E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Remove RWD on 2004 4matic E320 wagon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E320 4Matic Wagon V6
Remove RWD on 2004 4matic E320 wagon

It seems I have an issue with the rear differential, it's vibrating more and more every day especially when turning. Sounds like it's going to break soon.
I don't really care about the all wheel drive and am thinking of removing everything to the rear of the transfer case and perhaps the rear driveshafts as well instead of spending thousands.
I can do the mechanical work myself.

Any technical reason why this wouldn't work??

Thanks...
Old 07-17-2019, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 660 Likes on 477 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
What seals will need to be accomodated in the driveshaft/axle/transfer case absence? Can the transmission support itself without the transfer case?
Is the front half of the drivetrain built to withstand all the torque the engine/transmission can put out or is it engineered to use only some of it? You're well on the way to finding out. Let us know how it goes!
Old 07-17-2019, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E320 4Matic Wagon V6
Originally Posted by rapidoxidation
What seals will need to be accomodated in the driveshaft/axle/transfer case absence? Can the transmission support itself without the transfer case?
Is the front half of the drivetrain built to withstand all the torque the engine/transmission can put out or is it engineered to use only some of it? You're well on the way to finding out. Let us know how it goes!
Thanks for the good questions! The torque question is really good. I'm pretty sure the not-oem 3 year old front drive shaft that was replaced when the previous one broke is suspect as well but that's easy to replace.

I was thinking of leaving the transfer case in place and just let the short output shaft of it spin removing the rubber interface to the rear drive shaft, the rear drive shaft itself and the back rubber interface to the differential.
If I remove the rear drive shafts I would likely modify rear boots to seal off whatever joints are there.

I'm going to get under it (again) in the next week or so and pull that rear rubber joint to do some isolation testing of the rear differential/driveshafts.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 333 Posts
C320
A front wheel drive W211 wagon. This I have to see.

Your symptoms sound like your transfer case is failing, not the diff.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
E
What an absolute hack job that would be. Junk the car if you’re unwilling to actually fix it. It’s worth nothing but scrap metal if you hack it up like you’re saying.

pay someone to diagnose the issue if it’s proving difficult...if they send you a big repair list just decline and say you’ll junk the car, pay them for the diagnosis time then fix it yourself properly.

not to mention you’re now endangering others on the road. How will the ABS and traction control change? Sounds like an absolute nightmare. I wouldn’t want to be near you in the rain.

Last edited by ps2cho; 07-18-2019 at 11:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
2MERKS (07-18-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 02:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
MB are design as RWD cars and 4Matics transfer like 40% of torque to front. So even if you change the gears to make it working, the reliability will suffer.
Now about changing the gears. If you just disconnect rear driveshaft- the car will not go anywhere since it is non-lockable transfer case.
If you weld the rear shaft, the car will have double the original gearing, what will bring driveability issues.
Don't think it is doable.