GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

GL Purchase questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500 Wagon, 2000 E320 Wagon, 1963 VW Beetle
GL Purchase questions

Hey everyone, I am hoping someone on here can help me.
I am looking to replace my 2000 E320 Wagon, and I want to get a GL.
The question I have is are they all expensive to work on? I have had very little issues with my wagon, and I need a newer car with less miles, as we travel a lot.
I like the size of the GL, and I need something to be able to easily tow my 63 Beetle.
I am aware of the Air ride issues, and would change to regular shocks.
What other problems are they known for, and overall are they fairly reliable. I don't have real deep pockets, so I'm budgeted for a 2007-2009.
I know about first Generation issues, so is the 08 a better idea? Also what motor should I go for the 450, or the 550?

I just want something that I can trust to jump in and go on a long road trip with, without any problems.

I'm also considering going with an ML instead but I'm just not sure what to do.
I don't want to go broke owning anything.

I know I want my next vehicle to be a Mercedes, but that's about it.

Can someone please help me?
Thank you
Old 04-05-2018, 10:06 AM

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts
2008 E63 wagon (1 of 62)
Anything can be expensive and purchasing a pre-owned car is always a crap-shoot. Sometimes you find the golden egg and sometimes you get the wool pulled over your eyes. The later (2010-2012) GL (X164) had relatively few issues.. You already know about the air suspension from the looks of it. As for the size difference in the ML and GL, it really comes down to how much room you want/need inside the vehicle. If you have people/kids that you are toting around relatively often and especially on road trips, I would recommend the extra room in the GL.. As for the differences in the 450 and 550, generally it comes down to what options you want.. The 450 is more often a base model with fewer options, while the 550 is more often pretty loaded out with options. Some people will recommend the bluetec diesel, but with the engine issues I have seen over the past many years, I would suggest against that option.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:48 AM

Thanks for the info. I definitely want the GL, for the extra space and the ability to haul more. We travel a lot and bring our camping gear with us everywhere. I just know how cramped my dad's ML can get versus their E Class Wagon. I just don't know if I want the 450, or the 550.
Is there a big difference in performance between the 450s V8 to the 550s?
Thanks for the info on the Diesel too, I was wondering about that.
Is there any other repair/maintenance issue I should be aware of regarding the GL?
Are they fairly easy to work on?

Thanks for all of your help.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 593 Likes on 499 Posts
2007 GL450
>I want my next vehicle to be a Mercedes
>I don't have deep pockets
>I don't want to go broke
>I just want something that I can trust to jump in and go on a long road trip with, without any problems

Welp.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:30 PM

No that's not what I meant, sorry to sound difficult. I was simply asking which one is more problematic, and If I should go GL or ML. I have had very little issues with my Eclass and I can just jump in it and go anywhere. I grew up with Mercedes so I know the quality and they can be expensive to repair. But like anything some can cost more than others. I just don't have any experience with a GL, and I know people on here are knowledgeable about them. I was just trying to get more information before I purchased one. I just wanted some advice on to which way I should go.
That's all, I was just looking for some help. I wasn't trying to be difficult.
Just never owned a GL and wanted to know more about them from other owners perspectives.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:11 PM

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts
2008 E63 wagon (1 of 62)
The GL can wear out tires faster than the ML.. I truely dislike Pirelli tires and they seem to always wear prematurely on those vehicles. Once you get the vehicle, make sure the alignment is good. About the engine, the 450 and 550 are the same engine.. It's how they tuned it from the factory to give it less power output, and thats why the different number badges. I've driven and worked on hundreds of GLs and they are some of the most comfortable out there. There are occasional issues with transfer cases, but in all honesty not much goes wrong with them. Every car will have oil leaks over time. Every car will wear out suspension bushings, sway bar links or air suspension.

Just make sure all of the maintenance is up to date and just enjoy driving it.. Oil change, transmission service, transfer case and differential fluid exchanges, brake fluid flush with good/fresh fluid, some new air filters and spark plugs (depending on mileage of course).. I just always think of doing maintenance early as cheap insurance..
Old 04-05-2018, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 593 Likes on 499 Posts
2007 GL450
Originally Posted by dubski63
No that's not what I meant, sorry to sound difficult. I was simply asking which one is more problematic, and If I should go GL or ML. I have had very little issues with my Eclass and I can just jump in it and go anywhere. I grew up with Mercedes so I know the quality and they can be expensive to repair. But like anything some can cost more than others. I just don't have any experience with a GL, and I know people on here are knowledgeable about them. I was just trying to get more information before I purchased one. I just wanted some advice on to which way I should go.
That's all, I was just looking for some help. I wasn't trying to be difficult.
Just never owned a GL and wanted to know more about them from other owners perspectives.
Didn't mean to harsh on your buzz.
They're fine vehicles, but with a fair number of endemic problems that will drive you crazy and/or to the poorhouse if you don't (a) have a general level of comfort with the nature of internal combustion engines in motor vehicles, (b) have a reliable independent mechanic, and (c) have a strong will to live.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:33 PM

Received 105 Likes on 72 Posts
2011 GL 350, P1 Package, HID headlamps, Blind spot assist, Parktronic, Wood steering wheel
If you are on a budget, and not using your GL for towing, then avoid the diesel GL 350 at all costs. Waaay too many expensive problems with the diesel motor.

