The following users liked this post:
BLKROKT (08-23-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 892 Likes on 626 Posts
E63S | X5
Originally Posted by gaspam
SNIP*

why would they worry about making the airbox better when they were already making the power they wanted to make lol....
Just so I don't make assumptions, and I don't want to requote your whole post.. Does this sentence imply that the airbox on the m156 c63 is different from the m156 e63/s63?

As in, when the cars come from the factory do you think that the c and e/s are setup differently in the airbox housing?

All so they could market the cars differently at different power levels?

So what have we learned in this thread. When your filters get clogged, you lose power. When you put new filters in, you get more power. This entire thread can just be summed up in one sentence "Go clean your filters."

As for everyone wanting BLKROKT to eat a shoe, I hate to say this but I stole his shoes to use to prop up my air filters to make 750whp. He is now shoeless and cannot catch me because he has nothing to prop up his filters with and can't hang with the kind of power I'm making with my sweet mod. Shame, they were nice Nike's, too. Standby for dyno graphs, they are drawn in crayon but I swear its 100% legit.
The following 3 users liked this post by CarHopper:
BLKROKT (08-23-2016), Diabolis (08-25-2016), Mazspeed (08-23-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,670 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
I want my shoe back
Old 08-23-2016, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
1000Hp Diesel Trucks, 2019 E63s
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
Just so I don't make assumptions, and I don't want to requote your whole post.. Does this sentence imply that the airbox on the m156 c63 is different from the m156 e63/s63?

As in, when the cars come from the factory do you think that the c and e/s are setup differently in the airbox housing?

So what have we learned in this thread. When your filters get clogged, you lose power. When you put new filters in, you get more power. This entire thread can just be summed up in one sentence "Go clean your filters."

As for everyone wanting BLKROKT to eat a shoe, I hate to say this but I stole his shoes to use to prop up my air filters to make 750whp. He is now shoeless and cannot catch me because he has nothing to prop up his filters with and can't hang with the kind of power I'm making with my sweet mod. Shame, they were nice Nike's, too. Standby for dyno graphs, they are drawn in crayon but I swear its 100% legit.
The filters in the before test that were removed and replaced are brand new AFE dry filters.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
When I made that comment about turbulence many pages ago I was thinking about this (image below). Just as BLKROKT believes this phenomenon could not possibly be induced by the positioning of the air filter in the airbox, I believe that it has to occur to some degree, the question is simply "amount" and "effect." Personally, I can't wait for the next round of dyno tests and hopefully they'll be definitive.
Attached Thumbnails M156 UPD Intake Spacer Review-airlow.jpg  
gaspam (08-23-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jasonoff
I want in on the MSPaint artwork!

Top is bad...
Bottom is +30hp and super awesome...

Old 08-23-2016, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 892 Likes on 626 Posts
E63S | X5
Originally Posted by PACougar
The filters in the before test that were removed and replaced are brand new AFE dry filters.
I have gathered that you own the EC in TX.

So, question. Why did the comment about Jerry running a c63 with no filters (as in, no blockage whatsoever) go ignored?

My understanding is Jerry is the man behind tuning at EC. And if Jerry isn't getting these results, even with filters completely removed, how am I to believe that adding a $500 filter spacer is going to pick up as much power as a tune?

That is the biggest unsettling thing here. As for the back and forth dyno manipulation I don't want to get involved there. Dyno discussions on this board are just downright RIDICULOUS.
The following 2 users liked this post by CarHopper:
Diabolis (08-25-2016), Mazspeed (08-23-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts
2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth

no the M156 c63/ e63 airboxes are same with same part numbers... my point was MB didnt need to make a better airbox for the power numbers they were shooting for... same reason they didnt slap a 3.0L blower on the M156 even though we know it makes more power

and yes its well known MB detuned the c63 M156 to add another reason why its more expensive siblings could more justify their higher price
Old 08-23-2016, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have gathered that you own the EC in TX.

So, question. Why did the comment about Jerry running a c63 with no filters (as in, no blockage whatsoever) go ignored?

My understanding is Jerry is the man behind tuning at EC. And if Jerry isn't getting these results, even with filters completely removed, how am I to believe that adding a $500 filter spacer is going to pick up as much power as a tune?

