Sponsored by:

New 2022 AMG GT 53

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2023, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 GLA45 AMG Audi A7 quattro
New 2022 AMG GT 53

All, my wife just got this car which is an incredible car. However, the silver trim around all the doors and windows are all splotchy no other way to say it. Almost looks like water marks. The car is brand new off the lot not even washed yet. So I tried soap and water, tried Mothers silver trim polish. Nothing cuts it it dulls and then comes right back out. So I took it to our local Mercedes Dealer who I know well and deal with. He said yes we have seen this before its etching from the water used and it will not come out. I bought the car in TX I am in Oklahoma. He said $2-3K to replace it as Mercedes will not repair under warranty they have tried. This car is a week old any ideas? Thx

If you blow up you can see issue on the trim
Old 01-09-2023, 08:27 PM

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
Mine: 2014 E550 4matic; Hers: 2016 CLS 400 4matic
Call the selling dealer or see a detailer to get it polished.
Old 01-09-2023, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
M6 Gran Coupe
Originally Posted by Keith Roberts
All, my wife just got this car which is an incredible car. However, the silver trim around all the doors and windows are all splotchy no other way to say it. Almost looks like water marks. The car is brand new off the lot not even washed yet. So I tried soap and water, tried Mothers silver trim polish. Nothing cuts it it dulls and then comes right back out. So I took it to our local Mercedes Dealer who I know well and deal with. He said yes we have seen this before its etching from the water used and it will not come out. I bought the car in TX I am in Oklahoma. He said $2-3K to replace it as Mercedes will not repair under warranty they have tried. This car is a week old any ideas? Thx

If you blow up you can see issue on the trim

Let me rephrase....your dealer sucks and they don't want to replace it. I just had all of the black shadowline window trim on my driver side replaced under warranty by the dealer for something similar. This is a common problem on Mercedes car.....normally more so if that window trim is the black shadowline. Some dealers will actually do their job and replace it under warranty and then others are just ****ty dealers.
Old 01-09-2023, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
M6 Gran Coupe
Originally Posted by Munich77
Call the selling dealer or see a detailer to get it polished.
I hear this rarely works (polishing or detailing) on this type of etching....I tried on mine and nothing worked. I did a a search of the detailer forums extensively before I polished mine and several detailers had said they could not get it removed....it's a defect with the metal. It's de-laminating.
Old 01-09-2023, 09:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,518 Likes on 2,141 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
As others mentioned, I would recommend trying other dealerships, they are all individually owned by different dealership groups, see if a different dealership will be willing to help. That said though, you just bought the car from that dealership, new car too and only a few days old, it was like that prior to delivery, the least they could have done is offered you something as a compensation. Unless I am missing something, then shame on this dealership to treat you like this.
Old 01-09-2023, 09:38 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,518 Likes on 2,141 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
I forgot to include that there is also a thread on this, very common like others mentioned: https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...ml#post8274409