S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Drivers Assistance Package

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2022, 01:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S550 W221
Drivers Assistance Package

Hi guys. I am researching on buying a W222. Are there any differences between the drivers assistance package in terms of improvements over the years? Specifically 2014 vs 2015 vs 2016 vs 2017 vs 2018 years?

Thank you
Old 04-20-2022, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,704 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2019 C63CS
Yes. Don't know specifically about individual model years, but there are generational improvements between the PFL and FL models for example. All the assistance systems are continuously being improved and as opposed to Tesla, MB doesn't make those improvements available as OTA updates for existing cars. I'm sure there are software improvements from year to year, but at least there are improvements during the FL. MB has been introducing the latest systems with the S Class and then trickle it down to the other models. The W223 has the latest generation and the FL W222 is one generation down. I have the same system in my FL C63 and it's noticeably improved over the previous generation. There's perhaps too much to go into in terms of individual improvements, but overall the newer generation systems just work a lot better.
Old 04-20-2022, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 329 Likes on 243 Posts
2016 S550, 2015 Honda Civic Hybrid
Good question ... all the cars have a "Driver Assistance" package, but who knows the fine details of each component in each model year ...
Old 04-20-2022, 06:24 PM

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
2015 S550 4Matic, 2014 ML550
Try this:
S-Class Quick Reference Guides
Old 04-21-2022, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 654 Likes on 485 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
Things tend to get better with each model year for tech....
Old 04-21-2022, 03:52 PM

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts
2016 S550e, 2005 Nissan Xterra 4x4, 1984 300ZX
I cannot get to the site you posed C Swenson, I tried to sign up for an account and was denied told it was for members of the media. For the original poster, I have a 2016 S Sedan with all driver assistance package. The distronic cruise control works fantastic, better than my wife's 2021 Nissan Leaf (only comparison I can make directly) but the lane keep is not nearly as good as the Leaf's Nissan Pro Pilot. While Tesla is probably the best right now they are getting bashed pretty hard even TV commericals asking congress to get them to shut it down due to issues.

Old 04-21-2022, 04:05 PM

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
2015 S550 4Matic, 2014 ML550
Originally Posted by badq45t
I cannot get to the site you posed C Swenson, I tried to sign up for an account and was denied told it was for members of the media.
Sorry you're having trouble. I click on the link I made and it takes me to the site. I don't have an account for that site and I'm not a member of the media.

If you want to try copying and pasting into your browser the address is:
https://media.mbusa.com/channels/cha...8e2300cd4d-qrg
Old 04-21-2022, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
I cannot get to the site you posed C Swenson, I tried to sign up for an account and was denied told it was for members of the media. For the original poster, I have a 2016 S Sedan with all driver assistance package. The distronic cruise control works fantastic, better than my wife's 2021 Nissan Leaf (only comparison I can make directly) but the lane keep is not nearly as good as the Leaf's Nissan Pro Pilot. While Tesla is probably the best right now they are getting bashed pretty hard even TV commericals asking congress to get them to shut it down due to issues.
Tesla Autopilot is in my opinion overhyped and the upgraded so-called beta full self-driving is a rip off and alpha at best. I prefer the MB system in my 2019. MB separates lane keep assist from active steering assist. Both can independently be turned on and off. I keep lane keep assist turned off, because I really don't need any help staying in my lane, but I use active steering assist. The latter is only active when DISTRONIC is active and steers the car at pretty much all speeds. It doesn't steer as precisely as Autopilot, but MB does that on purpose to force the driver to pay attention instead of falling asleep like in many of those Tesla videos. Autopilot also has well documented phantom braking issues, slamming on the brakes for absolutely nothing and it continuous to be an issue, and it constantly deactivates the moment you make a manual steering correction and then you have to reactivate it again. There's also the constant bim bim, bim bim whenever it drops in and out. Gets annoying after a while. The latest MB systems (mine included) even have the capability to automatically change lanes on the highway just like Autopilot. All you have to do is signal and if the adjacent lane is free, the car accelerates and changes lanes. I don't think the previous generation system has that capability. The newer MB systems really work well for stop&go traffic and long distance highway cruising which is when I use it generally.

