Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2022, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLS450,E350
Fitcamx problems

Hi,

I installed a Fitcamx dashcam and am having multiple problems with it:
1) Whether I set it to record 1-minute or 3-minutes video clips, many of the clips are shorter than that (could be just a few seconds, or half the expected time, seems random).
2) In cases when the clip is shorter than the configured time (1 or 3 minutes), some time is missing (not recorded) between the two consecutive clips. Sometimes 7-10 seconds are missing, but in one case over 5 minutes were missing !
3) When I remove the SD card from the camera, the card is extremely hot so that it's even painful to touch it. The camera itself (in its plastic housing) is also very hot.

I'm talking to the camera manufacturer but wondering if anyone else has experienced similar problems. Essentially I'm trying to figure out if my camera is a defective outlier, or some of these problems are found in other cameras too.

Thank you!

Old 09-06-2022, 01:09 PM

Received 173 Likes on 110 Posts
C450, GLS 63 and a few other things
I haven't noticed or read about any of the problems you have seems likely a camera issue, but I'll try to remember to double check mine later.
Old 09-06-2022, 07:23 PM

GLS450,E350
Thank you!
Old 09-07-2022, 05:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 GLC300
Fitcamx works on GLC300

I just successfully installed a Fitcamx dashcam in my 2021 GLC300 and it functions perfectly after resolving an incorrect wiring harness issue. The wiring harness caused the dashcam not to function at all(different than your issue). The replacement harness supplied by Fitcamx works flawlessly. Fitcamx was very responsive in resolving my issue. Good luck!

Last edited by jj31234; 09-07-2022 at 06:13 PM.
Old 09-07-2022, 08:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
GLS 450
I have the FitcamX front and rear cameras installed and have not had any issues. I did put in a larger memory card (and formatted it) and was having trouble getting it to view the videos in the app when I connected. So I put the original card back in and no issues since. I did noticed that both memory cards are very warm to the touch, but they both recorded videos fine.
Old 09-07-2022, 08:31 PM

GLS450,E350
Thank you, @jj31234 !
Old 09-07-2022, 08:37 PM

GLS450,E350
Thank you, @alphanstein !
I bought the camera with a larger card (128Gb instead of 64Gb), so mine is supplied by the camera manufacturer and therefore should work in the camera
I was going to try a smaller card anyway though, just to rule out card problems.
Old 09-09-2022, 12:18 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
GLS 450
Originally Posted by MBOwnerToBe
Thank you, @alphanstein !
I bought the camera with a larger card (128Gb instead of 64Gb), so mine is supplied by the camera manufacturer and therefore should work in the camera
I was going to try a smaller card anyway though, just to rule out card problems.
Yeah, the 128 did not work, so I went back to the 64 they supplied. On my app, I cannot change the resolution of the cameras, they are set at the highest and fixed.
Old 09-09-2022, 09:19 AM

2018 GLC300
Originally Posted by alphanstein
Yeah, the 128 did not work, so I went back to the 64 they supplied. On my app, I cannot change the resolution of the cameras, they are set at the highest and fixed.
OUt of curiosity, was the 128gb card high endurance? Dashcams require memory cards that can handle constant read/writes. There is a specific card type designed for security and dash cams.

It is interesting that your app doesn't allow you to change pixels. Mine does, but I only have the front camera.

Following your journey. Good luck.
Old 09-09-2022, 11:50 AM

GLS450,E350
I'm attaching a photo of the 128Gb card I used, which was supplied by the camera manufacturer (with the camera). I replaced it with a 64Gb card and will report the results in a couple of days.
​​​​​​​

The 128Gb card supplied by Fitcamx
Old 09-09-2022, 12:05 PM

2018 GLC300
In reviewing the sd card specs on Amazon it only mentions gaming and device intent as tablet. Nowhere does it mention dashcam. In reviewing SD cards for potential upgrade (64mb to 128mb in my case) I found dashcams or surveillance to be specifically mentioned as usage. Those cards mentioned dashcam also specified high endurance. For further information search Amazon for high endurance micro SD cards 128 gb.
Old 09-09-2022, 02:57 PM

