GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

Cargo mat/liner (again)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2023, 09:04 AM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
2021 GLS 450. Have a Holden Commodore, Jeep, truck, and more
Cargo mat/liner (again)

I am looking at cargo liners for 21 GLS450. I had read here iirc that Mercedes made a nice carpeted mat for the rear and the opposite side was a nice rubberized surface that could be used for dirty items. When I called my dealer they said none of the options worked for my vin, but couldn't explain why. Does anyone here have one of the factory mats or liners? I wouldn't imagine there being differences in the GLS that prevent it from being used in over variation over the others. The dealer wouldn't give me the part #'s for those that work on GLS just not mine so I could research further which was frustrating.

I am also searching for aftermarket options. It seems weathertech and 3dmaxpider are the giants in this area, but there are many others. I think carpeted looks a little better, but doesn't offer anti skid properties as I would like to keep the stroller from sliding and banging into all of the panels in the cargo area. Any personal experience with these liners and pros/cons?

I have also seen tuxmats and carmatscustoms, but haven't found too much info on them. Has anoyone used these or others that you liked?

I would like the option to be able to use the liner with the 3rd row folded down and when up which I know narrows the field greatly and may not be something I can have.
The following users liked this post:
Splaktar (01-10-2024)
Old 03-07-2023, 04:59 PM

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
2015 MB S550 & 2020 MB GLS 450
Do you have the Burmester High End 3-D Surround Sound System? I have that option in the 20 GLS I purchased in November, and found on sites, including WeatherTech, that they allege the cargo trays/mats are not for vehicles with the 3-D system. While they do physically fit the area, the only things I can speculate is that a tray/mat either dampens the sound from the sub, or it may create a heat issue from the amp and sub underneath the cargo area floor.
Splaktar (01-10-2024)
Old 03-07-2023, 05:44 PM

Received 141 Likes on 126 Posts
2014 ML350 2w, 2017 GLS550, 1967 Pontiac GTO 4 sp
Keep the flames to a minimum. I bought a 2013 Dodge Durango which I miss. I also bought a 3' x 5' outdoor snag rug at Home Depot. I think it was $20.00. This photo is from the Durango. I could tuck the extra length behind the second row, although I could have trimmed it. With the 3rd row up. I could roll it up tightly behind the 3rd row. I kept using it when I got my '14 GL450 in 2017. Still using it in my 2017 GLS550 which I bought last Sept. I had to trim off the section that tucked behind the 2nd row. After 10 years the bend finally cracked. I may get a new one soon. The extra length spans the gap when the 2nd row is folded down. Handy for sliding longs stuff in and out. If need be, you can turn it rubber side up, though I have never felt the need to do that. In the interest of full disclosure, things do slide around. I have a stock of bungee cords to prevent that. Believe it or not, no one has ever come up to me to say "you use a cheap-*** door mat instead of Weathertech? Heathen!"

Old 03-07-2023, 06:07 PM

Can't believe you would put something like that in a Mercedes. I bet you don't put a cheap-*** door mat in the GTO!
You have given me a thought....a college buddy has a designer natural fiber rug company and I might get him to cut something to fit the area. Much nicer than a door mat.
Just kidding, in case it was not obvious.
pjw1967 (03-07-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by TNS550
Do you have the Burmester High End 3-D Surround Sound System? I have that option in the 20 GLS I purchased in November, and found on sites, including WeatherTech, that they allege the cargo trays/mats are not for vehicles with the 3-D system. While they do physically fit the area, the only things I can speculate is that a tray/mat either dampens the sound from the sub, or it may create a heat issue from the amp and sub underneath the cargo area floor.
I do not. If I had this feature, I could see it being a problem. I will say, I have contacted some online mercedes retailers as well as the dealer for a couple of items in the last few weeks and have gotten varying answers on what is produced and what isn't. Often times it is conflicting information. When using their online site and do searches I get pages and pages of results that are for other mercedes models than the GLS. This has been very frustrating. I have never had this much trouble with other manufacturers and keep thinking I am missing something.
Splaktar (01-10-2024)
Old 03-07-2023, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by pjw1967
Keep the flames to a minimum. I bought a 2013 Dodge Durango which I miss. I also bought a 3' x 5' outdoor snag rug at Home Depot. I think it was $20.00. This photo is from the Durango. I could tuck the extra length behind the second row, although I could have trimmed it. With the 3rd row up. I could roll it up tightly behind the 3rd row. I kept using it when I got my '14 GL450 in 2017. Still using it in my 2017 GLS550 which I bought last Sept. I had to trim off the section that tucked behind the 2nd row. After 10 years the bend finally cracked. I may get a new one soon. The extra length spans the gap when the 2nd row is folded down. Handy for sliding longs stuff in and out. If need be, you can turn it rubber side up, though I have never felt the need to do that. In the interest of full disclosure, things do slide around. I have a stock of bungee cords to prevent that. Believe it or not, no one has ever come up to me to say "you use a cheap-*** door mat instead of Weathertech? Heathen!"
I had considered a universal mat that I could trim to how I want, but my wife isn't a fan of the idea. Especially after I got the trunk liner for our Holden. I also have nice molded floor mats in my truck. Once you have them you get used to it and it's hard to go back to universal. Since my wife will use this some of the time and be taking clients places she wants it to look nice as well.
Old 03-08-2023, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by LeadfootCJ7
I would like the option to be able to use the liner with the 3rd row folded down and when up which I know narrows the field greatly and may not be something I can have.
Here is something I am considering from ebay, but it is for the seven seat option: Cargo Tray
Old 03-08-2023, 09:34 PM

