S63 AMG, S63 AMG 4Matic, S65 AMG (W222, V222) 2014 -2021
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are AMG models more expensive to maintain than regular models?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2023, 04:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
N/A
Are AMG models more expensive to maintain than regular models?

Just wanted to know if AMG models are more expensive to maintain than regular/non-AMG models?
Old 01-21-2023, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,453 Likes on 959 Posts
No more MB:(
Seriously? Of course.
Old 01-21-2023, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
N/A
Is it an "artificial" increase in prices since simply because it is an AMG or do the parts cost more? For example, does an oil change in an AMG cost more than an non-AMG?
Old 01-21-2023, 09:28 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,466 Likes on 2,099 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by Kain
Is it an "artificial" increase in prices since simply because it is an AMG or do the parts cost more? For example, does an oil change in an AMG cost more than an non-AMG?
In terms of the 63 models, the parts are more expensive especially due to the high performance properties, brakes include CCB exclusive for them will be more expensive for example. Then there are also specifically trained technicians that gets paid more to handle these performance cars. Since the tolerances for parts between regular MB models and AMGs are different that will increase the cost as well, not to mention there are genuine increase in cost of material used to manufacture these parts. Different tier of vehicles also have different prices when it comes to service at the dealership, C will be lower than E for example and will be lower than S.
The following users liked this post:
places (01-21-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,826 Likes on 2,557 Posts
2019 C63CS
As said above, yes obviously more expensive. There are higher margins built into AMG parts, but also many parts are different. They have higher demands as the cars are built to be driven hard and fast, so brakes and other parts have to be at a different level to cope with that and hence are obviously more expensive. Also, if you drive the car how it's meant to be driven you will also go through consumables faster than on normal commuter cars. Tires won't last as long as on a regular car, because they are high performance tires that are softer vs. nowadays all-season run flat tires on regular Mercedes-Benz cars. A typical performance tire on an AMG may last somewhere between 8k and maybe 12k miles. Brakes will also last less than 20k miles unless you don't use them often. As the saying goes, you have to pay to play.
Old 01-21-2023, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 542 Likes on 376 Posts
2019 S63 4Matic+, 2018 E400 Cabrio, wardens car.
I will say that some of this has to do with your ability to wrench on your own cars. I can do a full brake job on my 19 S63 with new disks, pads, HW and fluids for around 1300.00 and it was around 900.00 on my 2015 S550. Dealer wants considerably more if you drop it off at the dealer for either car. Trans service is more but that is because the dual clutch trans on the S63 has a much shorter service interval. For me it was a matter of, you only live once, buy what you can easily afford with maintenance and break fix built into the equation. It is pretty interesting if you dig into an AMG car, how many AMG stamped and specific parts there are. Everything from beefier suspension parts to panels and covers that allow for more cooling. I think a lot of people think an S63 is just an S560 with different bumpers and a tune, it is not, several key areas of the car have been designed for the high performance aspects of the car.
Old 01-22-2023, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 512 Likes on 381 Posts
222 S-65
AMG cars have model specific brakes that are much larger then the standard car. Same with tires. Carbon ceramic brakes are very expensive if you need to replace rotors... but the rotors and pads don’t wear at the rate of iron rotors.... I rarely get more then 20,000 out of a set of rear tires. But then I enjoy them and let the horses run. You can be certain that interior parts will be a LOT more money then in a standard car.... Something about everything you touch being leather. We pay for entertainment. I find it to be worth it.
Old 01-22-2023, 07:16 AM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
2012 E63 Wagon
I am willing to pay an extra fee to be first in line..
Old 01-22-2023, 09:02 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
Short answer is yes.
Old 01-23-2023, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 316 Likes on 217 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
MUCH MUCH more!

I have owned S Class cars over the past 30 years. My current 2019 S63 brake job done at the dealer was over $7000 which included rotors--these are the steel brakes not CCB. I never have spent even close to this on any non-AMG S Class at the dealer.

