S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

Can factory dealer do 4D sound upgrade?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2022, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can factory dealer do 4D sound upgrade?

I’m regretted not getting the 4D sound, can factory dealer upgrade it? Anyone here done it, if so what is the cost?
Old 12-27-2022, 02:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,120 Likes on 708 Posts
23 S580 Executive
Huge job, possibly cheaper to trade, you'll wish you had traded when you hear all the squeaks and rattles.

I'd consider a sub; you'll get kick on the bottom and breathe some life into the existing speakers.
The following 3 users liked this post by crabman:
Diesel Benz (12-27-2022), DoctorDash (12-28-2022), Streamliner (12-28-2022)
Old 12-28-2022, 11:13 AM

Great advise thank you
Old 12-29-2022, 09:41 PM

Received 125 Likes on 84 Posts
S450 4Matic
I've done this exact upgrade, and unfortunately there is indeed some additional squeak and rattle in the cabin as a result. So definitely not recommended.

The following users liked this post:
Diesel Benz (12-30-2022)
Old 12-30-2022, 01:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by rw594
I've done this exact upgrade, and unfortunately there is indeed some additional squeak and rattle in the cabin as a result. So definitely not recommended.
Would be useful to have a list of new parts and some idea about the work involved. Your comment makes it sound like the rattle would be the major issue (depends on the person, perhaps a lot of work is no major issue for all).
Old 12-30-2022, 01:58 AM

S450 4Matic
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
Would be useful to have a list of new parts and some idea about the work involved. Your comment makes it sound like the rattle would be the major issue (depends on the person, perhaps a lot of work is no major issue for all).
Sure, see this picture for a rough list of parts

Lots of additional speakers and a sub to fit in, decorative metal covers to add, wiring to redo, door panels and ceiling to cut open (to fit the new metal speaker covers)...

It's a big operation. You basically have to disassemble and reassemble the whole interior. And due to the cuttings involved, the whole process isn't even resersable.

To me the rattle and squeaks, while unpleasant, are not a deal breaker. I've learned to live with them. But would I do it again? No, for my next car, I will wait a while longer for the perfectly factory optioned car to appear, rather than risking another retrofit.
The following 2 users liked this post by rw594:
Diesel Benz (12-30-2022), Fried Chicken (Today)
Old 12-30-2022, 07:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
It was amazing; the scope of job you did. I'm not aware of a shop in the US that does all that work at any price. If there is such a shop I'm just about certain you'd be ahead trading in the current market on a nearly new car here.

I think that was perhaps the most interesting thread I've seen here to date. I honestly do not believe I would be brave enough to try it. After you explained it I can understand your situation there with car buying, but man; you've gotta want it!

I still think you should have moved!
Streamliner (01-01-2023)

Trending Topics

Old 12-30-2022, 12:22 PM

S450 4Matic
Originally Posted by crabman
It was amazing; the scope of job you did. I'm not aware of a shop in the US that does all that work at any price. If there is such a shop I'm just about certain you'd be ahead trading in the current market on a nearly new car here.

I think that was perhaps the most interesting thread I've seen here to date. I honestly do not believe I would be brave enough to try it. After you explained it I can understand your situation there with car buying, but man; you've gotta want it!

I still think you should have moved!
Thanks man Indeed the project was good fun. Alas the final result wasn't as stimulating...
Old 01-01-2023, 06:39 AM

Received 173 Likes on 114 Posts
2021 S500 (Mojave Silver), MB S400 (wife), BMW 750Li (passed on to kids)
Sure, see this picture for a rough list of parts

Lots of additional speakers and a sub to fit in, decorative metal covers to add, wiring to redo, door panels and ceiling to cut open (to fit the new metal speaker covers)...

It's a big operation. You basically have to disassemble and reassemble the whole interior. And due to the cuttings involved, the whole process isn't even resersable.

