SL/R231: My SL63 with some mods

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 12:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder / 2019 BMW X5 M Sport
My SL63 with some mods

Hey guys,

I have done a few things since picking up my SL63 2 weeks ago.

Here is the list of mods.
  • Smoked headlight film to cover ugly orange reflector
  • Smoked taillight film just over the white turn signals
  • 50% tint on windshield (20% all around was already done)
  • Lowered with Links from Eurocharged
  • 20" Modulare Forged B31
  • that's all for now... not future plans either.
Here are some pics...

Attached Thumbnails My SL63 with some mods-img_7519.jpg   My SL63 with some mods-img_7524.jpg   My SL63 with some mods-img_7529.jpg   My SL63 with some mods-img_7569.jpg   My SL63 with some mods-img_7581.jpg  

My SL63 with some mods-img_7586.jpg   My SL63 with some mods-img_7585.jpg   My SL63 with some mods-img_7582.jpg  

Last edited by Slammed63; 06-15-2017 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,229 Likes on 2,010 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Looks great! Am no fan of the blacked out part of the headlight though.
You should be able to find the Euro ones cheap on German Ebay.

Also, the offsets on the new wheels seem too high (as are the original AMG ones). I used spacers front/rear.

I would have somebody film the car when driving at hwy. speed to see how low you roll as the car lowers further at speed.

Last edited by Wolfman; 06-15-2017 at 04:18 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:28 PM

Wolfman! You seem to be the only active member in the 231 section haha! I can always count on you for a comment/help! Thank you!

Ya, I looked online and couldn't find them but I would be nervous as the connections may not be the same and then I would have headlights for which I have no use. at that point, I would take the chance and open them up myself and just make sure to do a proper job of sealing them up.

Well...the story with these wheels are that these were on my previous 2010 Audi R8. I had the center bored out to fix the SL and I am actually running a 15mm spacer up front and it still needs another 5 or 10mm for sure. But the rear is definitely not too high. Its actually sticking out a little more than I would like and that is because I had to put a 5mm spacer in order for the inside of the tire not to touch the fender liner. It would be perfectly flush without that 5mm but it rubs without it, so I have to use the 5mm back there.

I am planning to change the front to either a 20 or 25mm nonetheless.

Does it? I actually found the Vehicle Level setting which lowers and raises the car, I didn't realize I had this option. What a great thing when you want to go in and out of steep driveways or underground parking etc. Can the car be raised at highway speeds too? or just below a certain speed?
Old 06-16-2017, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Slammed63
Wolfman! You seem to be the only active member in the 231 section haha! I can always count on you for a comment/help! Thank you!

Ya, I looked online and couldn't find them but I would be nervous as the connections may not be the same and then I would have headlights for which I have no use. at that point, I would take the chance and open them up myself and just make sure to do a proper job of sealing them up.

Well...the story with these wheels are that these were on my previous 2010 Audi R8. I had the center bored out to fix the SL and I am actually running a 15mm spacer up front and it still needs another 5 or 10mm for sure. But the rear is definitely not too high. Its actually sticking out a little more than I would like and that is because I had to put a 5mm spacer in order for the inside of the tire not to touch the fender liner. It would be perfectly flush without that 5mm but it rubs without it, so I have to use the 5mm back there.

I am planning to change the front to either a 20 or 25mm nonetheless.

Does it? I actually found the Vehicle Level setting which lowers and raises the car, I didn't realize I had this option. What a great thing when you want to go in and out of steep driveways or underground parking etc. Can the car be raised at highway speeds too? or just below a certain speed?
Happy to help

The connections are the same. Here is a link with the part numbers. I would just check from time to time to see if some cheap headlights show up on Ebay...
https://xenon24.com/de/mercedes-benz...nd-rechts.html

Re. ABC, besides the ability to raise the car manually, it also lowers the car automatically at speed. Just pull up the ABC screen on the comand and watch the height indicator (on the left) as you drive - see pic.

Max. lowering occurs at something like 80mph.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Wolfman
Happy to help

The connections are the same. Here is a link with the part numbers. I would just check from time to time to see if some cheap headlights show up on Ebay...
https://xenon24.com/de/mercedes-benz...nd-rechts.html

Re. ABC, besides the ability to raise the car manually, it also lowers the car automatically at speed. Just pull up the ABC screen on the comand and watch the height indicator (on the left) as you drive - see pic.

Max. lowering occurs at something like 80mph.
You have a 17 right? My screen looks nothing like that. You know because you've had the previous year models with the older system. Is there a way to adjust that it always stay a certain height?
Old 06-17-2017, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

You have a 17 right? My screen looks nothing like that. You know because you've had the previous year models with the older system. Is there a way to adjust that it always stay a certain height?
True, forgot about how old screen looked but yours shows the exact same info on the inidicator on the left side.
But to answer your question, there is no way to make any adjustments to the ride height behavior...
Old 06-19-2017, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Wolfman
True, forgot about how old screen looked but yours shows the exact same info on the inidicator on the left side.
But to answer your question, there is no way to make any adjustments to the ride height behavior...

Sorry, which indicator on the left side?
Old 06-19-2017, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry, which indicator on the left side?
Yours should somewhat look like this. I highlighted the height indicator. Just switch to that screen and then drive...

When the car is raised, the indicator should sit at HI
Normal drive position should be sitting at 0
When driving hwy. speed you will see the indicator move towards LOW which will be the max drop of the car. That is based on speed, of course. Go 130km/h to see that.