Notices
Safety & Testimonials Discuss Mercedes-Benz safety related topics and issues, including testimonials.

Regional and Demographic Vehicle Operator Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 09:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Debadged 6-Speed '05 C320 Sports Coupe
Exclamation Regional and Demographic Vehicle Operator Issues

There was a recent topic, where the topic was a 44-second long video created and narrated by the moving-vehicle operator. Issues related to distracted operators were discussed, in addition to the subject of that video.

It was evident and obvious that there is a broad opinion disparity for operator-induced safety issues. Factors affecting those divergent opinions may be regional, with one set of operator problems affecting the Northeast and different issues afflicting other regions. There may be one set of concerns for “old-school” operators while younger operators maintain different apprehensions.

The most significant safety issues I continuously encounter, in Rhode Island, Massachusetts and Connecticut are distracted operators and bad operators.

The largest contingent of distracted operators I observe are utilizing a cell phone as their major focus, while permitting their vehicle to careen down the highway. Others: read; apply cosmetics; discipline children; shoot video; manipulate the NAV; search for satisfying content on the audio, or a myriad of activities, other than operating their vehicle.

The lane obstructers eek out the win from the other bad operators. This group is at home in the passing lane, door panel to door panel, with the vehicle in the travel lane. My observations include watching this group immediately transit from the entrance ramp to the passing lane. My observations also include these rocket scientists delaying their departure from the passing lane, until the last possible sub-micro-nano-second, prior to exiting the highway. (Maybe placing the ramps onto the left side would improve safety.)

Some of the other bad operators: conserve energy by never illuminating their turn signal lamps; are free-spirits, unwilling to be confined within marked lanes; utilize the force field generated by turn signals to repel vehicles having right-of-way from their intended path or intrude on the privacy of the prior vehicle by peering through their window while driving bumper-to-bumper.

Another favorite of mine are those with current or expired certificates permitting the vehicle to violate the laws of physics. That group requires rapid attention for observation, as they are initially spotted only during a fleeting moment, during heavy rain, snow or icing conditions. But, a more detailed examination is often permitted of their stationary crumpled remains.

These are my observations. What are yours?
Old 01-16-2008, 12:44 AM

2005 Mercedes C230 Sport Sedan (W203)
I'm with you man. Some people on these forums make some stupid moves sometimes. I hate hearing about how some of these guys are racing on the streets and they're telling their stories, aware that they're putting innocent people's lives at risk, without caring.

It is only *some* people though. The majority of the users on this forum are helpful and make this a good community, but there's always a small percentage of people that ruin it for the rest of us.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by wingless
There was a recent topic, where the topic was a 44-second long video created and narrated by the moving-vehicle operator. Issues related to distracted operators were discussed, in addition to the subject of that video.

It was evident and obvious that there is a broad opinion disparity for operator-induced safety issues. Factors affecting those divergent opinions may be regional, with one set of operator problems affecting the Northeast and different issues afflicting other regions. There may be one set of concerns for “old-school” operators while younger operators maintain different apprehensions.

The most significant safety issues I continuously encounter, in Rhode Island, Massachusetts and Connecticut are distracted operators and bad operators.

The largest contingent of distracted operators I observe are utilizing a cell phone as their major focus, while permitting their vehicle to careen down the highway. Others: read; apply cosmetics; discipline children; shoot video; manipulate the NAV; search for satisfying content on the audio, or a myriad of activities, other than operating their vehicle.

The lane obstructers eek out the win from the other bad operators. This group is at home in the passing lane, door panel to door panel, with the vehicle in the travel lane. My observations include watching this group immediately transit from the entrance ramp to the passing lane. My observations also include these rocket scientists delaying their departure from the passing lane, until the last possible sub-micro-nano-second, prior to exiting the highway. (Maybe placing the ramps onto the left side would improve safety.)

Some of the other bad operators: conserve energy by never illuminating their turn signal lamps; are free-spirits, unwilling to be confined within marked lanes; utilize the force field generated by turn signals to repel vehicles having right-of-way from their intended path or intrude on the privacy of the prior vehicle by peering through their window while driving bumper-to-bumper.

Another favorite of mine are those with current or expired certificates permitting the vehicle to violate the laws of physics. That group requires rapid attention for observation, as they are initially spotted only during a fleeting moment, during heavy rain, snow or icing conditions. But, a more detailed examination is often permitted of their stationary crumpled remains.

These are my observations. What are yours?
I love your post.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:27 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 CLA Motorsport Edition, 2015 G550, 2012 GLK350
I for revoking everyones license. Then make everyone take a real drivers education course and have mandatory annual refresher training. I get sick of individuals in unkept or unmanageable vehicles trying to inflict harm on myself or my family! I quit working on other peoples cars because they are too cheap in general to keep them properly maintained, let alone actually caring about driving them properly.

