EQS SUV Forum for Discussion of EQS SUV

Received Lectron Vortex NACS-to-CCS1 adapter today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2024, 09:24 PM

Received 254 Likes on 149 Posts
EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Received Lectron Vortex NACS-to-CCS1 adapter today

I finally received the Lectron Vortex adapter that I ordered a few months ago. The adapter weighs two pounds and appears to be a quality product. It's made in China as expected. Unfortunately, the adapter does not include a storage case. I won't be able to actually try the adapter until MB and Tesla finalize their Supercharger access deal.

According to the very short instructions, the adapter gets plugged into the CCS1 port on the car first. Then the Tesla NACS plug is inserted into the adapter. There is a latch on both ends of the adapter and you can hear a micro switch click when either latch is depressed. The adapter will be locked into the port on the car if the car is locked. But, it is not clear whether or not the Tesla plug will be locked in place while the car is charging. I suspect that it may be possible to remove the NACS plug while charging. The micro switch will probably cut the power so that the contacts don't arc and weld the NACS plug to the adapter when the plug is removed while charging.

I really wish Tesla would have installed MagicDock on all of its Superchargers. After inserting and removing the adapter a few times I think the free-standing adapters will be less convenient than MagicDock. It takes quite a bit of force to install and remove the adapter. The ribbed section on the bottom of the NACS end helps to get a good grip on the adapter when removing it.

Last edited by LAZARU5; 04-01-2024 at 11:05 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by LAZARU5:
23-EQS580-SUV (04-04-2024), enj (04-02-2024), LastOne (04-02-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 11:13 AM

EQS 450 4Matic SUV
I corresponded with Lectron and learned that it is okay to attach the adapter to the Tesla connector first, even though the instructions do not indicate so. I believe it will be easier to insert the assembled until into the car charging port. It should also be easier to remove the adapter from the car by gripping onto the Tesla connector. Then once the adapter is removed from the car it should be easier to disconnect the adapter from the Tesla plug since you can get a good grip on the CCS1 end of the adapter.
The following 2 users liked this post by LAZARU5:
Flashwa (04-12-2024), ScottC2 (04-03-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes EQS 450+ 2023
Has anyone used Lectron adapter 2 charge EQS at Tesla supercharger?

Hello,
if I purchase the Lectron Tesla Supercharger (NACS) to CCS Adapter | Vortex Plug | 500A | 1000V now can I use it to charge my EQS 2023 at the Tesla superchargers? I moved from a Tesla to EQS and first charge at EA was not fun.
Also, can I charge now at Tesla’s w MagicDock without an adapter? If so, where do I find the Tesla super chargers w Magic Dock.

All advise / guidance appreciated!
Old 04-12-2024, 10:05 PM

EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Originally Posted by Flashwa
Hello,
if I purchase the Lectron Tesla Supercharger (NACS) to CCS Adapter | Vortex Plug | 500A | 1000V now can I use it to charge my EQS 2023 at the Tesla superchargers? I moved from a Tesla to EQS and first charge at EA was not fun.
Also, can I charge now at Tesla’s w MagicDock without an adapter? If so, where do I find the Tesla super chargers w Magic Dock.

All advise / guidance appreciated!
1) We need to wait until the Tesla/MB Supercharger deal is finalized before using the Lectron adapter.
2) You can charge at the Magic Dock locations now without the Lectron adapter. You just need the Tesla phone app.

https://www.plugshare.com/map/tesla-ccs-locations
Old 04-13-2024, 07:48 AM

Received 371 Likes on 251 Posts
2023 EQE 500 SUV electric and 2024 Jaguar F-PACE SVR 5.0L
That's definitely the easiest one to unplug on the NACS side. You could probably even do it with gloves on. State of Charge did a test with it on a Ford and it barely got warm. According to video none of the ones currently avilable are UL certified since the spec is still being finalized but Lectron claims to be "complaint" with the proposed standard anyways. Might end up being better built than the one we eventually get from Mercedes, you never know.

Old 04-15-2024, 01:00 PM

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts
2022 Taycan GTS, 2023 EQS580 SUV, 2023 EQS580 sedan
@LAZARU5
before you use it, make sure it is not defected. there are YouTube found that their Lectron does NOT click into supercharger and can unplug right away while it is still charging

Last edited by guess2098; 04-15-2024 at 01:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Crito (04-15-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 01:03 PM

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts
2022 Taycan GTS, 2023 EQS580 SUV, 2023 EQS580 sedan
5:37

Old 04-15-2024, 07:24 PM

@guess2098 That doesn't look good. I thought it was just tight and wasn't getting snapped in all the way but now I'm not so sure. Really can't wait for the 2025s with native NACS ports to get here!
Old 05-21-2024, 03:24 PM

BMW i5
Lectron CCS to NACS Adapter won't release

Originally Posted by LAZARU5
I finally received the Lectron Vortex adapter that I ordered a few months ago. The adapter weighs two pounds and appears to be a quality product. It's made in China as expected. Unfortunately, the adapter does not include a storage case. I won't be able to actually try the adapter until MB and Tesla finalize their Supercharger access deal.