I would not recommend swapping out the air shocks for traditional shocks on any GL - if your air shocks do die, replace them with Arnott and then you have a lifetime warranty and you get a factory ride, which is pretty good.

The later the model of X164 you can get, the more likely the kinks are to be worked out...
Old 04-06-2018, 07:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,069 Likes on 857 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
The 450 and 550 engines are different in the 164 GL but are the same in the 166 GL. Both are good engines, the 450 will get slightly better mileage but the 550 will give you the extra torque for better driveability. From what I've read, the difference in 0-60 between the 550 and 450 is around .7 seconds.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 Mercedes GL450
Worst vehicle I’ve ever owned. I had a 2011 GL and it was awful. Had to buy a spare vehicle just to use when the GL was in the shop.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:35 AM

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts
2019 Audi Q8, 2017 Porsche Cayenne S, 2015 GL63, & 2005 E500W4
I would get the GL450 or GL550 that meets your standards for a pre-owned car (do your due diligence). I would also try to set aside $1-2k per year for maintenance and repairs. My 2010 GL450 costs more to maintain than my W211 E500W4, but it's a larger car that gets more use. These are great cars and I think you would enjoy owning one.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Sorry, but in the years op is suggesting, 450 and 550 are indeed different engines. Same M273 but 450 is 4.7 liter and 550 is indeed 5.5 liters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_M273_engine

The 550 will have more masculine styling, including larger grille and fender flares and probably larger,more expensive tires. It is a real powerhouse; 450 power is entirely adequate. Much higher insurance cost too, I imagine.

I've owned my 2007 diesel since new and it’s been very reliable, maybe an oil leak and water pump. Zero airmatic problems, one leaking rear conventional shock replaced. Diesel power is more than adequate, and my city mileage is same as 450 highway mileage.

if you want to tow, make sure the GL you find has factory fitted hitch (or previously dealer retrofitted). Adding the hitch later is basically a nightmare.

imho it would be a foolish step to “replace” the Oe suspension. For me that would reduce resale value to zero and you won’t like it in any event. Beware of independent, cheap Mercedes solutions ... there are no aftermarket vendors up to Mercedes ability. Demand for this is very limited.

on the earliest GL look for transmission problems— they may need to be thoroughly warmed up before they appear.

The quickest clue to whether a GL has HID versus conventional headlights is presence of headlight washers on front bumper, a German legal requirement with hid. No dealer anywhere will have ordered this option with conventional lighting.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:37 AM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
BMW 335d
I don't think either GL is a good choice for anyone worried about overall reliability and cost of maintenance/repairs. Doing your own repairs can help a lot, but a Toyota/Lexus would be a much better buy. If you MUST have the GL, I think you're better off finding a used one private party sale from someone thats already fixed the common problems (ps rack leaks, airmatic, a/c compressor).
Old 06-27-2024, 10:56 AM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Mercedes gl450
Thanks for the info. I definitely want the GL, for the extra space and the ability to haul more. We travel a lot and bring our camping gear with us everywhere. I just know how cramped my dad's ML can get versus their E Class Wagon. I just don't know if I want the 450, or the 550.
Is there a big difference in performance between the 450s V8 to the 550s?
Thanks for the info on the Diesel too, I was wondering about that.
Is there any other repair/maintenance issue I should be aware of regarding the GL?
Are they fairly easy to work on?

Thanks for all of your help.
I have the 450 and it is plenty powerful. It also isn't lacking in options. It's 2011. The only option I can think of that I wanted and it didn't have was xenon lights. But, I replaced all the non-LEDs with LEDs anyway. But mine is fairly optioned out.
As for the 550, you certainly don't need it for power. Also, the options that were standard on the 550 when new - and added to its price - often become free, or close to it, when they are on a used 450 - especially when talking about 2008 - 2012 models.

I bought my 2011 450 in 2022 with reasonable mileage - 79k. It was a single owner and dealer maintained. Other than normal maintenance, my only issues have been an alternator replacement and, now, a leaking front shock. No issues with the air suspension.

