles it that counts.

Customer service is all but dead. You can change a persons perception and experience with the smallest offer. Problem is younger generations just don't get it and don'e care. The bull**** stops when they have to loose money to make you happy! Its all great as long as they don't loose a penny.

They could make an offer to fix in one day with pick up and delivery or something to show you they want you as a customer. Problem is its usually just like complaining to a rock! Don't let it ruin your life turn up the stereo and tune the noise out.

Didn't know Renntech had mods for the new engine.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DABRONX
It doesn't matter how much you spend its a mechanical item and stuff happens. It is all about how a dealer handles it that counts.

Customer service is all but dead. You can change a persons perception and experience with the smallest offer. Problem is younger generations just don't get it and don'e care. The bull**** stops when they have to loose money to make you happy! Its all great as long as they don't loose a penny.

They could make an offer to fix in one day with pick up and delivery or something to show you they want you as a customer. Problem is its usually just like complaining to a rock! Don't let it ruin your life turn up the stereo and tune the noise out.

Didn't know Renntech had mods for the new engine.
I have no issues with dealer itself, there is nothing they can do when the parts are not available.
It is not something they can "fix" easily, they need to replace the shocks only.
What is frustrating is the fact MB is selling these cars for 2 years now (updated S-Class) and they do not maintain sufficient spare parts inventory.
Renntech has the mods available for this engine for over 2 years now, check their website to see what's available.
They don't list turbo upgrade for S63, only the ECU but it is listed in E63 section and is also available for the S, since it is the same engine.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:54 PM

Received 171 Likes on 109 Posts
18 MB S63, 2022 911 Turbo S, 23 BMW M5C
Sorry to hear you're having this problem. It is what it is though... MB doesn't make this part easily available and it takes a long time to get it but seriously, this is a grand 1st world problem. Eventually they'll get it and you'll be happy again!
Old 07-24-2019, 07:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by stever500
Sorry to hear you're having this problem. It is what it is though... MB doesn't make this part easily available and it takes a long time to get it but seriously, this is a grand 1st world problem. Eventually they'll get it and you'll be happy again!
I disagree it is a 1st world problem, it would affect any new car owner equally, whether it is a $15k KIA or $100k Mercedes or even a $400k Phantom.
Shock absorbers are not some unusual parts, they have them in stock for production of new cars but ZERO stock for customers who just bought their cars with faulty ones?
It's wrong on many levels......
Old 07-25-2019, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts
NB8 PARACHUTE
`

Shock absorbers are not some unusual parts, they have them in stock for production of new cars but ZERO stock for customers who just bought their cars with faulty ones?
It's wrong on many levels......

WOW -

This is an incredible story -

Have you contacted the Home Office in New York -

For someone who just shelled out a substantial amount

of cash for their top of the line - MB the company is certainly

missing the boat -

If AMG is Hand Building a car for a customer and the tech

building the car encounters a bad shock does AMG move that build

to the holding pen while the shock is on back order -

I highly doubt it -

Again - I would contact the MBUSA office in New York -

Please keep this thread updated -

Thank-You
D.B.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:13 PM

Received 127 Likes on 85 Posts
E55
I would guess their is a problem they are trying to resolve and shipping the same part would just make it worse. I would make a call as just because you think your dealer is doing all they can doesn't mean someone higher up couldn't provide a more reasonable resolve to your issue. You are not happy and at that price point someone should be working to change that.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts
NB8 PARACHUTE
`

Originally Posted by DABRONX
You are not happy and at that price point someone should be working to change that.

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thank-You
D.B.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63
Your description is spot on!
Most likely the same problem, mention to your mechanic as it was not easy for mine to diagnose the cause of that noise, all other parameters were fine, ride and handling is still unaffected.
Loaner will be needed only when the parts finally show up.
The usual loaner is E53 or S560 at my dealer (not for GLA owners).
Well my S63 has been in the shop for the past two days. The diagnosis is the exact same with the shocks/struts. And like you they are backordered and do not know when they will get them in. Thanks for your post as I believe it helped the techs diagnosis my issue relatively quickly--only two days!
Old 08-28-2019, 08:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

After 1 month of waiting the new shocks finally arrived, thanks to my dealer at least I did not suffer some A-Class loaner, instead was given a new S450 (great car btw).
Old 08-28-2019, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63
After 1 month of waiting the new shocks finally arrived, thanks to my dealer at least I did not suffer some A-Class loaner, instead was given a new S450 (great car btw).

Great to hear that your shocks have arrived. Hopefully this means my shocks will arrive shortly as well. Thanks again for your original post as this information helped my MB techs figure out what my issue was.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63
The US most have just received a shipment of struts for the S63. I just got a call that my struts/shocks have arrived. So next week my car goes in to the dealer.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63
My defective strut was installed yesterday. From the short drive time I have been behind the wheel, it would appear that so far the problem has been resolved. 👍
Old 09-05-2019, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MTrauman
My defective strut was installed yesterday. From the short drive time I have been behind the wheel, it would appear that so far the problem has been resolved. 👍
There is a silent recall right now, my car was the first reported case but soon after more people found the same problem.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:52 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Formerly: 2007 e63; 2012 GL450
Been looking at some preowned s63's. This reminds me why I will only buy a CPO car (with 3 kids in college and not having the funds for a new one).
Old 10-01-2019, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 478 Likes on 331 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
I'm so glad I have a 2017. Usually the first half of a model run has the bugs that have to be worked out but with the W222, it seems the facelift years (18 and beyond) are the troublesome model years. I've had zero issues with my 17 model and I have 80,000 miles on it.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by MBS63AMG
I'm so glad I have a 2017. Usually the first half of a model run has the bugs that have to be worked out but with the W222, it seems the facelift years (18 and beyond) are the troublesome model years. I've had zero issues with my 17 model and I have 80,000 miles on it.
Not sure I would completely agree with you. It is true that the ‘18 S63 and ‘18 E63 had the check engine light issue that I believe has been fixed. My ‘19 S63 is a dream at about 10k miles with the small issue of the one strut making a bunch of noise. That was fixed under warranty. The ‘19 S63 is (IMHO) much more refined than the pre-face lift (‘14 to ‘17). Don’t get me wrong I enjoyed my time in a ‘17 S63 for 10 days while I was in Germany (rented one for 10 days for Autobahn driving) but the ‘19 is just a more refined beast. Just my 2 cents.