Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter tires for Gt-53

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 11:06 AM

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
2018 E63 S (white wagon), 2016 Viper ACR Extreme, 2005 Porsche GT3 Cup race car,2020 GLE
Winter tires for Gt-53

Cant seem to find snow tires? My GT-53 has 265/40/20 and 295/35/20 Anyone have any ideas what we can use?

Thanks
Old 12-17-2019, 07:49 PM

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
2021 CLA 250
Bump from a new GT53 owner here. Does anyone have an update on what they were able to find in the 20-inch size? Either winter or even all-season would be good. Tirerack only lists the stock Pilot 4 S as the available fitment.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:55 AM

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
2021 CLA 250
Originally Posted by NovaOne
Bump from a new GT53 owner here. Does anyone have an update on what they were able to find in the 20-inch size? Either winter or even all-season would be good. Tirerack only lists the stock Pilot 4 S as the available fitment.
Sort of answering my own question here.

I'm taking it easy for the winter, only driving the GT 53 on days warmer than 45 degrees. I am not sure how long these summer tires will last, but once they are worn out, I plan to mount the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 all-season tires. Since the DWS does not come in stock 20" sizes for the GT53, I have to go up on the tire width for the following sizes:

Front:
Original: 265/40/20, 2261mm circumference
DWS: 275/40/20, 2286mm circumference, 1.1% larger.

Rear:
Original: 295/35/20, 2244mm circumference
DWS: 315/35/20, 2287mm circumference, 2% larger.

The change in the diameter of the rear wheel initially looks worrisome, but it's mainly because the stock rear wheel size is about 1% smaller than the front, to begin with. What I do like is that the two DWS tires are nearly a perfect match in terms of diameter, which while not as important for 4Matic as it is for Audi's Quattro system, is nonetheless reassuring.

Anyway, that's the plan, hope others find this useful.
Old 05-21-2020, 02:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 GLC43C4, 2023 AMGEQEV4
All-seasons on GT53 (21-inch)

I thought it might be worth sharing my (early) experience in the spirit of this discussion.

I have a 2019 GT53 with 21-inch rims - I intentionally pursued that size option due to the availability of a decent all-season tire that I could install.
Context: This is a daily driver for me, and I value convenience over perfection in performance. In my location, we'll have temperatures below 40-45degrees (in the early AM, when I'm commuting) on some days even as early as October, and as late as May. So, the ideal season for summer tires is narrower than it might be for most of you.
In my other MB vehicle (GLC43) I actually have one dedicated wheel set of all-seasons, and a separate set of winter tires on dedicated wheels; for the GT53, I like my forged 21-inch wheels a bit too much to not have them on year-round.

So, since earlier this month I stashed away my OEM summer tires (Michelin pilot sport 4s) and installed the Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S (315/30R21 in back; 275/35R21 in front). The specific variant are Porsche OEM tires (N1-spec) that you can request as an all-season option with the latest Panameras.
(Caveat: the Pirellis are V-speed rated, in contrast with the Y-rated summer Michelins -- but I don't plan to be exceeding 149mph anytime soon ...)

I've had them on for a couple weeks, and they ride great. Lower-noise than the OEM summers, too. No complaints in handling in typical driving conditions, so far. Haven't tested them in snow, obviously, but happy to report back on that when the time comes.

I'm attaching a couple pics, for reference

Last edited by efty_wi; 05-21-2020 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-10-2020, 04:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Audi RS7
Originally Posted by Clk63blkseries
Cant seem to find snow tires? My GT-53 has 265/40/20 and 295/35/20 Anyone have any ideas what we can use?

Thanks
I use the Pirelli sottozero III tires on my GT63s
good luck, its a beast in the snow, need a plow next
Old 06-11-2020, 03:17 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
BMW M3 cabrio
Dunno when they'll be available here, but on my GT63 w/ 19s, I ordered an extra set of 19 factory wheels from a vendor in Europe and they came with P-zero Winter (not available in the U.S. yet, last I checked) and found them to be best winter tires I've ever used.
Old 02-08-2022, 12:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gls550
Originally Posted by efty_wi
I thought it might be worth sharing my (early) experience in the spirit of this discussion.

I have a 2019 GT53 with 21-inch rims - I intentionally pursued that size option due to the availability of a decent all-season tire that I could install.
Context: This is a daily driver for me, and I value convenience over perfection in performance. In my location, we'll have temperatures below 40-45degrees (in the early AM, when I'm commuting) on some days even as early as October, and as late as May. So, the ideal season for summer tires is narrower than it might be for most of you.
In my other MB vehicle (GLC43) I actually have one dedicated wheel set of all-seasons, and a separate set of winter tires on dedicated wheels; for the GT53, I like my forged 21-inch wheels a bit too much to not have them on year-round.

