GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Michelin cross climate 2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2022, 02:52 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
GLC43 AMG
Michelin cross climate 2

Hi. Has anyone installed the cross climate 2 tires on their GLC/GLC43? Do you like them? How is the road noise and traction during winter and summer? Thank you
Old 09-16-2022, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,829 Likes on 2,558 Posts
2019 C63CS
Not on a GLC, but I've put them on my wife's Beetle. I've only driven them in the dry and wet so far, but I've chosen them because we occasionally drive to Tahoe in the winter and previous A/S tires just didn't cut it in the snow. The CrossClimate is unique in that it is actually rated for snow complete with mountain peak symbol on the sidewall. As said, haven't experienced them personally in the snow, but they have excellent reviews. In the dry and wet I'm actually impressed by them. Personally I'm a high performance summer tire kind of guy on my own cars, but I like the CrossClimate. Handles really well in the dry and wet at least with the light Beetle. It's fun zipping around town. There's an SUV specific version of the CrossClimate, though. Heavier vehicles put up a different challenge for tires.
Old 09-17-2022, 08:18 PM

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
GLC300 and I have about 25k miles on them. Very quiet, excellent in the rain. haven't tried them in any decent snow but based on what i have read. I would imagine they would do well. I would buy them again for sure.
The following users liked this post:
markaj1 (09-18-2022)
Old 09-18-2022, 07:50 PM

Received 158 Likes on 118 Posts
2021 Glb35 AMG (2013 GLK 350)
Cross Climates are great All Weather tires if you are driving in snow/ice in winter. If you are driving in more in dry/wet weather, summer oriented UHP AS tires like Michelin Pilot All Season 4 or Conti DWS06 Plus might be a good option...

You can check the all weather tire review below:

Also compared to other Michelin tires:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=270

Comparison of UHP A/S tires:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=280
Old 09-18-2022, 10:46 PM

GLC43 AMG
Originally Posted by Serhan
Cross Climates are great All Weather tires if you are driving in snow/ice in winter. If you are driving in more in dry/wet weather, summer oriented UHP AS tires like Michelin Pilot All Season 4 or Conti DWS06 Plus might be a good option...

You can check the all weather tire review below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQQjamHdqZk

Also compared to other Michelin tires:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=270

Comparison of UHP A/S tires:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=280
thank you. But having the 20inch staggered GLC43. I only have cross climate 2 and the crappy OEM Goodyear MO for all seasons tires options. So switching to the cross climate 2 is a better choice I think? As there is no third choice to my knowledge.

Last edited by markaj1; 09-19-2022 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-19-2022, 04:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 152 Likes on 126 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Goodyear sell an All Season in staggered 20” rim size. Not a bad tyre for the GLC but my guess is the Michelin would be better
Old 09-19-2022, 10:12 AM

Received 158 Likes on 118 Posts
2021 Glb35 AMG (2013 GLK 350)
Cross Climates have similar tire pattern to the Michelin Alpin 5 winter tires that I got last year after not finding any A/S or winter tires for GLB 21" rims. I really like the soft ride of 20" Alpin 5 winters and also the performance that beats the Vredestein Quatrac Pro A/S in dry, snow, and wet performance per tire-reviews.com tests... That is why I was looking at the Cross Climates with similar pattern. I expected Cross Climates have similar performance, but it lags on wet performance, not bad, but not class leading... I ended up with Pilot A/S 4 OEM Tesla UHP tires for 21" that are closer to summer tires eg needs heat to soften compared to winter biased softer A/S tires... It is too bad that MB has these AMG cars with no alternative A/S tires vs Tesla's come with Michelin UHP A/S's from factory...

Originally Posted by markaj1
thank you. But having the 20inch staggered GLC43. I only have cross climate 2 and the crappy OEM Firestone MO for all seasons tires options. So switching to the cross climate 2 is a better choice I think? As there is no third choice to my knowledge.
Old 09-19-2022, 10:56 AM

GLC43 AMG
Originally Posted by Teckno
Goodyear sell an All Season in staggered 20” rim size. Not a bad tyre for the GLC but my guess is the Michelin would be better
sorry. I meant Goodyear (not Firestone). They are horrible.
Old 09-19-2022, 10:59 AM

GLC43 AMG
Originally Posted by Serhan
Cross Climates have similar tire pattern to the Michelin Alpin 5 winter tires that I got last year after not finding any A/S or winter tires for GLB 21" rims. I really like the soft ride of 20" Alpin 5 winters and also the performance that beats the Vredestein Quatrac Pro A/S in dry, snow, and wet performance per tire-reviews.com tests... That is why I was looking at the Cross Climates with similar pattern. I expected Cross Climates have similar performance, but it lags on wet performance, not bad, but not class leading... I ended up with Pilot A/S 4 OEM Tesla UHP tires for 21" that are closer to summer tires eg needs heat to soften compared to winter biased softer A/S tires... It is too bad that MB has these AMG cars with no alternative A/S tires vs Tesla's come with Michelin UHP A/S's from factory...
i know. For years I was stuck with the OEM Goodyear which are horrible so I guess I can consider the cross climate as an “upgrade” at a cheaper price also.
Old 09-22-2022, 10:40 AM

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
2020 AMG GLC 43
For Winter performance you'll have to ask the Aussies (if Michelin even sells them down under), because the tires just came out in April. However, I put mine on the SECOND they came on the market because I HATED the Goodyear Eagle run-flats. Mercedes should issue a recall and an apology for making us endure those round rubber bricks.

