Notices
Safety & Testimonials Discuss Mercedes-Benz safety related topics and issues, including testimonials.

My airbags didn't work either

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 01:29 PM
JLF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My airbags didn't work either

Does anyone know why my airbags didn't work when I was hit head-on by another car traveling at 30-35 mph? I have a 2003 E500 and was at a full stop at a traffic light when the other car slammed into me. I had my seat belt on as well. The Mercedes dealer said that the airbags didn't deploy because I was not moving. That doesn't make much sense to me because that thinking means that I could have been hit head-on by a truck going 80 mph and the airbags would still not have deployed. Thanks.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:47 PM

I always thought the sensors measured what the force of impact was and then made the determination to deploy or not.

I'd take pictures, and keep records. You maybe able to lemon the car. Dealers will tell you anything to leave them alone.
Old 03-06-2005, 02:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML 320 CDI
Did you or anyone else in the car recieve any bad injurys? If not then that is why the airbags didn't deploy, they will only deploy if the collision is severe enought to cause you nasty injurys. Airbags themselves injure people so they are now only triggered to go off when REALLY needed and not when you clip a pebble.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:00 PM
JLF

Thanks for the replies. Do you know the criteria for deployment of the airbags? I was at a full stop and after impact with the other car (a Honda Civic) my car was driven back fifteen feet. I would think that impact would be sufficient for my airbags to deploy.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:01 PM

C230 coupe 2003, 2014 GLK350, 2020 GLC63
I don't know the criteria for airbag deployment, but if your car was at a full stop when it was hit head on, then your body was moving backwards away from the airbag/steering wheel. Maybe that's why the airbags did not deploy (ok, your body would actually be sitting still while the steering wheel moves towards you initially during the impact, but depending on the severity of the impact, I would guess that you moved backwards with the car).

Last edited by REX0000; 03-09-2005 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:15 PM

Were you hurt at all? If not then the car did its job.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:32 PM

Need pics!!!! I have seen some crashes that pinned the driver and no bags deployed because the bumper did not take any of impact. I have also seen low speed crashes, less than 10 mph, with no visable damage to the bumper deploy the bags.

Cheers,
Steve
Rescue 14 "A" shift
Old 03-29-2005, 05:27 AM
Almost a Member!

2006 Renault Megane II
Originally Posted by x15jq
Were you hurt at all? If not then the car did its job.
I agree, for those that like to download Top Gear and 5th Gear episodes and saw the fixed head on collision between the two Renault Espaces know about this, if the airbags didn't deploy the car decided to save you $$,$$$ because with the passive systems it was enough.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
The airbag was to help to stop your body from moving forward when your car get hit, this help to lesser internal damage.

When your car is moving, and hit something, by momentum, your body still move, and this is why airbag deploy to save you.

When your car is at stop, even if something hit it, there's no moving momentum on your body, and that's why airbag did not deploy.

Originally Posted by JLF
Does anyone know why my airbags didn't work when I was hit head-on by another car traveling at 30-35 mph? I have a 2003 E500 and was at a full stop at a traffic light when the other car slammed into me. I had my seat belt on as well. The Mercedes dealer said that the airbags didn't deploy because I was not moving. That doesn't make much sense to me because that thinking means that I could have been hit head-on by a truck going 80 mph and the airbags would still not have deployed. Thanks.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:56 PM

E55
Mercedes airbags do not employ an impact sensor like most other cars. They measure the g force of the impact with an decelerometer that is (I think) between the passenger seats. Thus an impact in and of itself will not deploy the airbags. Only a sufficient DEceleration will cause this. In an ACceleration such as getting hit while stopped your body is supported by the seat and airbags would be useless.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:28 PM
Almost a Member!

The probable reason that your airbags did not trigger is that your car moved fifteen feet backwards. This allowed the impact force to be dissipated over a longer period of time. It's all to do with kinetic energy.

Let's say a car weighing 1500 kg, is travelling at 120 km/h (34 m/s). The kinetic energy is 1/2 * 1500 * 34 squared, which is 867,000 Newtons.

Which is going to be more devastating, a crash that dissipates 867,000 Newtons over 15 meters or a crash that dissipates that force over just 1 metre?

Or, imagine catching a baseball. What will hurt your hand more, catching a well hit ball and not moving your hand or catching the ball and moving your hand backwards to cushion the impact?

Imagine the much larger surge impact force that would have occured if your car did not move backwards at all, then I am sure that the airbags would have deployed.

That's why I would rather roll my rally car (full roll cage and harnesses) for 30 or 40 metres than hit a tree head on. The same amount of force is dissipated over a larger amount of time.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:00 AM

2000 C230K, 1929 Ford P.U., 1946 Pontiac
80% of all makes air bag sensors deploy by means of G-forces that the sensor is attached to during impact. That includes Mercedes Benz as well. (25 years in the autobody/refinish industry)