To me the rattle and squeaks, while unpleasant, are not a deal breaker. I've learned to live with them. But would I do it again? No, for my next car, I will wait a while longer for the perfectly factory optioned car to appear, rather than risking another retrofit.
I assume the "rattle and squeaks" are not just from the sound system upgrade but also the other (various) upgrades you've done?
Old 01-01-2023, 11:18 AM

S450 4Matic
Originally Posted by Sonic Boom
I assume the "rattle and squeaks" are not just from the sound system upgrade but also the other (various) upgrades you've done?
Yeah, hard to pin-point exactly which upgrades caused which noises, but 4D burmester and AR HUD are probably the biggest culprits, as these two together account for most of the parts-swap and reassembly.
Old 08-22-2024, 08:17 AM

2021 S580
I'm interested in doing a full upgrade to the 4D Burmester sound system in my 2021 S580. Could you advise how much it would cost to order the components shown in the picture? My car currently has the standard Burmester system, so I already have a few Burmester speakers, four of which look similar to the ones in the upgrade. Can I reuse any of them, or would I need to fully replace them?
Old 08-22-2024, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,673 Likes on 2,103 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by nerd00
I'm interested in doing a full upgrade to the 4D Burmester sound system in my 2021 S580. Could you advise how much it would cost to order the components shown in the picture? My car currently has the standard Burmester system, so I already have a few Burmester speakers, four of which look similar to the ones in the upgrade. Can I reuse any of them, or would I need to fully replace them?
As mentioned earlier in this thread, you DO NOT want to do this. You will be light years ahead of the game by simply getting a car already equipped as you want it and either selling or trading your current car. If you absolutely want to keep your car, take it to a high end audio shop and ask them what they would do. I am quite sure they could upgrade your system to blow the windows out of the car for WAY less than you would spend to try for the factory upgrade.
The following 3 users liked this post by Streamliner:
nerd00 (Yesterday), Phillyfinest (08-22-2024), regancc (08-22-2024)
Old 08-22-2024, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,783 Likes on 1,781 Posts
2024 S580
Honestly? The base system is incredible as long as you are streaming directly through the car...I see no need for the 4D.
Old Yesterday, 08:53 AM

2021 S580

First of all I will drive this car at least 3 years, and I think current standard burmeister (the right one in the pic) is not enough.
Bass is very weak, tweeter sound is also not clear.

I've asked few car tuning shops for the price and got a rough answer, $20K CAD.
I haven't set up proper full aftermarket audio setup, so I have less idea that the budget is enough or not.

Is $20k CAD pricey for the full buermeister 4d setup? Would there be better brand/setup with the same budget?
Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
First of all I will drive this car at least 3 years, and I think current standard burmeister (the right one in the pic) is not enough.
Bass is very weak, tweeter sound is also not clear.
Have you listened to it streaming Tidal or Apple Music directly through MBUX after going through the personal sound profile? The difference is night and day. Mine has so much bass I had to back off of it, you feel it in your core. You don't get any of that listening through CarPlay. I am shocked by how great the audio is and how different it is directly through MBUX. Its the best car audio I've ever had.

Spending $20,000 on that is crazy, its a sunk cost that actually devalues the car, so it actually costs you $25-30k. For 3 years thats $10,000 a year just for audio. If you must have the 4D I would trade the car on one with it...you can accomplish that for less than $20k.

Last edited by SW20S; Yesterday at 10:23 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by SW20S:
Baltistyle (Yesterday), crabman (Yesterday), nerd00 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:55 AM

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
2022 S580
I'm aligned with @SW20S on going through the Sound Profile setup. Once I did that, it rivals (almost) the 3D high-end system I had in my E63. In hindsight, I wish I had bought the 4D, but it is good enough that I can live it until I trade again in a couple of years.
nerd00 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,673 Likes on 2,103 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
People like to complain about the prices of factory options, but for the most part, I have always thought that MB options are relative bargains. I believe the 4D Audio I had in my 2022 S580 was around $6,500.00 and worth every penny, as was the Exclusive Nappa interior. The rub with MB is the way they package some options, which in some cases, is a bit ridiculous. Of course, to get a car exactly as you want it, in most cases, you need to do a special order, as finding vehicles with some of the pricier options in dealer stock can be next to impossible.
The following 2 users liked this post by Streamliner:
carlosinseattle (Yesterday), Sonic Boom (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:16 PM

2021 S580
I've just tried Apple Music directly in the MBUX. Oh my god, this is a whole new different sound. I felt more like W223 wireless carplay loses tons of quality in the music streaming.
Also with the personalization I was able to find much better settings compares to simple bass/mid/treble equalizer. The 2-dimensional EQ is pretty much fun and efficient to find my optimal settings very quickly.