Last edited by superswiss; 04-21-2022 at 04:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Quenthel (04-21-2022)
Old 04-22-2022, 09:38 AM

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
2015 MB S550 & 2020 MB GLS 450
Originally Posted by C Swenson
I had no trouble with this site. Just clicked and it opened the list of Guides, and could click to open the individual Guides. Interesting summary info. Thanks for the link.
Old 04-22-2022, 07:27 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
W222 400D 4-matic
I had a W221 and now a FL W222. One of the first FL. It came without Active Lane Change Assist, wich ive read, comes with some really, really scary affects. Like abrubtly steering to avoid a non-excisting obstical. So im glad it isnt ecuiped with. Mine has the Distronic Plus (code 233) /active lane assist (DTR-Q?), stop and go with "extended traffic jam function" (K33) and Active Speed Adjusting when following a a planned route (code K34) in the Comand route navigation. The latter wasnt available on the W221. And was one of the reasong i wnt foir this package.
Noticely better than the W221 is when someone pulls in front of you after he/she has passed you and pulls quite early to the right, just about hitting you fron bumperlip. The W221 slightly went off-throtlle if this happened. Thats gone. Is sees also better throughout the vehicle in front of you better. So if a trafficjam is ahead of the car in front of thát car, so quite ahead, it sees that allready and gently decellerates in a gently matter. IOW is sees the trafficjam allready, even if its not quite as obvious for you as a driver. Bought the car with outdated maps and updating those improved the suddon and with no obvious reason braking, significly. But at random, it sytem sees "danger" of some sort and goes off-throtlle or brakes. With absoluto no reason. Tipping the pedal overules that decission and it accelerates to the previous set speed. But honestly, its scary sometimes. The brakelight come on and cars behind me think i brake in the middle of the highway with no reason at all..

The butttons on the steeringwheel are now common. I absolutely hate them and the sublime stock-type cruisecontrol was thé best system ever made in my opnion. Sometimes i accidently trigger the Resume function so the car accererates towards the previous set Distronic-speed. And i mean fast! Imagine driving 30mph and before having it set at 100. And by turning the steering wheel or some other reason you accidentaly touch that Resumebutton..That will scare you believe me.. I turned of the Street Sign recognition also because that function has so may flaws and its more or less useless. When it detects a 20mph sign in the vecinaty traveling at a highway set at 70 it will just slam on the brakes...perfect! The Active speed adjusting evenso. Itll brake too soon when entering a corner of roundabout. Just way to early. And sometime at the last moment. And driving with the Auto-pilot on a roundabout is just not i thing a car should be doing. Its overkill. Nice function in the Facelift-model is a overall pretty darn accurate warning of a "end of a trafficjam ahead", eventhough you dont have route programmed in the satnav. Ill warn you of a trafficjam ahead so you can expect danger. The Active speed ajusting isnt active when traveling a route programmed in Android Auto via Google Maps, so in this way you you can avoid the mentioned "flaw"when traveling via the Comand entered route. Stop and Go in trafficjams is a pretty good system. It deactivates after a standing time more that 30 seconds or so. Tipp the gaspedal and ist actives it again. Auto-pilot assist activates a warning to wiggle the steering just a bit or squizing the wheel with your hand firmly, giving the impression to the sytem youre still paying attention.Wiggling the sterring wheel just a degree also wakes it up towards the 15 seconds warning. This could be deactivaed by Viadeo-Monaco. If you do noting itl start beeping and eventually pulls to the side and activates E-call and the hazard warninglights. The system will pull the steering a bit away from a obstical if an head on is almost ocuring. Once i drove on the AutoBahn traveling 240+ and some AH yust pulled to the left, he misinterpreted my speed, i SLAMMED on the brakes and a collission was almost inevitable. Just at the last moment when i almost hit him, the darn W222 pulled the steering a bit away from him steering gently the most it could to avoid hitting him. Not to much so forcing me in a barrier, but really helping/thinking/steering away from his car. I remembered it like the day it happened. I couldnt interveighn in that decision and even when i would it kept avoiding that idiot. It saved my life. The Lane Keeping thingy, auto pilot thingy and alle safety featured it comes with are possibilaty to shud down of deactivate them by a switch. And when restarting hte car, there still in the Off-postion. TI like that. They should have done that with the Start/Stop function but thats another topic. Autopilot is nice to open a can of Cola but in my opionon the car waves too much from richgt to left. Its like swifling between 2 lines too much. I only use it as a add-onn. Steering myself keeps it more i a straight line that a computer. And there's the trust stinghy...going 130kph im rather myself doing the decisions overall. Overall its a quite nice gimmick but 99% of the time im doning it the old fashioned way. Especialy in downtown areas.
Old 04-22-2022, 08:06 PM

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts
2016 S550e, 2005 Nissan Xterra 4x4, 1984 300ZX
I can see the basic stuff but it will not let you download anything
Old 04-23-2022, 06:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 474 Likes on 328 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Originally Posted by ygmn
The only thing in my opinion that went downhill is the speed limit detection system. The pre-face lift models up to 2017 used GPS based speed limit info. They switched to a camera based system in the 2018 and up models. I prefer the GPS system as many, many times the camera system misses "seeing" the signs due to things such as a big truck blocking the view as I approach the sign.

