Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Review of all the cars I've tested before buying E400

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2024, 11:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2017 Mercedes-Benz E400 4MATIC Coupe
Review of all the cars I've tested before buying E400

I was in the market for an SUV but ended up buying 2017 E400 coupe. Here's a short review of all the cars I've tested:

GS 350 (2015 AWD). Underwhelmed with this car. Pretty boring to drive. Maybe a tad better than Camry. The same V6 engine that just struggles. Very prominent wind noise on the highway. Road noise is ok. Doesn't soak up bumps that much. Not as comfortable as I expect Lexus to be. Dated tech. I was bored out of my mind and could not wait for the test drive to be over. The looks are of course subjective, but I just could not pass that face only a mother could love. I surprised myself with how disappointing the GS350 was. Maybe the expectations were too high, but it drove a bit better than Avalon.

Honda CRV Hybrid 2024 (L trim) - Impressive at low speeds and around town. Very quiet and smooth at stop and go. Feels like an EV at times. It struggles a bit at high speeds on a highway but has adequate passing power. Sport mode has this irritating fake lawn mower sound.
Gets higher MPG around town than highway. Good tech with wireless charging and Apple carplay. This is a perfect commuter car. The interior is simple but elegant. Some cheap plastic but the rest is decent quality. Buttons have a tactile feel. Not BMW or Lexus quality but very good. At $40k it was just too much money.

ES 300h (2021 Ultra Luxury trim) was incredibly smooth.
Great pick up at low speed. Stop-and-go traffic acceleration was ideal. Great commuter and stuck in a traffic car. That is the best I can say about this car.
The rest of the car felt heavy and hard to turn. It had a weird vibration that I felt through the pedal.
The interior quality is maybe a tad better than the Toyota Camry. I was shocked to find lots of cheap scratchy plastic. Maybe not in the high-touch places but for an ultra-luxury Lexus you would expect none. The layout was a bit weird too.
The seats were the worst part of this car. Not comfortable, not plush, and could not find a great seating position. The headrest in the highest position was hitting the roof. The steering wheel did not telescope enough. The audio was also just ok but did not have a chance to test it in detail. Nowhere near the luxury car level. Smooth, yes, but in the end, the car just felt too ordinary for the price.

GX 460 (2019 Premium) was a nice surprise in some ways.
Very comfortable and indestructible. The car feels very solid, like a tank. V8 is smooth but a bit noisy. Dated tech. No digital speedometer. The Interior is of high quality but visually just eh. Amazing headroom and visibility.
Loved the sound, visibility, and reliability, but it handled like a dump truck, and there was still something satisfying about driving it. I just could not bring myself to spend that much money on a 300hp from a giant V8, no tech, and the interior from the 90s. Also pretty unsightly exterior.

GLC 300 (2023) Surprisingly good pep for a 4 cyl around town and on the highway. The car is very easy to drive and park. But the engine feels a bit rough and unrefined. Steering is pretty vague and breaks are mushy. The engine has a nice growl. I always loved the Mercedes engine tone. Their 4 cyls sound like 6, and 6 cyl sound like 8.
The interior looks nice at first glance (especially with the ambient lightning) but the quality just isn't there. Lots of cheap plastics and that ghastly tack-on K-Mart screen. Ugh. Me no like at all. It's not horrible but the previous gen had better quality despite looking outdated in comparison.

BMW X5 (2021 loaded). Incredible machine. One of the best SUVs I've driven. Blows almost everything I tested out of the water. Gorgeous cognac interior. Suspesion is perfect. Soaks up bumps better than any Lexus. Agile and light in corners as all BMWs are. There is a small amount of turbo lag but it is there.
The cabin is super isolated and quiet at higher speeds. The seats are comfortable and supportive. Just feels refined and luxurious. Overwhelming amount of tech - too much in my opinion. If you can think of it, this car has it. Too many things to go wrong. Even the dealer told me, very expensive to own and upkeep.
I was able to jump into the X5 right after GX460 and the contrast was astonishing. It was like the difference between a motel and a Ritz Carlton. But X5 was outside of my budget and I am turning 50, so Benz just felt 'just' more right.