GLS450,E350
Thank you! Frankly, I think statements like "high endurance" are just big words if they're not backed up by documented compliance with relevant standards, such as Class 3 / A2 / V30 (just copying those from the card image I shared, not saying these stand for high endurance
Do you know which of these standards actually stand for high endurance ?
BTW, I've been using cards with the same specs (Class 3 / A2 / V30) in a different dashcam (Viofo) for a couple of years now, without any issues ever.
Old 09-09-2022, 05:15 PM

2018 GLC300
Good questions....here's what I found. Each code has a meaning. High endurance is typically written on the card. Hope this helps a bit.

Class 3 ...
The SD Association has two UHS Speed Classes, UHS Speed Class 1 and UHS Speed Class 3. UHS Speed Class 1 supports a minimum 10MB/s write speed, whereas UHS Speed Class 3 supports at least 30MB/s write speed. The UHS Speed Class is denoted by either a 1 or 3 inside of a bucket U symbol.Feb 12, 2021

A2 ... The Application Performance Class 2 (A2) is defined by SD Physical 6.0 specification. It makes SD memory card much higher performance than A1 performance by using functions of Command Queuing and Cache. Efficient flash memory management can be supported by Maintenance functions.

V30 ... This edition of the card bears the new Video Speed Class V30 designation, meaning the card can sustain at least 30MB/s continuous video recording. It also has the UHS Speed Class U3 rating that also has the same minimum continuous write speed. The card supports up to 60MB/s maximum write speed according to SanDisk.

High Endurance ... A high-endurance card, designed especially for heavy use and write-intensive applications, is critical in dash cam usage. Over time, a dash cam will write and rewrite hundreds, if not, thousands of times. High-endurance microSD cards are engineered for this and for use in harsh conditions such as leaving your car parked on the street in the dead of winter or in the crazy heats during the summer. Some are durable enough to protect themselves from extreme temperatures, shock, and water.Selecting the correct write speed is essential. Too slow a speed leads to dropped frames and poor video quality. On the other hand, too fast is overkill and won't necessarily improve the video's quality. Generally, Class 10 (10MBs per second) does the trick even if you record 1080p HD images.
card, designed especially for heavy use and write-intensive applications, is critical in dash cam usage. Over time, a dash cam will write and rewrite hundreds, if not, thousands of times. High-endurance microSD cards are engineered for this and for use in harsh conditions such as leaving your car parked on the street in the dead of winter or in the crazy heats during the summer. Some are durable enough to protect themselves from extreme temperatures, shock, and water.
Old 09-09-2022, 05:25 PM

2018 GLC300
High endurance is typically printed in words on the card. Sorry to have two messages but my system errored.

Old 04-09-2023, 11:40 AM

BMW 530e
Hi MBOwnerToBe

Did you manage to fix this in the end? I had exactly the same problem (fitted to BMW 530e) where the recordings get shorter (with 7-12s missing, presumably as the camera reboots) then recordings stop altogether. The FitCamX customer service has been very good, but no solution yet. I assume it's either overheating, or the car can't provide sufficient voltage all the time.

I have tried, in this order...

1) reducing video resolution below the maximum

2) new card (swapped the supplied Kioxia Exceria 64GB card for a SanDisk High Endurance 128GB C10 U3 V30 card)
3) new camera
4) new cable (using a slimmer cable connecting via the rain sensor, instead of the mirror)

None of this has worked yet. Hoping you'd found a solution?

many thanks
Tom

Old 08-06-2023, 06:32 PM

Toyota Rav4
Originally Posted by MBOwnerToBe
Hi,

I installed a Fitcamx dashcam and am having multiple problems with it:
1) Whether I set it to record 1-minute or 3-minutes video clips, many of the clips are shorter than that (could be just a few seconds, or half the expected time, seems random).
2) In cases when the clip is shorter than the configured time (1 or 3 minutes), some time is missing (not recorded) between the two consecutive clips. Sometimes 7-10 seconds are missing, but in one case over 5 minutes were missing !
3) When I remove the SD card from the camera, the card is extremely hot so that it's even painful to touch it. The camera itself (in its plastic housing) is also very hot.