Old 04-23-2022, 06:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 474 Likes on 328 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Off topic I know but did you see where a couple of days ago a Tesla ran slowly into a 3 million dollar private jet. The car was beckoned to drive to the owner via a press of a button on the remote control, and while the car was coming towards the owner who was standing near the jet, the Tesla driving all by itself didn't see the jet and slowly crashed into the tail of the jet. I do not trust this technology at all at this time.
Old 04-23-2022, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by MBS63AMG
The only thing in my opinion that went downhill is the speed limit detection system. The pre-face lift models up to 2017 used GPS based speed limit info. They switched to a camera based system in the 2018 and up models. I prefer the GPS system as many, many times the camera system misses "seeing" the signs due to things such as a big truck blocking the view as I approach the sign.
This is not quite accurate. The new system is camera and GPS based. The actual "seen" speed limits take precedence, but if it doesn't see a speed limit sign for a while it falls back to the GPS speed limit data. This is far superior as the speed limits from the map data can be highly inaccurate due to temporarily lowered speed limits for construction zones etc. and outdated map data. There's always the possibility that it misses a speed limit sign occasionally, but eventually it catches up. In the USA it's not very common to see temporarily lowered speed limits, but during my 2 months European Delivery trip the system combined with DISTRONC's ability to automatically adapt the current speed limit was priceless. In construction zones and other places it's very common in Europe for speed limits to be temporarily lower, and speed limits in general change frequently when driving along B roads and are heavily enforced with speed cameras. It kept me from getting speeding tickets. Here in the USA I turned off the automatic speed limit adoption, though, as it's not very useful given how lax speed limit enforcement really is in this country and radar detectors are legal.

Last edited by superswiss; 04-23-2022 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-23-2022, 01:05 PM

Received 119 Likes on 68 Posts
S560 Long 4Matic (DE) MY 2018
Originally Posted by MB221
I had a W221 and now a FL W222. One of the first FL. It came without Active Lane Change Assist, wich ive read, comes with some really, really scary affects. Like abrubtly steering to avoid a non-excisting obstical. So im glad it isnt ecuiped with. Mine has the Distronic Plus (code 233) /active lane assist (DTR-Q?), stop and go with "extended traffic jam function" (K33) and Active Speed Adjusting when following a a planned route (code K34) in the Comand route navigation. The latter wasnt available on the W221. And was one of the reasong i wnt foir this package.
Noticely better than the W221 is when someone pulls in front of you after he/she has passed you and pulls quite early to the right, just about hitting you fron bumperlip. The W221 slightly went off-throtlle if this happened. Thats gone. Is sees also better throughout the vehicle in front of you better. So if a trafficjam is ahead of the car in front of thát car, so quite ahead, it sees that allready and gently decellerates in a gently matter. IOW is sees the trafficjam allready, even if its not quite as obvious for you as a driver. Bought the car with outdated maps and updating those improved the suddon and with no obvious reason braking, significly. But at random, it sytem sees "danger" of some sort and goes off-throtlle or brakes. With absoluto no reason. Tipping the pedal overules that decission and it accelerates to the previous set speed. But honestly, its scary sometimes. The brakelight come on and cars behind me think i brake in the middle of the highway with no reason at all..

The butttons on the steeringwheel are now common. I absolutely hate them and the sublime stock-type cruisecontrol was thé best system ever made in my opnion. Sometimes i accidently trigger the Resume function so the car accererates towards the previous set Distronic-speed. And i mean fast! Imagine driving 30mph and before having it set at 100. And by turning the steering wheel or some other reason you accidentaly touch that Resumebutton..That will scare you believe me.. I turned of the Street Sign recognition also because that function has so may flaws and its more or less useless. When it detects a 20mph sign in the vecinaty traveling at a highway set at 70 it will just slam on the brakes...perfect! The Active speed adjusting evenso. Itll brake too soon when entering a corner of roundabout. Just way to early. And sometime at the last moment. And driving with the Auto-pilot on a roundabout is just not i thing a car should be doing. Its overkill. Nice function in the Facelift-model is a overall pretty darn accurate warning of a "end of a trafficjam ahead", eventhough you dont have route programmed in the satnav. Ill warn you of a trafficjam ahead so you can expect danger. The Active speed ajusting isnt active when traveling a route programmed in Android Auto via Google Maps, so in this way you you can avoid the mentioned "flaw"when traveling via the Comand entered route. Stop and Go in trafficjams is a pretty good system. It deactivates after a standing time more that 30 seconds or so. Tipp the gaspedal and ist actives it again. Auto-pilot assist activates a warning to wiggle the steering just a bit or squizing the wheel with your hand firmly, giving the impression to the sytem youre still paying attention.Wiggling the sterring wheel just a degree also wakes it up towards the 15 seconds warning. This could be deactivaed by Viadeo-Monaco. If you do noting itl start beeping and eventually pulls to the side and activates E-call and the hazard warninglights. The system will pull the steering a bit away from a obstical if an head on is almost ocuring. Once i drove on the AutoBahn traveling 240+ and some AH yust pulled to the left, he misinterpreted my speed, i SLAMMED on the brakes and a collission was almost inevitable. Just at the last moment when i almost hit him, the darn W222 pulled the steering a bit away from him steering gently the most it could to avoid hitting him. Not to much so forcing me in a barrier, but really helping/thinking/steering away from his car. I remembered it like the day it happened. I couldnt interveighn in that decision and even when i would it kept avoiding that idiot. It saved my life. The Lane Keeping thingy, auto pilot thingy and alle safety featured it comes with are possibilaty to shud down of deactivate them by a switch. And when restarting hte car, there still in the Off-postion. TI like that. They should have done that with the Start/Stop function but thats another topic. Autopilot is nice to open a can of Cola but in my opionon the car waves too much from richgt to left. Its like swifling between 2 lines too much. I only use it as a add-onn. Steering myself keeps it more i a straight line that a computer. And there's the trust stinghy...going 130kph im rather myself doing the decisions overall. Overall its a quite nice gimmick but 99% of the time im doning it the old fashioned way. Especialy in downtown areas.
240 with other cars around? I did 237kph the other day on the Autobahn with the road completely empty and it was an experience that I wouldn't do again if the weather isn't clear, the road straight and absolutely no other cars around. It felt as if I had one tenth of the time available to me in case I needed to react to something.