Don't you hate it when someone (usually talking on a phone ) is right on you bumper. ( NASCAR fan drafting I guess ) I think, ya know if I have to make a panic stop for some reason, this person is gonna mess up nicely waxed rear clip! ( I don't really say it like that-I left the expletives out )

Anyway I agree with you....
Old 01-16-2008, 05:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by polarbexar

Don't you hate it when someone (usually talking on a phone ) is right on you bumper. ( NASCAR fan drafting I guess ) I think, ya know if I have to make a panic stop for some reason, this person is gonna mess up nicely waxed rear clip! ( I don't really say it like that-I left the expletives out )

Anyway I agree with you....
Tow hitches are lovely for preventing tailgating from lower cars.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E90 M3
hey guys check out this PIMP vid i made
of my valentine one in action
http://youtube.com/watch?v=IJL5vgR_pJI
Old 01-22-2008, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IS300
Originally Posted by kevblah
Old 01-23-2008, 09:09 PM

2005 Mercedes C230 Sport Sedan (W203)
Originally Posted by kevblah
Lmao, saw that one coming....
Old 01-24-2008, 09:25 AM

Yes, there is a dichotomy of opinion regarding safe and appropriate ancillary activities permissible while operating a motor vehicle. This is observed both on-the-road and on-line.

The recent NE snow storm reminded me of a long-standing favorite issue, tunnel vision. The morning commute always includes some motorists that clear snow from a dollar-bill sized aperture in front of the wheel, leaving the remainder of their vehicle encrusted within a fluffy white cocoon. Many motorists appear to be training for a soon-to-be Olympic competition of vehicle snow launching, which is judged for both altitude and acrobatics.

The state of Rhode Island is preparing to lead the nation in anti-distracted motorist legislation. A statute has been proposed that would both prohibit and penalize both 16 and 17 year-olds that dare to use a hand-held phone or aftermarket NAV equipment. They would be whacked with $50, for the first two offenses and a staggering $100 on the third or later offense. This proposed statute recognizes the threat from immature motorists and acknowledges the innate and unfaltering abilities of those who’ve managed to navigate eighteen or more orbits around the sun. It is expected that this legislation will become the template for the nation on this issue. It is expected that states will replace existing totalitarian hand-held cell phone bans, with one targeting only the youth.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:11 AM

My work now has me driving in the Miami / Fort Lauderdale area. I thought New England drivers are bad...

One, maybe two motorists were observed NOT using a hand-held cell phone. Is there a hotline to report those not using the phone?

The fender benders on a four-lane highway remain in the travel lane, while those rocket scientists walk around talking on their phones. No problems to traffic flow from that activity…

It is impossible to have more than one car length between vehicles, or the vehicle in the next lane squeezes in to that space.

When there is insufficient space for the next lane vehicle to fit, they move over anyways, but in that case they never using the turn signal. That’s what my brake pedal is for.

On the plus side, the horn is frequently tested. Once a stoplight turns green, the vehicles behind the lead test their horn operation.

What I don’t get is the roads are clean, dry, wide and in great shape, forget about snow, but there is at least one accident to and from work every day.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:22 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Great obsvns, wingless

I view part of responsible, safe driving to be to continually risk-profile fellow, nearby drivers so one can adjust following dists, lane position, etc to have an "exit" strategy if an emergent situation arises....and minimize one's odds of being rear-ended (biggest risk when driving a car w/high-powered brakes on any busy, urban fwy)....

Have generally found drivers w/lower-value cars to be more inept/distracted/dangerous (at any speed) than those driving high-end, newer cars...

And have found traffic flow patterns to be notably worse, more unsafe in areas with lower income/education levels (FL is one of the meccas for this dangerous crowd)....even within the relatively highly educated, affluent NYC region, one can easily discern more unsafe, irrational driving in the generally less affluent/less well-educated NJ/LI suburbs than in the Greenwich corridor....

Also depends upon time of day and specific routes....some of fastest, safest fwy commutes are in early AM (5AMish) along routes favored by rather affluent workaholics (e.g., SF-SiliconValley on 280 and Greenwich-Manhattan) who tend to drive new, high-powered cars and are purposeful in their driving as they do conf calls on car's speakerphone w/offices in another time zone....most of the cars on road in the "traditional" ?7-9AM rush hr tend to be driven by secretaries/clerical types who show up at work just for a paycheck and drive in a predictably inept fashion....

IMO, generally, driving styles correlate well with risk/reward judgment of driver....so the socio-economic parallels aren't surprising....they don't hand out certain cars/SUVs to just anyone....

And many parts of US aren't places where many talented, high-achieving people choose to live/work....simple socio-economic geography often predicts driving patterns....

I suspect these generalized obsvns are confirmed if one examines driving records/insurance claims histories of those who drive $150K+, <1yo commuter cars vs those who drive a more typical 10yo econobox/SUV....