The Cross Climate 2s, however, have been wonderful! For me they seemed to soften up after a couple hundred miles, and now, after a few thousand miles (I don't drive much), I can say the best thing you can say about a tire - I don't notice them. What I mean by that is, with the Goodyears I would anticipate every bump and seam in the road. They made the car rattle in places I didn't know rattles could exist. They made my **** hurt from all the jostling around. And I dreaded having passengers in the car because the ride was so embarrassingly harsh. Now? Nothing. Just quiet, pliant tires that feel so much like the normal ride I thought I was buying that I don't even think about them anymore. It's bliss!

Plus, they're stickier than the Goodyears (due to not being slabs of steel with a thin rubber coating), so I can still take a corner with a bit of aggression (I'm being subtle in case the police are watching

I can't recommend them highly enough.
markaj1 (09-22-2022)
Old 09-22-2022, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,600 Likes on 1,177 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
You might take a look at the Nokian WRG4.https://simpletire.com/brands/nokian-tires/wr-g4
Tire Rack doesn't sell them so they don't appear in their comparisons. Most other online stores have comments or comparisons, though.
I think I've gone through about six sets of nokians in the last 20 years and they've all been superb. Have these on our GLC right now - the run flats came off the week after we got the car.

Based on reviews, probably more international reviews, I would probably get the Michelin cross climate 2 because it seems to have better dry performance.
Old 09-23-2022, 03:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 152 Likes on 126 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Options in Australia very limited for tyre choice - Goodyear has cornered All Season market.
Wrote to Michelin Australia and they were bordering on rude, stating Australia would never get the tyres as our weather did not warrant such a tyre.
I even called and requested a call back from a tech or sales manager, but 4 weeks later Nothing.
Shame they are so ignorant and cannot see a marketing opportunity - Something that Mercedes and Goodyear jumped into bed together.
Each major tyre importer in Oz have dedicated staff to service major car manufactures and Michelin is either arrogant or just ‘dumb’.
The owners book in Oz states to change to winter tyres or all season when road temp drops to 7 degrees C to stop tyre crabbing.
Maybe I need to find the CEO in Oz and discuss a marketing opportunity ?????

I am not anti Michelin, we fitted new tyres to out classic BMW 330Ci (replaced Conti) and will replace Dunlop on BMW X1 to Michelin in due course. Might see if COSTC will import or some other tyre outlet using the ‘grey’ import’ avenue.

Last edited by Teckno; 09-23-2022 at 03:21 AM. Reason: Spell
Old 09-24-2022, 08:17 AM

GLC43 AMG
Originally Posted by Tim_P
For Winter performance you'll have to ask the Aussies (if Michelin even sells them down under), because the tires just came out in April. However, I put mine on the SECOND they came on the market because I HATED the Goodyear Eagle run-flats. Mercedes should issue a recall and an apology for making us endure those round rubber bricks.

The Cross Climate 2s, however, have been wonderful! For me they seemed to soften up after a couple hundred miles, and now, after a few thousand miles (I don't drive much), I can say the best thing you can say about a tire - I don't notice them. What I mean by that is, with the Goodyears I would anticipate every bump and seam in the road. They made the car rattle in places I didn't know rattles could exist. They made my **** hurt from all the jostling around. And I dreaded having passengers in the car because the ride was so embarrassingly harsh. Now? Nothing. Just quiet, pliant tires that feel so much like the normal ride I thought I was buying that I don't even think about them anymore. It's bliss!

Plus, they're stickier than the Goodyears (due to not being slabs of steel with a thin rubber coating), so I can still take a corner with a bit of aggression (I'm being subtle in case the police are watching

I can't recommend them highly enough.
ok. Will go ahead and order them from Costco, $1300 installed and balanced (on sale right now). Given my only other option for all season GLC43 20 in staggered is the Goodyear run flat OEM. This will be considered an upgrade plus hundreds of dollars in savings. Thank you for all the feedback.
Tim_P (09-26-2022)
Old 10-31-2022, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2021 GLC 300 4Matic
Originally Posted by ajmtbm
GLC300 and I have about 25k miles on them. Very quiet, excellent in the rain. haven't tried them in any decent snow but based on what i have read. I would imagine they would do well. I would buy them again for sure.
I read a lot of good reviews from Cross Climate 2 and I think I'm convinced to buy them. Could you confirm what tire pressure do you keep on them? I'll be going with the 235/55/19 size. Also the car came with the Pirelli Scorpian Verde All Seson Run Flat. They are wearing off quickly and the ride is very bumpy. Does the ride feel better in CC2?
Old 01-20-2023, 09:10 AM

mercedes benz glc300
OEM vs Michelin CC2 on GLC300

Originally Posted by ar85
I read a lot of good reviews from Cross Climate 2 and I think I'm convinced to buy them. Could you confirm what tire pressure do you keep on them? I'll be going with the 235/55/19 size. Also the car came with the Pirelli Scorpian Verde All Seson Run Flat. They are wearing off quickly and the ride is very bumpy. Does the ride feel better in CC2?
I wanna go with Michelin CC2. But having run flat option on the OEM Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season is tilting the scale in its favour. Any first experience?
Old 01-20-2023, 11:49 AM