Last edited by 220volt; 06-13-2024 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-13-2024, 11:07 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,348 Likes on 2,003 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823
Originally Posted by 220volt
I was in the market for an SUV but ended up buying 2017 E400 coupe. Here's a short review of all the cars I've tested:

GS 350 (2015 AWD). Underwhelmed with this car. Pretty boring to drive. Maybe a tad better than Camry. The same V6 engine that just struggles. Very prominent wind noise on the highway. Road noise is ok. Doesn't soak up bumps that much. Not as comfortable as I expect Lexus to be. Dated tech. I was bored out of my mind and could not wait for the test drive to be over. The looks are of course subjective, but I just could not pass that face only a mother could love. I surprised myself with how disappointing the GS350 was. Maybe the expectations were too high, but it drove a bit better than Avalon.

Honda CRV Hybrid 2024 (L trim) - Impressive at low speeds and around town. Very quiet and smooth at stop and go. Feels like an EV at times. It struggles a bit at high speeds on a highway but has adequate passing power. Sport mode has this irritating fake lawn mower sound.
Gets higher MPG around town than highway. Good tech with wireless charging and Apple carplay. This is a perfect commuter car. The interior is simple but elegant. Some cheap plastic but the rest is decent quality. Buttons have a tactile feel. Not BMW or Lexus quality but very good. At $40k it was just too much money.

ES 300h (2021 Ultra Luxury trim) was incredibly smooth.
Surprising pep and pick up at low speed. Stop-and-go traffic acceleration was ideal. Great commuter and stuck in a traffic car. That is the best I can say about this car.
The rest of the car felt heavy and hard to turn. It had a weird vibration that I felt through the pedal.
The interior quality is maybe a tad better than the Toyota Camry. I was shocked to find lots of cheap scratchy plastic. Maybe not in the high-touch places but for an ultra-luxury Lexus you would expect none. The layout was a bit weird too.
The seats were the worst part of this car. Not comfortable, not plush, and could not find a great seating position. The headrest in the highest position was hitting the roof. The steering wheel did not telescope enough. The audio was also just ok but did not have a chance to test it in detail. Nowhere near the luxury car level. Smooth, yes, but in the end, the car just felt too ordinary for the price.

GX 460 (2019 Premium) was a nice surprise in some ways.
Very comfortable and indestructible. The car feels very solid, like a tank. V8 is smooth but a bit noisy. Dated tech. No digital speedometer. The Interior is of high quality but visually just eh. Amazing headroom and visibility.
Loved the sound, visibility, and reliability, but it handled like a dump truck, and there was still something satisfying about driving it. I just could not bring myself to spend that much money on a 300hp from a giant V8, no tech, and the interior from the 90s. Also pretty unsightly exterior.

GLC 300 (2023) Surprisingly good pep for a 4 cyl around town and on the highway. The car is very easy to drive and park. But the engine feels a bit rough and unrefined. Steering is pretty vague and breaks are mushy. The engine has a nice growl. I always loved the Mercedes engine tone. Their 4 cyls sound like 6, and 6 cyl sound like 8.
The interior looks nice at first glance (especially with the ambient lightning) but the quality just isn't there. Lots of cheap plastics and that ghastly tack-on K-Mart screen. Ugh. Me no like at all. It's not horrible but the previous gen had better quality despite looking outdated in comparison.

BMW X5 (2021 loaded). Incredible machine. One of the best SUVs I've driven. Blows almost everything I tested out of the water. Gorgeous cognac interior. Suspesion is perfect. Soaks up bumps better than any Lexus. Agile and light in corners as all BMWs are. There is a small amount of turbo lag but it is there.
The cabin is super isolated and quiet at higher speeds. The seats are comfortable and supportive. Just feels refined and luxurious. Overwhelming amount of tech - too much in my opinion. If you can think of it, this car has it. Too many things to go wrong. Even the dealer told me, very expensive to own and upkeep.
I was able to jump into the X5 right after GX460 and the contrast was astonishing. It was like the difference between a motel and a Ritz Carlton. But X5 was outside of my budget and I am turning 50, so Benz just felt 'just' more right.
I got curious, since you tested an X5, if you were to test a GLE as well?