One somewhat common issue I have heard about (but haven't experienced) is the rear SAM blowing out due to water leaks from the rear sunroof or hatch seals. Make sure to check the area around the SAM for evidence of water leakage and/or recent repairs. Also, the battery area under the front passenger seat.
Old 06-27-2024, 11:45 AM

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts
1998 SL500,2011 GL550,2009 ML350,past 1995 E320 Cabrio ,2005 ML500,2006 ML500,1996 SL500,1972 280SEL
W210 wagon vs GL

Well since we had had 5 210 wagons and 2 GL’s, 3ML’s.. I am in a good spot to advise or at least tell you a few experiences. First IMO and many others the W210 E320 is one of the best MB’s ever designed. To get 26-28 MPG with just about zero headaches in a beautiful handling car in dry, wet or snow!
Then comes the SUV’s first I tow a Dog trailer and hunt all over the place putting on thousands of miles… The 7 speed will never ever be as reliable as the older 5 speed.
2nd the air suspension is the only way to go to handle these heavy beast plus the spring ride is not trouble free.
3rd IMO stay away from the turbo motors.
4th For towing by specs the diesel on paper is great BUT it is not setup like a Sprinter van with the oil cooler on the outside of the engine NO MB out it in the valley under the manifold … Horrible design and nothing but leaking trouble .
5th 450 vs 550… both of my GL’s have been 550’s
I personally like the 500’s and have had them in SL’s and ML’s.. much more trouble free.
6th if you are sold on a GL-164 I would buy the lowest mileage one I could find ( just bought a few months ago with 75k miles)… still had a bunch of stuff to do but totally rust free and solid front end steering components and joints.
7th good luck and we are here to help with what we can! Be prepared to buy a good OBDII analyzer and more.
8th transmissions … I would buy a 2011-2012 and definitely stay away from 2007-2008… also read up about Vin numbers and what engines to stay away from in certain years because of non hardened parts… Mercedes is not the Built in Germany company it once was!!!

Last edited by vesiadog; 06-27-2024 at 12:14 PM. Reason: wording
The following users liked this post:
01blackhawk (06-29-2024)
Old Today, 06:54 AM

2008 GL550
I have GL450 and happy with.
Old Today, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,069 Likes on 857 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Loved my GL until it started leaking like a sieve. Mechanically, it was one of if not the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned but was totaled by water intrusion. If you can afford it, I recommend going to the later bi-turbo V6 X166. Avoid the 2013/14 GL450 and all 550's as the engines have a high rate of failure do to a cylinder coating they used. If you do buy an early 450 or 550, put aside money to have the engine sleeved.
Old Today, 09:34 AM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
2012 gl450
I have a 2012 GL 450 overall they are really good trucks solid rides quite impressive machine
Old Today, 10:51 AM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Mercedes gl450
Hey everyone, I am hoping someone on here can help me.
I am looking to replace my 2000 E320 Wagon, and I want to get a GL.
The question I have is are they all expensive to work on? I have had very little issues with my wagon, and I need a newer car with less miles, as we travel a lot.
I like the size of the GL, and I need something to be able to easily tow my 63 Beetle.
I am aware of the Air ride issues, and would change to regular shocks.
What other problems are they known for, and overall are they fairly reliable. I don't have real deep pockets, so I'm budgeted for a 2007-2009.
I know about first Generation issues, so is the 08 a better idea? Also what motor should I go for the 450, or the 550?

I just want something that I can trust to jump in and go on a long road trip with, without any problems.

I'm also considering going with an ML instead but I'm just not sure what to do.
I don't want to go broke owning anything.

I know I want my next vehicle to be a Mercedes, but that's about it.

Can someone please help me?
Thank you
First, it's important to remember that a great deal of the time, people post here because their vehicle has a problem, or is a problem vehicle. This gives the false impression that the GL's (and MB's in general) are problem vehicles. However, if you look at the incident tracking information, you see that even the least reliable vehicle models on the road are not nearly as problematic as sites such as this will lead you to believe.

That said, an MB, like any luxury branded vehicle, is going to be more expensive than average to repair. First, simply because of the brand name and second because they are more complex than the average car. A third factor is, it seems MB and other luxury brands go out of their way to design the vehicles with the idea that their type of buyer is able and willing to pay more for ordinary repairs/maintenance. Maybe that's why the GL's air filters are inaccessible without removing an engine compartment brace.

The "if you have airmatic, it will fail" and "your rear SAM will roast due to water leaks" are both over-exaggerations and far from givens. Why spend the money to replace the airmatic because someday it might fail? You would be in effect paying in advance for a repair that was never needed, plus lose all the benefits the airmatic provides. Sure, some people (even mechanics) will get on here and tell you about how many airmatics they have had to replace on GL's. So? What percentage of the GL population have they worked on?

My 14 year old GL with about 148,000 miles on it just recently experienced an airmatic shock seal leak. I had the two front assemblies replaced with quality parts by an independent for $1,000. I hardly consider that a "problem" on a 14 year old vehicle. Other than that, I have had no significant repairs.

My advice is buy one with age reasonable miles. Very low mileage may suggest the owner felt the vehicle was unreliable, it has a lot of issues, or it simply wasn't driven enough to keep it in proper working order.

These car enthusiast sites can get you paranoid.