Sponsored by:

285's do fit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 12:29 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
2017 c63 Amg s (almost)
285's do fit

To answer the question that always gets asked but never seems to get a proper answer:
285/35/19 will fit just fine with no rubbing in the rear on the sedans. Had mine on for a few days and no issues. That's stock wheel size, stock offset.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:17 PM

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Polar White C43 Sedan
It's crazy that a 500hp car doesn't come this way from the factory.

Those Germans......
Old 01-18-2017, 02:22 PM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
2018 750i Msport, 2018 Range Rover Autobiography, 2019 C63, 2017 F Type R
I am currently at discount tire getting a set of 285/35/19 mounted as well I will update with pictures when the car is done of the fitment.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 178 Likes on 143 Posts
Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
Originally Posted by Bueller178
It's crazy that a 500hp car doesn't come this way from the factory.
Those Germans......
If you think Mercedes and AMG didn't slap on 285's because they are "crazy" think again. I'm no engineer, but with thicker tires in back, i think some of the down sides are that tires will be more expensive to replace, you may have "too" much grip in the back which would result in worsened understeer characteristics at the limit (but better straight line performance), and obviously fuel economy (which the consumers obviously don't care about, but Mercedes has to, due to regulations), and increased road noise.

Glad to see someone giving some straight facts on the board for future reference, thanks! When it comes time to replace my rears I'll probably look into 285's... Gotta love the fat tire look...

OP can you post some pictures from the side and back?

​​​
Old 01-18-2017, 02:45 PM

2017 c63 Amg s (almost)
Originally Posted by skim7x
If you think Mercedes and AMG didn't slap on 285's because they are "crazy" think again. I'm no engineer, but with thicker tires in back, i think some of the down sides are that tires will be more expensive to replace, you may have "too" much grip in the back which would result in worsened understeer characteristics at the limit (but better straight line performance), and obviously fuel economy (which the consumers obviously don't care about, but Mercedes has to, due to regulations), and increased road noise.

Glad to see someone giving some straight facts on the board for future reference, thanks! When it comes time to replace my rears I'll probably look into 285's... Gotta love the fat tire look...

​​​
I don't have the chance to do a lot of cornering and it rains a ton here so fatter tires and all seasons had to happen. Especially since I daily drive mine.

I will try to get some pictures up tomorrow morning when it's light again.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:29 PM

​​​
Don't want to thread jack but I'll share mine that just got mounted. Tires are Bridgestone RE-71R and the rear wheel is a 19x9.5 et45 so pretty close to stock.

The following users liked this post:
AMGTown (01-18-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 03:43 PM

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
AMG C63S
I came on here today to find out just how big I can go when I hit a pothole on I95 and my front passenger tire sidewall got cut in half. These run flat, low profile sidewalls are not meant for NY driving. I am pretty careful but, I knew the second I hit it that something bad happened. Then the yellow warning light, then the overhead illustration with front tire red showing 0 pressure. Off to mavis tire I went.

I ended up buying a cheap ($200) tire to get me by but, come spring its time to make the change and I am researching now. So...

Can the 285's fit on the rear with no spacers no nothing on stock rims? If so then if it can be confirmed that 265's can fit on the front, we could keep the same factory geometry of the rears being 20 larger than the front.

Lets get this riddle solved once and for all. AND..what tire to choose...
Old 01-18-2017, 04:56 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 C63S AMG
Originally Posted by black63s
Don't want to thread jack but I'll share mine that just got mounted. Tires are Bridgestone RE-71R and the rear wheel is a 19x9.5 et45 so pretty close to stock.

Hows grip? Are you able to use race start with little to no wheel spin? Also does having wider rears cause any issues with the computer since they are a different size height wise than stock.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Modio1234
Hows grip? Are you able to use race start with little to no wheel spin? Also does having wider rears cause any issues with the computer since they are a different size height wise than stock.
The grip is nuts race start actually works and the car moves out. From 20 mph with traction control completely off the car does not spin at all going WOT. The computer has had no issues with the size of the tire I am a little bit worried that my springs are no longer going to be able to go on the car.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 178 Likes on 143 Posts
Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
And can you guys confirm no rubbing issues even when going over bumps/pot holes in Sport/Sport+/Race when the car is at its lowest ride height? Would suck to have the tire hit the fender going over a bad pot hole in Race setting...

I had to live up in NJ with a lowered car and probably broke 3 aftermarket rims and couldn't STAND aftermarket coilovers on the car... Was too much to handle... I admire anyone who does aftermarket suspension/tires/wheels in NJ/NY... What a pain... I had made the switch from rft's to non-rft's and what a pain in the *** it was being stranded waiting for a tow truck and getting all that sorted out...
Old 01-18-2017, 05:45 PM

2017 c63 Amg s (almost)
And can you guys confirm no rubbing issues even when going over bumps/pot holes in Sport/Sport+/Race when the car is at its lowest ride height? Would suck to have the tire hit the fender going over a bad pot hole in Race setting...

I had to live up in NJ with a lowered car and probably broke 3 aftermarket rims and couldn't STAND aftermarket coilovers on the car... Was too much to handle... I admire anyone who does aftermarket suspension/tires/wheels in NJ/NY... What a pain... I had made the switch from rft's to non-rft's and what a pain in the *** it was being stranded waiting for a tow truck and getting all that sorted out...
no rubbing at all. Trust me, my car gets put to the test. I drive in Seattle everyday and the roads here are terrible. People love their old roads in Seattle and I'm constantly hitting cobblestone, potholes, torn up roads from construction. I have had no issues.