Here is something I am considering from ebay, but it is for the seven seat option: Cargo Tray
I've seen that and I am starting to convince myself to try it. For the price it's not the end of the world if I hate it. My only concern is if it will smell like a rubber factory. For the price it might be worth the gamble
Old 03-09-2023, 09:45 AM

I've seen that and I am starting to convince myself to try it. For the price it's not the end of the world if I hate it. My only concern is if it will smell like a rubber factory. For the price it might be worth the gamble
My thinking as well. At the price point, if it affected the sound of the 3D system I could pull it out.
Old 03-09-2023, 01:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
GLS 450
I used this one and it looks great, works great with dogs and picking up stuff like gardening/plants. And you can get it configured based on your seating set up and color. https://www.canvasback.com/
Splaktar (01-10-2024)
Old 03-09-2023, 01:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
08 E63 Arctic White/Black
i'm a huge fan of the canvasback liners for any 3rd row suv. they are made of canvas so they are pretty durable. the fabric also makes it so that you can fold the 3rd row up/down and not have to remove trays or rubber liners EVER. it also allows you to do 3rd row split and still have both areas protected without having to remove anything. that is what was important to me, so i would suggest you consider those if you have similar concerns.

they do not have rubber or a lip so if spill containment is your main priority, i think a tray would be best. but if it's just to protect the original carpeting from dirt and debris, canvasback is a great product. we had it on our X164, then our X166, so one liner lasted us over 11 years. it is really indestructible. we ordered a new one for our X7 and are really happy with it.

here's a link https://www.canvasback.com/mercedes-...ers-40501.html

i didn't bother with covering the sides or the back of the 2nd row, so i just ordered the trunk piece. they are super helpful there and can customize accordingly. like i didn't want holes for the lower compartment release handle, i wanted a solid piece with no holes anywhere for the handles or rings, so when we go to the beach the sand doesn't get into all those openings.
Splaktar (01-10-2024)
Old 03-09-2023, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 625 Likes on 393 Posts
2014 E350 4-matic Sport & 2020 GLS450
The dealer is wrong, MB does have one that is carpet on top and rubber underneath. I know for a fsct, because I have one that I bought from my dealership when I bought our GLS in 2020. I’ll see if it has a part number on it tomorrow. It’s been great and definitely helps to keep the noise factor way down from the rear. I like that it can be rolled up and out of the way when we raise the third row seats. Think i paid around $120 for it.

I would also highly recommend their little foldable bumper guard too that velcros underneath it and can be flipped out the gate to protect the bumper when loading and unloading heavy items. It also is a godsend to keep your pants clean too when you have to lean into the cargo area. I think its called a contana?
The following 2 users liked this post by nc211:
LeadfootCJ7 (03-10-2023), Splaktar (01-10-2024)
Old 03-10-2023, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by nc211
The dealer is wrong, MB does have one that is carpet on top and rubber underneath. I know for a fsct, because I have one that I bought from my dealership when I bought our GLS in 2020. I’ll see if it has a part number on it tomorrow. It’s been great and definitely helps to keep the noise factor way down from the rear. I like that it can be rolled up and out of the way when we raise the third row seats. Think i paid around $120 for it.

I would also highly recommend their little foldable bumper guard too that velcros underneath it and can be flipped out the gate to protect the bumper when loading and unloading heavy items. It also is a godsend to keep your pants clean too when you have to lean into the cargo area. I think its called a contana?
Excellent. Yes, I want the flip out piece that covers the bumper as well, but was told that wasn't made for my GLS as well. Does it have a part number on it?
Splaktar (01-15-2024)
Old 03-10-2023, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 625 Likes on 393 Posts
2014 E350 4-matic Sport & 2020 GLS450

Unfortunately no part numbers on them, but i did take pictures of the MB tag to prove they are genuine MB. You can see the velcro strip underneath the cargo mat where the bumper guard attaches to. Ive seen this on plenty of older GLS (GL) as well. Its been around for a very long time from MB.