I'm talking to the camera manufacturer but wondering if anyone else has experienced similar problems. Essentially I'm trying to figure out if my camera is a defective outlier, or some of these problems are found in other cameras too.

Thank you!
Hi,
did you find any resolution? I seem to be having a similar issue
Old 11-15-2023, 01:43 PM

Jaguar F Pace
Did you find or get a resolution to this? I have had my FitCamX in my Jaguar F Pace since the start of October, all appears well for a month, but have just reviewed the footage and for the last few weeks I have clips 2/3 seconds long with 10 second gaps.
Old 06-21-2024, 03:57 PM

S203
Hi all,
i didnt own a Benz anymore, swap to Audi, but my FitXamX makes some little big trouble also. ( sry my weird english )
I dont know why, but the Cam didnt safes the recording in estimated Length, just around 6-14Sec. For example 2Min recording ( Live view ).
I use a Panasonic Sd (U3) 256Gb from the first Day when it worked well. Some week/months later i recodnize that the recordet files are just very short from the Auto-On.
The recording is running of course, but the VidFiles are alway very short, no matter hao many reset or settings to Resolutionan lkengt ( 1-3-5Min )...
Out of ideas
Old 06-22-2024, 11:29 AM

Jaguar F Pace
I haven’t found any solutions. Unfortunately FitCamX are not willing to speak to me as I brought the camera from a 3rd party retailer. What I have discovered is that the camera seems unable to overwrite previous files. When the memory card has plenty of space the files record as they should. When the card is near full it starts saving 1-2 second clips with 10 second gaps. For the time being I have just been formatting the card periodically to ensure I have recordings save properly.

Originally Posted by Starshiprider
Hi all,
i didnt own a Benz anymore, swap to Audi, but my FitXamX makes some little big trouble also. ( sry my weird english )
I dont know why, but the Cam didnt safes the recording in estimated Length, just around 6-14Sec. For example 2Min recording ( Live view ).
I use a Panasonic Sd (U3) 256Gb from the first Day when it worked well. Some week/months later i recodnize that the recordet files are just very short from the Auto-On.
The recording is running of course, but the VidFiles are alway very short, no matter hao many reset or settings to Resolutionan lkengt ( 1-3-5Min )...
Out of ideas
Old 06-23-2024, 05:18 AM

S203
Good morning,
i didnt recognize these problem. Maybe the problem starts here, when the card was full..? But my safed files got no gaps, just between 5 and 14sec long from the start.
I get mail from FitCam Stuff to send them my actuall Firmware. So they got me on the radar. If they got a solution for me i will let you know here.
Old 06-23-2024, 11:41 AM

Jaguar F Pace
I had a weird response from them today stating that my product isn’t a FitCamX item as the firmware wasn’t one of theirs!! They are quite useless! Eventually they acknowledged it was and they are sending me a new firmware to install. Hopefully that will fix the problem

Originally Posted by Starshiprider
Good morning,
i didnt recognize these problem. Maybe the problem starts here, when the card was full..? But my safed files got no gaps, just between 5 and 14sec long from the start.
I get mail from FitCam Stuff to send them my actuall Firmware. So they got me on the radar. If they got a solution for me i will let you know here.
Old 06-27-2024, 04:41 PM

S203
Hey Guys..
i found out that a problem accours to my card in cam, a Samsung u3 with 256Gb. I bought it brand new for the FitX and worked well from the start. I never had issues with cards anywhere. I think the Filesystem on the FitCam did some malfunktion, maybe in case of a full card? I testet with a old Sandisk 32Gb card and the recording is well again.
I did ordered now a Sandisk extrem with 128Gb and will install tomorow.