That is the biggest unsettling thing here. As for the back and forth dyno manipulation I don't want to get involved there. Dyno discussions on this board are just downright RIDICULOUS.
That's exactly what Jerry saw on the one car he did it on. Just like this is exactly what we saw on the one car we've tested this setup on. Just like every stock car doesn't dyno at the same power level and I'm not talking about differences from one dyno to another. We've had large variances from stock M156's.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,587 Likes on 935 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
I wanna try spacer with NO filter. 50whp!
Old 08-23-2016, 08:36 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C63
Is the picture of the "obstructed" airbox from a M156 airbox? Or is it from the M157? That picture is the same used for the ad post for the M157...
Old 08-23-2016, 08:47 PM

Received 205 Likes on 146 Posts
C63 amg Custom 67 Camaro GLK 350 4matic 2017 AMG GTS
That's exactly what Jerry saw on the one car he did it on. Just like this is exactly what we saw on the one car we've tested this setup on. Just like every stock car doesn't dyno at the same power level and I'm not talking about differences from one dyno to another. We've had large variances from stock M156's.
Don't you think, even for a second that the reason why if you pick up any horsepower when you did the switch was because you replaced dirty air filters? Did that ever come into your mind? Because the spacers are going to do less than nothing. I have a friend of a friend that actually races cars for the AMG team I'm going to ask them what they think of this.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Mazspeed
Don't you think, even for a second that the reason why if you pick up any horsepower when you did the switch was because you replaced dirty air filters? Did that ever come into your mind? Because the spacers are going to do less than nothing. I have a friend of a friend that actually races cars for the AMG team I'm going to ask them what they think of this.
You may want to actually read what I've written. I've now posted multiple times that the car had brand new AFE filter. Believe it or not, I've been modding and building cars for quite along time. We were all just as surprised with the power gains on that car, nonetheless, it's what happened.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:08 PM

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2019 911 GTS / 2016 X3 / 2015 E63s / 1993 RX-7
Originally Posted by BLKROKT

The dyno runs will be the proof. Bottomline. I too am skeptical about the gains.

BUT, as stated, even in your drawing, there will be improved flow through the filter, all things being equal if the filter is not obstructing flow by hanging down into the path of the air entering the box. The volume of air entering the box for a fixed volume will be better if the filter does not hang down. This volume of air will then cross the filter based on the delta/gradient across the filter.

If space under the hood was NOT an issue and the filters were directly inline with the flow of the air they would outperform a filter setup like the airboxes that we currently have in the C63.

As posted in the 'race car' with the filter facing forward (albeit slight slanted) it will be a superior setup to one where the air has to take a bend to enter the filter.

These bends / obstructions in the intake worth addressing in the intake side for the same reasons car enthusiasts go gaga over mandrel bent intercooler piping and exhaust piping.

No doubt you can make huge power with a S/C with the current intake -> Weistec stage 1, 2, 3. You can even do a S/C using a stock intake and even exhaust.

Will you make more power if you open up the exhaust? of course, as most guys do when they install a Weistec Stage 3. Hence some of the comments regarding the Magnusson S/C on otherwise stock cars (is there room for improvement? will they make more power with a set of headers etc? Of course).

The engine is just an air pump. Anything that gets the air in easier (whether N/A or forced induction) and gets the air out will improve its efficiency.

From a non vehicle example, removing a small amount of obstruction upstream will have impacts on performance. No different that why we sometimes perform a bronchoschopy on patients to clear secretions when trying to wean them from a ventilator.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Did someone say air pump and exhaust etc? Just watch this.

Small obstructions make ZERO difference. Same with big obstructions. This is turning into a total joke.

See those bashed up headers? They made more power than before they were hammered.

The following 2 users liked this post by BLKROKT:
Mazspeed (08-23-2016), thesaintusa (08-23-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Small obstructions make ZERO difference. Same with big obstructions. This is turning into a total joke.

See those bashed up headers? They made more power than before they were hammered.

Exhaust Header Bash! Testing Power Loss From Dents - Engine Masters Ep. 4 - YouTube
You should join a Formula 1 team, you clearly know how to make big power.
BLKROKT (08-23-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 10:20 PM

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2019 911 GTS / 2016 X3 / 2015 E63s / 1993 RX-7

Exhaust Header Bash! Testing Power Loss From Dents - Engine Masters Ep. 4 - YouTube
Impressive.

Guess I should save $ and not get mandrel bent piping. Good to know!

But impressive.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,587 Likes on 935 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Wonder if their intake filter got in the way of air flow?
BLKROKT (08-23-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You should join a Formula 1 team, you clearly know how to make big power.
Hey whatever man, I'm not a 'professional' like you. But at least I have common sense and integrity, and don't rip people off. Which is exactly what's going on with this bull**** thread and the one about Royal Purple and the one about octane booster. Quite the company you guys are keeping. Next thing you know you'll be telling us to put electric turbocharging fans in my intake for even more power. If only I could be smart like you.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey whatever man, I'm not a 'professional' like you. But at least I have common sense and integrity, and don't rip people off. Which is exactly what's going on with this bull**** thread and the one about Royal Purple and the one about octane booster. Quite the company you guys are keeping. Next thing you know you'll be telling us to put electric turbocharging fans in my intake for even more power. If only I could be smart like you.
I think you're confused about how integrity works. I've posted 100 percent facts in this thread. I've even pointed out that every cars different and this is just how one particular car responded. You're the one that's acting like an expert having never done one bit of testing. Know ones claiming every car you bolts this onto is going to see identical gains, in fact I've already stated I'll post up more testing as I have the opportunity to do so. I came on here to provide actual data that I've seen on a product and I'm the one that's been basically called a liar and a fraud. I don't even make the product, ever heard of not shooting the messenger? No one's forcing anyone to purchase this product, nor am I attempting in anyway to mislead anyone.
billvp218 (04-14-2019)
Old 08-23-2016, 10:50 PM