Originally Posted by Kain
Just wanted to know if AMG models are more expensive to maintain than regular/non-AMG models?
Old 01-23-2023, 07:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
M6
That’s about the max brake job you can get sold on. Indy much cheaper.
Old 01-23-2023, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,826 Likes on 2,557 Posts
2019 C63CS
I have to say that if you get your brakes done at a dealership you gonna get ripped off. I just had my C63 in for the annual service and both my rear and front brakes are close to needing replacement. I'm already on the second set, car has 30k miles. They quoted me something like $4k for the front, and another $1.5k for the rear. I actually use better aftermarket rotors and get my parts from FCP Euro which offers lifetime guarantee. You only pay for the first set of parts and subsequent replacements are free if you send the worn parts back to them. With my Indy doing the brake job, the whole brake job, front and rear, is under $2k and then free parts from that point on.
The following users liked this post:
hyperion667 (01-23-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 316 Likes on 217 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
I guess getting "ripped off" is up to interpretation. The dealer I use is the only dealer that discounted my custom ordered $200k S63 by $20k when some dealers wanted to charge close to MSRP (I had some California dealers laugh at me for asking for a discount below MSRP--screw them). The dealer I frequent is the same dealer that when I bought a used E class for my son to drive for about $20k without a warranty, they replaced a leaking gas tank for free (customer goodwill) that would have been about a $7500 job. The dealer has to make money somewhere but they go to bat for me as a very loyal customer over 30+ years. I work on many of my other cars (including my race car for road racing competition events and my Corvettes that I use for HPDE events) but my MB cars I take to the dealer because it is a great relationship over 30 years.

Originally Posted by superswiss
I have to say that if you get your brakes done at a dealership you gonna get ripped off. I just had my C63 in for the annual service and both my rear and front brakes are close to needing replacement. I'm already on the second set, car has 30k miles. They quoted me something like $4k for the front, and another $1.5k for the rear. I actually use better aftermarket rotors and get my parts from FCP Euro which offers lifetime guarantee. You only pay for the first set of parts and subsequent replacements are free if you send the worn parts back to them. With my Indy doing the brake job, the whole brake job, front and rear, is under $2k and then free parts from that point on.
Old 01-24-2023, 11:57 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
M6
Having a relationship with your dealership may save you in the long run…maybe, but unless you’re under warranty I’m not sure why you’d pay 50% more or even 100% more for stuff like brakes and oil especially. Having said that I won’t shop at Saks for a tshirt or jeans when I can get them at Nordstrum’s for much cheaper still with good customer service and return policies. I would avoid Kohl’s and Target however cause I am still a snob after all. Now if I had a race car and a fleet of Corvettes and AMG’s, I might not be worried about saving $3000 on a brake job. Haha.
Old 01-24-2023, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 542 Likes on 376 Posts
2019 S63 4Matic+, 2018 E400 Cabrio, wardens car.
Originally Posted by S63amg4mat
Having a relationship with your dealership may save you in the long run…maybe, but unless you’re under warranty I’m not sure why you’d pay 50% more or even 100% more for stuff like brakes and oil especially. Having said that I won’t shop at Saks for a tshirt or jeans when I can get them at Nordstrum’s for much cheaper still with good customer service and return policies. I would avoid Kohl’s and Target however cause I am still a snob after all. Now if I had a race car and a fleet of Corvettes and AMG’s, I might not be worried about saving $3000 on a brake job. Haha.
There is a certain comfort with going to dealer and everyone has to decide if the premium is worth the cost. I don't do my own taxes and pay an obscene amount of money for a tax accountant to do this task as I like not worrying as much about mistakes and letters from uncle sucker. I could go the Turbo Tax route but chose not to. I do happen to do my own brakes as I enjoy working on cars and have the tools to properly do the job and it does save a considerable amount of money but I get MT's point as well.

Last edited by superpop; 01-24-2023 at 09:49 PM.