2020 AMG GLC 43
Originally Posted by Prabu
I wanna go with Michelin CC2. But having run flat option on the OEM Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season is tilting the scale in its favour. Any first experience?
Buy run-flats at your own peril. Just be sure to keep your dentist on speed dial, because those tires will rattle the fillings out of your mouth.

Last edited by Tim_P; 01-20-2023 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-20-2023, 11:51 AM

2020 AMG GLC 43
Originally Posted by ar85
Does the ride feel better in CC2?
Yes. Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes. Especially after a couple hundred miles of break-in.
Old 01-20-2023, 10:54 PM

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Tim_P
Yes. Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes. Especially after a couple hundred miles of break-in.
Significantly more comfortable and quieter. I'm around 30k miles and still plenty quiet and still plenty of tread. If I had the Scorpions i would be replacing them right about now.
Vaboy (01-21-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 05:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2021 GLC 300
I just replaced by Pirelli run-flats with Michelin Primacy All Season tires from Costco. They are great! A quieter and smoother ride. I'm in Texas, so no need for winter performance.

Last edited by mercedes77429; 01-21-2023 at 10:40 PM.
Old 05-02-2024, 04:13 PM

GLC43
Looking for an update from markaj1

Just stumbled onto this thread as I'm facing the same exact decision right now. Running Goodyear Eagle RFs and need a new set...the problem is that a) the OEM tires are extremely hard to find (some are saying they've been discontinued), b) they are expensive, and c) I've never been impressed with the ride quality. I'm debating switching away from the RFs and the Crossclimate2 is where I've landed. Similarly, Costco has them on sale for the next week and I'm trying to make a decision quickly. Not many A/S options in the staggered fit, and I don't really want to entertain having a dedicated winter set. I live in the midwest, so not a ton of snow, but it can get very cold.

For markaj1 I'm curious how you like them on the GLC43. Any updates you could provide would be very much appreciated!
Old 05-02-2024, 09:25 PM

GLC43 AMG
Originally Posted by CincyGLC43
Just stumbled onto this thread as I'm facing the same exact decision right now. Running Goodyear Eagle RFs and need a new set...the problem is that a) the OEM tires are extremely hard to find (some are saying they've been discontinued), b) they are expensive, and c) I've never been impressed with the ride quality. I'm debating switching away from the RFs and the Crossclimate2 is where I've landed. Similarly, Costco has them on sale for the next week and I'm trying to make a decision quickly. Not many A/S options in the staggered fit, and I don't really want to entertain having a dedicated winter set. I live in the midwest, so not a ton of snow, but it can get very cold.

For markaj1 I'm curious how you like them on the GLC43. Any updates you could provide would be very much appreciated!
I love them. Excellent tread life, good ride, and good grip in mild to 3 inch of snow. I have zero concerns.
CincyGLC43 (07-03-2024)
Old 05-05-2024, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 149 Posts
2018 GLC 4MATIC
I love them. Excellent tread life, good ride, and good grip in mild to 3 inch of snow. I have zero concerns.
How are they on ice?
As Im getting older, swapping wheels twice a year getting hard.
Old 05-05-2024, 08:21 PM

GLC43 AMG
Originally Posted by DanD.
How are they on ice?
As Im getting older, swapping wheels twice a year getting hard.
I had them in mild icy conditions, not sheets of ice, performed pretty well. Drove it in snow 3-4 inches. No issues. It will never be as good as snow tires but a well step above any all seasons. I was swapping before. But here in Portland, Oregon we get snow and ice may be a week out of the year and I never got stuck.
Old 05-06-2024, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 149 Posts
2018 GLC 4MATIC
I had them in mild icy conditions, not sheets of ice, performed pretty well. Drove it in snow 3-4 inches. No issues. It will never be as good as snow tires but a well step above any all seasons. I was swapping before. But here in Portland, Oregon we get snow and ice may be a week out of the year and I never got stuck.
Sounds promising neighbor, Im Seattle WA similar weather but I like to ski, and sometimes it snows there. But reading all review tires perform very well in snow it has 3 mountains sign as all winter tires.
Old 05-06-2024, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,829 Likes on 2,558 Posts
2019 C63CS
Below is an interesting graph somebody posted recently showing the relative performance of various Michelin tires. The Cross Climate 2 is basically a sold straight line besting even a ice/snow tire until you get deep into the winter and even then it's not far behind. The all-season on the other hand just doesn't keep up. It also is quite close to the performance of a pure summer performance tire in the dry and wet.

Last edited by superswiss; 05-06-2024 at 02:30 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Michelin cross climate 2