Now I got a new issue that W223 disconnects apple carplay everytime I try Apple Music in MBUX. It needs internet connection and it can't connect bluetooth while phone is connected in carplay.
I'm trying to dig mercedes data plan but its hard to get some information. (If anyone knows how to do, please help!)
I simply gave up apple carplay cuz I like the new sound

Thank you so much, now I don't feel like I need 4D anymore (with 20K price).
Old Yesterday, 01:20 PM

Received 266 Likes on 182 Posts
2001 S600 V12 Sold, 2011 Jaguar XFR Sold, 2017 S550 4-Matic, 2018 S63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by SW20S
Have you listened to it streaming Tidal or Apple Music directly through MBUX after going through the personal sound profile? The difference is night and day. Mine has so much bass I had to back off of it, you feel it in your core. You don't get any of that listening through CarPlay. I am shocked by how great the audio is and how different it is directly through MBUX. Its the best car audio I've ever had.

Spending $20,000 on that is crazy, its a sunk cost that actually devalues the car, so it actually costs you $25-30k. For 3 years thats $10,000 a year just for audio. If you must have the 4D I would trade the car on one with it...you can accomplish that for less than $20k.
I see you guys talk about streaming directly through MBUX. Question for you, since you also had a W222. Is that process the same for W222, or is the system different? I have a 2018 W222. I have the 3D system and stream spotify through bluetooth 90% of the time and it seems to sound good. I used to have custom systems in my car with giant subs and all that, but I'm not expecting to duplicate that experience. But I'm wondering if I use iTunes through Carplay, or use Tidal with Android Auto, if it will sound better? I have both phones but prefer Android.
Old Yesterday, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
You would not have been happy anyway; you'd have had multiple squeaks, rattles, all that fun stuff. Doesn't take much of that to make you wish you had never started in the first place.

You might consider skipping Apple and working through the MBUX with just the bluetooth connection and the tuness coming off the built-in data or from your phone as a hotspot. The nav is decent, you've got your native MBUX apps for tunes, you can still get your calls and messages. I'm Android Auto but I did it; thought I might die without it beforehand, turns out I survived just fine. I know it's crazy talk, but something to consider.

About that 4D: It's the only thing I REALLY miss from the 580. Unfortunately, it's also something Mrs Crab misses, and her displeasure with me trading has been unequivocally made known. My bad. If I come back here, it's going to be the S63, I missed having something with more oomph when I was in the 580.
Old Yesterday, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
I've just tried Apple Music directly in the MBUX. Oh my god, this is a whole new different sound. I felt more like W223 wireless carplay loses tons of quality in the music streaming.
Also with the personalization I was able to find much better settings compares to simple bass/mid/treble equalizer. The 2-dimensional EQ is pretty much fun and efficient to find my optimal settings very quickly.

Now I got a new issue that W223 disconnects apple carplay everytime I try Apple Music in MBUX. It needs internet connection and it can't connect bluetooth while phone is connected in carplay.
I'm trying to dig mercedes data plan but its hard to get some information. (If anyone knows how to do, please help!)
I simply gave up apple carplay cuz I like the new sound

Thank you so much, now I don't feel like I need 4D anymore (with 20K price).
Glad I could help! The difference is truly incredible. Have you set up the personal sound profile? That makes it even better. Direct Apple Music also supports Dolby Atmos. Find a track in Atmos and listen to it!

I also stopped using CarPlay entirely and I LOVE CarPlay...

Originally Posted by carlosinseattle
I see you guys talk about streaming directly through MBUX. Question for you, since you also had a W222. Is that process the same for W222, or is the system different? I have a 2018 W222. I have the 3D system and stream spotify through bluetooth 90% of the time and it seems to sound good. I used to have custom systems in my car with giant subs and all that, but I'm not expecting to duplicate that experience. But I'm wondering if I use iTunes through Carplay, or use Tidal with Android Auto, if it will sound better? I have both phones but prefer Android.
W222 has no ability to stream directly unfortunately...Apple Music or Tidal would be better because they are lossless, Spotify isnt.
carlosinseattle (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 750 Likes on 470 Posts
2023 S500
I always regret not getting the highly overpriced high-end stereo option. It’s one option I’ll always check off if I do a custom build but a lot of times I buy off the lot and don’t get the opportunity. However, the base 3D Burmester system is great in this car. I love it. Of course, next time around, assuming I get another S class, I’ll definitely do a custom build and will certainly have that 4D option checked off.
Old Today, 03:21 AM

Received 171 Likes on 141 Posts
2005 S500 Designo
would I do it again? No
I'm glad I'm not the only one that has done a ridiculous job only to decide it wasn't worth it.

Last edited by Fried Chicken; Today at 03:25 AM.