Sounds like you just had an encounter with a lazy parts counter guy who didn’t want to look up anything. These definitely exist, and are perfect fits for the car!
The following 2 users liked this post by nc211:
LeadfootCJ7 (03-10-2023), Splaktar (01-10-2024)
Old 03-17-2023, 08:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLS 450
Tuxmat

I bought the full set of Tuxmats for my 2020 GLS and love them. Living in Minnesota my biggest concern is carrying salt and snow in which is horrible on carpets. The Tuxmats provide more coverage than weathertech.
Splaktar (01-10-2024)
Old 05-14-2023, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 554 Likes on 411 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by Steele1979
I bought the full set of Tuxmats for my 2020 GLS and love them. Living in Minnesota my biggest concern is carrying salt and snow in which is horrible on carpets. The Tuxmats provide more coverage than weathertech.
This video is what convinced me to get tuxmat plus the ability to easily swap out the badges for MB badges.

Splaktar (01-10-2024)
Old 05-15-2023, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
I got the weathertech liner with a replacement MB sticker for the cargo:

Old 06-15-2023, 08:56 AM

I ordered this and it came yesterday. As expected you get what you pay for. It isn't quite as thick as I hoped for, but should still do the job. It doesn't seem to smell. The surface does appear to be somewhat non skid which will be nice to keep things from sliding everywhere. Once it flattens out and I install it, I will give an update with some pics. My biggest disappointment was that the section on top of the 3rd row seats isn't split as the pictures in the listing I purchased from show and there isn't a cutout for the tether attachment points for the 3rd row as shown in the listing as well. I can cut it with a razor blade, but it's just a nuisance. For the money it's fine and I am sure it will work even if I keep it just for hauling dirty stuff. We are going on a multi-week road trip in about a month so I will have a better review afterwards.
Splaktar (01-10-2024)
Old 06-15-2023, 02:46 PM

Received 158 Likes on 128 Posts
'23 GLS450
Originally Posted by nc211

Concertina:
https://www.mbusa.com/en/accessories.../0:A2536932000
Part number may be the last couple digits in the URL.
Splaktar (01-10-2024)
Old 06-15-2023, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by EWL5
Concertina:
Anyone who has this, can you please send a picture of it in use? I think I've only seen videos of it on a sedan.
Old 06-15-2023, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by EWL5
Concertina:
That is the right part number. I had forgotten about this. I asked the dealer when I was there last week if they had one for the GLS and they did. The part # is A2536932000. I believe it was $6x.xx which is less than the one for my Holden was.
Splaktar (01-10-2024)
Old 06-16-2023, 10:07 AM

I ordered this and it came yesterday. As expected you get what you pay for. It isn't quite as thick as I hoped for, but should still do the job. It doesn't seem to smell. The surface does appear to be somewhat non skid which will be nice to keep things from sliding everywhere. Once it flattens out and I install it, I will give an update with some pics. My biggest disappointment was that the section on top of the 3rd row seats isn't split as the pictures in the listing I purchased from show and there isn't a cutout for the tether attachment points for the 3rd row as shown in the listing as well. I can cut it with a razor blade, but it's just a nuisance. For the money it's fine and I am sure it will work even if I keep it just for hauling dirty stuff. We are going on a multi-week road trip in about a month so I will have a better review afterwards.
The split on the top of the third row is the main thing that interested me about this tray. As I mentioned in post 2 above, the plastic cargo trays allegedly don't work with the high end Burmester system, although no one can tell me why, when the floor of my vehicle is like all others. Given this, and just looking for some protection for the floor, I purchased a generic Armor All mat for $25. It is thin, easy to roll up, but has a waterproof backing. So far it is working fine.
Splaktar (01-10-2024)
Old 12-02-2023, 07:23 PM

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts
2021 GLS580 | 2011 ML350 BlueTec | 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP
Originally Posted by wildta
This video is what convinced me to get tuxmat plus the ability to easily swap out the badges for MB badges.
Where did you get the MB badges?
Splaktar (01-10-2024)
Old 12-02-2023, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by jkaetz
Where did you get the MB badges?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/374537468350
Splaktar (01-17-2024)
Old 12-02-2023, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by wildta
I got the weathertech liner with a replacement MB sticker for the cargo:

If I had to do it again I'd probably get the OEM cargo mat. People mention the weathertech has cheapened out and it's confirmed, I had an old one from 2008 that was absolutely solid but this new one is floppier and feels cheaper than back in 2008. It'll still work fine but it's not the greatest.
Splaktar (01-10-2024)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Cargo mat/liner (again)