The 2023 GLC, was it the X254 or is it the 2023 GLC coupe based on the X253?
Old 06-13-2024, 11:10 AM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
There is a lot of back in forth, for example you went looking at sedans to suvs and decided on a coupe in the end?

Edit: What were some of your needs, I assume you liked the practically of an SUV, and/or the height of the SUV and/or the easier ingress/egress?

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 06-13-2024 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-13-2024, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
I got curious, since you tested an X5, if you were to test a GLE as well?

The 2023 GLC, was it the X254 or is it the 2023 GLC coupe based on the X253?
Not sure if it was X254 but it was not coupe.
I have not tested GLE, but my friend has GLE 450 and I only rode it as a passenger. Now, GLE is much more inline with an X5. Maybe feels even a bit smoother and more refined. As a passenger.

Last edited by 220volt; 06-13-2024 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-13-2024, 11:19 AM

There is a lot of back in forth, for example you went looking at sedans to suvs and decided on a coupe in the end?

Edit: What were some of your needs, I assume you liked the practically of an SUV, and/or the height of the SUV and/or the easier ingress/egress?
To be honest, i did not even know what I want myself. But my Mini Copper S died so I needed a new car and SUVs just had better practicality, visibility and as you said height for easier in and out. But I took a 10-minute drive in an E 400 and just loved how cozy it was. The car just envelops you in a satisfying embrace. Love the combination of no B pillars and a panoramic sunroof. It creates an airy and spacious sensation.
I know C207s are based on C class but I don't mind. I just love the car. Super quiet at high speeds, the engine rumbles great, sturdy, and fun, and everything has a tactile satisfying feel. Surprisingly comfortable, but the car I was coming from was a Mini Cooper S so a wheelbarrow is more comfortable in comparison.
Old 06-13-2024, 11:26 AM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
Not sure if it was X254 but it was not coupe.
I have not tested GLE, but my friend has GLE 450 and I only rode it as a passenger. Now, GLE is much more inline with an X5. Maybe feels even a bit smoother and more refined. As a passenger.
I see, then it must be the all new GLC with the touchscreen waterfalling from the middle. Given that vehicle has the 48V mild hybrid four cylinder, I was hoping it would had helped with the acceleration and the overall drive.

Yes, the GLE competes with the X5 after all hence why I was surprised you didn't check out the GLE. Guess you did after all : ) just not a thorough test like with the other vehicles.
Old 06-13-2024, 11:27 AM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
To be honest, i did not even know what I want myself. But my Mini Copper S died so I needed a new car and SUVs just had better practicality, visibility and as you said height for easier in and out. But I took a 10-minute drive in an E 400 and just loved how cozy it was. The car just envelops you in a satisfying embrace. Love the combination of no B pillars and a panoramic sunroof. It creates an airy and spacious sensation.
I know C207s are based on C class but I don't mind. I just love the car. Super quiet at high speeds, the engine rumbles great, sturdy, and fun, and everything has a tactile satisfying feel. Surprisingly comfortable, but the car I was coming from was a Mini Cooper S so a wheelbarrow is more comfortable in comparison.
I see, sounds like you found true love. Good for you. The M276 engine in the E 400 is reliable so that is a plus.

We forum members appreciate you sharing your impressions with the other vehicles with us.

Trending Topics

Old 06-13-2024, 02:21 PM

I see, sounds like you found true love. Good for you. The M276 engine in the E 400 is reliable so that is a plus.

We forum members appreciate you sharing your impressions with the other vehicles with us.
Thanks! One of the reasons I picked 2017 (serendipitously) is that it's the last year of that generation, so as you said should be fairly reliable.
Old 06-13-2024, 02:22 PM

I see, then it must be the all new GLC with the touchscreen waterfalling from the middle. Given that vehicle has the 48V mild hybrid four cylinder, I was hoping it would had helped with the acceleration and the overall drive.