You may want to actually read what I've written. I've now posted multiple times that the car had brand new AFE filter. Believe it or not, I've been modding and building cars for quite along time. We were all just as surprised with the power gains on that car, nonetheless, it's what happened.
You said that the only thing you changed was the spacer and the filters set-up. And yes I do read what you write.
I have been modding cars and racing them for 25 years. What does that have to do with it at this point? Your gains were not from a stupid 3/4 inch spacer. It's not. Period!
BLKROKT (08-23-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You said that the only thing you changed was the spacer and the filters set-up. And yes I do read what you write.
I have been modding cars and racing them for 25 years. What does that have to do with it at this point? Your gains were not from a stupid 3/4 inch spacer. It's not. Period!
All I've done is provide you the data and what was done to the car. You don't want to believe it was the spacers/filters, that's fine. You've tried to blame the dyno results and the air filters, at this point you're grasping at straws. This is simply what happened. I must be setting some kind of record this week for having my integrity questioned. Just to be clear, the idea that Royal Purple will drop your oil temps 30 degrees is retarded.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:04 PM

I think you're confused about how integrity works. I've posted 100 percent facts in this thread. I've even pointed out that every cars different and this is just how one particular car responded. You're the one that's acting like an expert having never done one bit of testing. Know ones claiming every car you bolts this onto is going to see identical gains, in fact I've already stated I'll post up more testing as I have the opportunity to do so. I came on here to provide actual data that I've seen on a product and I'm the one that's been basically called a liar and a fraud. I don't even make the product, ever heard of not shooting the messenger? No one's forcing anyone to purchase this product, nor am I attempting in anyway to mislead anyone.

You have not posted 100 facts to this thread at all. In fact the only thing you have posted is that you believe the gains on your dyno were caused by an intake spacer. In fact that's not even a fact. That's your OPINION. You saw dyno gains that could be attributed to many things.
If I was you, before you come into this forum, you should do a bunch more tests to see what that is.
I am not nor will I call you a liar. What I am saying is that there is something else going on here that you may not be able to explain. Because as I can tell. AMG or Mercedes would use this on their race cars, or stock cars with higher HP like, well anything that came with this engine. From what I can tell no other car came with this. None of that has anything to do with you. Again there is something else at play here.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:09 PM

All I've done is provide you the data and what was done to the car. You don't want to believe it was the spacers/filters, that's fine. You've tried to blame the dyno results and the air filters, at this point you're grasping at straws. This is simply what happened. I must be setting some kind of record this week for having my integrity questioned. Just to be clear, the idea that Royal Purple will drop your oil temps 30 degrees is retarded.
You're correct. I don't. I would have done much more testing on this product to see why or to make sure that was what was doing the HP increase. Because technically it can't.
The only thing I would ever say to you as that you didn't do enough testing to see why this is.
Many dyno runs with and without. One set of dyno runs is a decent baseline. When I am having my stuff dynoed, we do it for tuning, port matching, longer-shorter intake runners, exhaust changes, intake changes and on and on and on. This takes many hours and sometimes days.
I don't know how many hours you spent on this, but if I saw gains like that from a filter and spacer set-up, my first thought is filter, then do many tests from there with those set-ups.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You have not posted 100 facts to this thread at all. In fact the only thing you have posted is that you believe the gains on your dyno were caused by an intake spacer. In fact that's not even a fact. That's your OPINION. You saw dyno gains that could be attributed to many things.
If I was you, before you come into this forum, you should do a bunch more tests to see what that is.
I am not nor will I call you a liar. What I am saying is that there is something else going on here that you may not be able to explain. Because as I can tell. AMG or Mercedes would use this on their race cars, or stock cars with higher HP like, well anything that came with this engine. From what I can tell no other car came with this. None of that has anything to do with you. Again there is something else at play here.
All I've stated are facts, I haven't even posted my own opinion about the spacers/filters. I've told you what we did and what the outcome was, those are known as facts. Simply because you don't like them doesn't make them any less true. I don't know why you insist on misstating what I've written to try and make it as if I'm trying to convince anyone to buy these. All I've ever written on this subject is what actually happened and I've offered to post up future dyno results as we have the opportunity to test more.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: M156 UPD Intake Spacer Review