So, since earlier this month I stashed away my OEM summer tires (Michelin pilot sport 4s) and installed the Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S (315/30R21 in back; 275/35R21 in front). The specific variant are Porsche OEM tires (N1-spec) that you can request as an all-season option with the latest Panameras.
(Caveat: the Pirellis are V-speed rated, in contrast with the Y-rated summer Michelins -- but I don't plan to be exceeding 149mph anytime soon ...)

I've had them on for a couple weeks, and they ride great. Lower-noise than the OEM summers, too. No complaints in handling in typical driving conditions, so far. Haven't tested them in snow, obviously, but happy to report back on that when the time comes.

I'm attaching a couple pics, for reference

do you have link for these tires? Do you have to buy from Porsche dealer?
Old 02-08-2022, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by goblue2021
do you have link for these tires? Do you have to buy from Porsche dealer?
My local dealer has both Mercedes and Porsche in the same franchise, so it was easy to order these.
But, in my experience, it is absolutely doable for your Mercedes dealer to order a set of tires, say from TireRack, and have them shipped directly to their service department for installation (they do it all the time at my local dealer).

You can see the link for the tires here (hopefully it works ...)

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

Be mindful to get the N1-spec tires (as opposed to the N0-spec ones)
Old 02-08-2022, 10:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gls550
Originally Posted by efty_wi
My local dealer has both Mercedes and Porsche in the same franchise, so it was easy to order these.
But, in my experience, it is absolutely doable for your Mercedes dealer to order a set of tires, say from TireRack, and have them shipped directly to their service department for installation (they do it all the time at my local dealer).

You can see the link for the tires here (hopefully it works ...)

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

Be mindful to get the N1-spec tires (as opposed to the N0-spec ones)
Thank you so much!!!! There is actually a Mercedes/ Porsche dealer combo an hour from me.

I’ll probably buy them right from tire rack to have them ready to go. I assume any tire place or the Mercedes’ dealer in my town can change them out?

To your knowledge are these the only all season options?

Old 02-08-2022, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by goblue2021
Thank you so much!!!! There is actually a Mercedes/ Porsche dealer combo an hour from me.

I’ll probably buy them right from tire rack to have them ready to go. I assume any tire place or the Mercedes’ dealer in my town can change them out?

To your knowledge are these the only all season options?
I'd probably not mess around with a random installer here, many smaller tire shops just flat out don't have the proper equipment to install 21-inch tires safely without dinging your rims. Also, in my experience the cost of ordering through the dealer was quite comparable (within $100 in the fully installed cost) of buying from tirerack and having them put on by one of their default installers.

To my understanding, this is the only all-season option for the GT 4-door's 21inch rims. I've had very good experience with them in the winter actually over 2 seasons ... you'll never match the traction and stability of a dedicated winter tire, but they've performed pretty darn well.

Finally, keep in mind that these tires are not run-flat. I'm ok with that, I bought a tirefit kit just in case I have an emergency puncture.

Your other alternative, which was not available to me when I initially posted this almost 2 years ago, is to get a second dedicated winter tire set. Mercedes has a neat looking 20inch set, which will set you back approximately $4500-5000 to get.

https://www.mbusa.com/en/winter-whee...ire-assemblies
It's up to you to decide if it's worth it. For my other vehicle, a GLC43, I actually have a dedicated set of winter wheels, My dealer stores whichever set I'm not using at a given point in time, and handles seasonal swap outs. Cost ~$350/year. You can decide what makes most sense to you ...
Old 07-16-2024, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC300
Originally Posted by Clk63blkseries

Thanks
I bought spare wheels and snow tires for my 2023 AMG GT 53. I sold the car; but the wheels and tires are available in Concord, NH. My daughter and son-in-law are shopping them.

Details:

4 Black Spoke 20" Rims for a 2023 Mercedes AMG GT53 coupe.

2 Michelin Pilot Alpine 5 front snow tires, size: 265/40/20

2 Michelin Pilot Alpine 5 rear snow tires, size 295/35/20

Used one season - no more than 3100 miles of use.

Total Cost $5,649.22 when purchased in November 2023.

They worked great. Would have kept the car, but was laid off and traded for a Porsche Cayenne to help with home projects.

If interested, contact info is bolandjm@comcast.net