According to the very short instructions, the adapter gets plugged into the CCS1 port on the car first. Then the Tesla NACS plug is inserted into the adapter. There is a latch on both ends of the adapter and you can hear a micro switch click when either latch is depressed. The adapter will be locked into the port on the car if the car is locked. But, it is not clear whether or not the Tesla plug will be locked in place while the car is charging. I suspect that it may be possible to remove the NACS plug while charging. The micro switch will probably cut the power so that the contacts don't arc and weld the NACS plug to the adapter when the plug is removed while charging.

I really wish Tesla would have installed MagicDock on all of its Superchargers. After inserting and removing the adapter a few times I think the free-standing adapters will be less convenient than MagicDock. It takes quite a bit of force to install and remove the adapter. The ribbed section on the bottom of the NACS end helps to get a good grip on the adapter when removing it.

I plugged my Tesla NACs Charger to my BMW i5 using the Lectron NACS to CCS adapter however, after using it, the adapter won't release from the Tesla NACS plug. It released from my vehicle's CCS port, but the adapter is stuck. Any clue how to remove the Lectron adapter from the Tesla NACS connector?
Old 05-21-2024, 03:43 PM

EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Originally Posted by Kannapolis#89
I plugged my Tesla NACs Charger to my BMW i5 using the Lectron NACS to CCS adapter however, after using it, the adapter won't release from the Tesla NACS plug. It released from my vehicle's CCS port, but the adapter is stuck. Any clue how to remove the Lectron adapter from the Tesla NACS connector?
Are you referring to the Lectron NACS to J1772 adapter for an L2 EVSE? I did not think the Tesla/BMW charging agreement for Supercharger access is in place yet.
Old 05-21-2024, 03:56 PM

BMW i5
It's the Lectron Vortex Plug NACS to CCS Adapter. I didn't actually try to charge my BMW i5, just plugged them both in to see if the adapter fit properly. However, when I removed it from My BMW, the adapter wouldn't release from the Tesla NACS connector.
Old 05-23-2024, 07:41 AM

FYI, there's a recall... says ~70% of the unit shipped are affected:

Old 05-25-2024, 07:15 PM

EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Originally Posted by guess2098
@LAZARU5
before you use it, make sure it is not defected. there are YouTube found that their Lectron does NOT click into supercharger and can unplug right away while it is still charging...
After viewing the videos referenced above, I confirmed that the NACS plug could be removed from the original Vortex adapter I received without depressing the NACS side release button. I also noted that the NACS plug could NOT be inserted into the adapter without first depressing the latch release. It almost seemed like the tab was installed backwards.

I contacted Lectron via email, they sent me a shipping label to return the first unit, and I received a replacement adapter. Unfortunately, I can't compare the two adapters side by side. The replacement adapter behaves as expected. It's possible to insert the NACS plug without first depressing the latch. However, depressing the latch makes it easier to insert the connector. The shape of the locking tab has been changed and the NACS plug can no longer be removed without depressing the release latch. The spring tension under the release button seems to have been increased compared to the original adapter. Because of this increased spring tension, it's somewhat difficult to hold the release button in the fully depressed position which makes it difficult to remove the NACS plug. I found that holding the adapter with my thumb over the release button allowed me to fully depress the lever and release the NACS plug.

I attached a photo showing that the tab that fits into notch of the NACS plug is rounded on the outside and has a sharp edge on the inside. When the genuine Tesla adapter is available for sale, I will probably get one.

NACS end of Lectron Vortex adapter.

Old 05-25-2024, 07:19 PM

EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Originally Posted by Kannapolis#89
It's the Lectron Vortex Plug NACS to CCS Adapter. I didn't actually try to charge my BMW i5, just plugged them both in to see if the adapter fit properly. However, when I removed it from My BMW, the adapter wouldn't release from the Tesla NACS connector.
After inserting and removing the NACS plug several times from the Vortex adapter I suspect that you may not be fully depressing the release button. The first time I tried to remove the NACS plug from the adapter, it seemed to behave just as you described. I squeezed the release button with more force and was able to pull the NACS plug out of the adapter.