I drove for a bit at ~190kph on the Autobahn with some light traffic the other day. It wasn't as bad as the 237 one and the car sure is stable enough even at these speeds, but I always had to be VERY mindful of people changing lanes to the left (in Germany people usually don't flash the turn signal and wait a bit, they exit as soon as they flash the turn signal. It's not illegal, but it's idiotic). Generally speaking I had to have my wits about and be ready to decrease my speed way sooner than I anticipated, exactly because people really underestimate how fast you are coming from behind. 130-160 is fast enough without fatiguing me too much.

Regardless, all the assist systems work well enough for me but they are not perfect. The lane change will sometimes fail to do its thing. The speed limit signs fail to be recognised some times (or it won't recognise conditional speeds). Lane assist on my MY18 model sometimes steps on the lane by itself (and then it complains...). I do keep them all on however, because they help a lot when I travel long distances but I never take my mind and attention off of them.
Old 05-01-2024, 07:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W213, W222
Originally Posted by MB221

Hi, i would like to revive this topic a bit. I bought a 2018 FL a month ago. I have all this packages what you are talking about... strange for me is that till now i was driving 2 e-classes w213 one 2017 one 2018 also with full assistance packages. the e class can change the lines automaticaly even if its a 2017.. does anyone know why? I can change the lines by myself thats not the problem, the problem starts when you are driving on distronic, slower car is in front of you and your car started to break, on e class in this moment i can hit the turn signal left and in that second the car stops breaking and starts accelerating to the saved speed as long the left line is empty... is very annoying for me that now i need to change the line completely to have the car accelerate again... is there any option how to fix this? i cant believe there isnt the hardware for this option.. it just doesnt make sense that my older e class can do it and newer s-class dont

Second very important thing to me that drives me completely crazy is this f... breaking based on the route.. if you keep it on, the system shows another icon with the arrow heading down, letting you know distronic is now breaking bcs of the road... when you completely turn off this stupid thing it should be fine and not break in corners on highway but there is some second stage of it that also noone of my cars does. If the corner is more sharp the car with activated distronic will stop accelerating... i can see it on the actual consumption bar that the car just stops accelerating... all my other cars can enter a corner even in 190 if the distronic was set on 190 and leave the corner in 190kmh... this car enters a corner in 180kmh and leaves it 140kmh and start again accelerating after the corner even when the breaking based on the route is turned off.. it drives me really crazy i know what i am doing and when i want take a corner in 190 on distronic is absolutne unacceptable for me to let my car slows down without my command PLEASE tell me someone there is a option to disable this... as far as i observe this special function it depends on the G-Force meter where it is.. also when i drive 140 on distronic on empty highway and i just shake the steering wheel that the g-force meter feels it, the car stops accelerating or holding the speed

I would do anything to disable this please tell me i am not the only one who really hates it...

and please you said you can disable something with vediamo.. you mean the alert that you dont have hands on the wheel? it can go completely off? whats the result? infinity autopilot?

And as you said you feel on autopilot the car is shaking from side to side too much u are right... but again, both my e class are much more in the center of line without going from one line to another...

thanks in advance to anyone who can help me with at least on of this things.. i drive a lot, like really lot, sometimes i feel like i live in the car and i need this things working as i am used to
Old 05-03-2024, 05:11 PM

Received 313 Likes on 204 Posts
S600
Originally Posted by ygmn
The problem with the driver assists is that they are ANNOYING.
Making them work better makes them more annoying.
The following users liked this post:
Lou B (05-06-2024)