Yes, the GLE competes with the X5 after all hence why I was surprised you didn't check out the GLE. Guess you did after all : ) just not a thorough test like with the other vehicles.
GLE 450 will be my wife's next car for sure. She loved GLC 300 and GLE 350, so 450 should blow her mind
Old 06-13-2024, 03:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
Thanks! One of the reasons I picked 2017 (serendipitously) is that it's the last year of that generation, so as you said should be fairly reliable.
GLE 450 will be my wife's next car for sure. She loved GLC 300 and GLE 350, so 450 should blow her mind
Glad to hear it and good luck with your journey with the coming cars.
Old 06-14-2024, 03:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A 200 Sedan
The e400 is a solid choice from what I've read. Good power, nice interior, and those newer mbux systems are really user-friendly from what i've experienced firsthand. cargo space could be a bit bigger but it gets the job done.
Old 06-14-2024, 08:46 AM

Received 143 Likes on 118 Posts
2016 E400 Coupe (C207)
How much mileage? If it has the Multi-Contour Seats, be prepared to spend potentially upwards of $3,000 at some point to replace all the air bladders and the air pump.
Old 06-14-2024, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by benzuserjee
The e400 is a solid choice from what I've read. Good power, nice interior, and those newer mbux systems are really user-friendly from what i've experienced firsthand. cargo space could be a bit bigger but it gets the job done.
mbux is almost like a personality test. Some cannot get used to it while to some it fits like an old shoe. I personally really like it.
Old 06-14-2024, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Toad
How much mileage? If it has the Multi-Contour Seats, be prepared to spend potentially upwards of $3,000 at some point to replace all the air bladders and the air pump.
It only had 28k miles, single owner. It does have those Contour seats. I keep playing with those bladders all the time However, I did buy Carmax's 100k/5year warranty with $500 deductible that already paid for itself. Had to replace the AC unit and the temperature sensor at the Merc dealership.
Old 06-14-2024, 09:58 AM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
mbux is almost like a personality test. Some cannot get used to it while to some it fits like an old shoe. I personally really like it.
Pardon my ignorance but you mean COMAND not MBUX right, as far as I remembered MBUX didn't come out until 2019
Old 06-14-2024, 12:11 PM

Pardon my ignorance but you mean COMAND not MBUX right, as far as I remembered MBUX didn't come out until 2019
I meant MBUX from the 2023 GLC I tested. I think I like it better than COMAND.
Old 06-14-2024, 01:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
I meant MBUX from the 2023 GLC I tested. I think I like it better than COMAND.
Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. What do you like better, the first gen (basically the one on the facelift X253 GLC, facelift W213 and A-Class) or the second gen mbux (in the 2023 GLC X254 and W223 S)

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 06-14-2024 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-14-2024, 01:38 PM

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. What do you like better, the first gen (basically the one on the facelift X253 GLC, facelift W213 and A-Class) or the second gen mbux (in the 2023 GLC X254 and W223 S)
Honestly, I haven't had experience with the first gen. The only modern Mercedes I've owned or properly driven is my E 400 and that 2023 GLC 300 that I had for the whole week. I am coming from Porche Boxter, BMW, Mini, and GTI so this is my first proper Benz.
Old 06-14-2024, 02:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
Honestly, I haven't had experience with the first gen. The only modern Mercedes I've owned or properly driven is my E 400 and that 2023 GLC 300 that I had for the whole week. I am coming from Porche Boxter, BMW, Mini, and GTI so this is my first proper Benz.
Fair fair.
Old Yesterday, 08:45 AM

Received 143 Likes on 118 Posts
2016 E400 Coupe (C207)
It only had 28k miles, single owner. It does have those Contour seats. I keep playing with those bladders all the time However, I did buy Carmax's 100k/5year warranty with $500 deductible that already paid for itself. Had to replace the AC unit and the temperature sensor at the Merc dealership.
I bought mine CPO as a lease return with just 12,000 miles on it. The seat inflation system (bladders, pump, and thumbwheel control pods between the seats) all failed just after it turned 30,000 miles (fall of 2023). It was at the dealer for about four months.