SL-Class (R232) Discussion on the 2022 R232

SL/R232: would you buy another AMG SL?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2024, 10:36 PM

Received 186 Likes on 100 Posts
2022 AMG SL63, 2015 Ferrari 458 Spyder, 2021 ALPINA B7
would you buy another AMG SL?

I would be curious to hear from current owners and I mean actual owners of an AMG SL - would you strongly consider getting another one?

If yes - why?

Old 06-11-2024, 10:38 PM

Received 136 Likes on 112 Posts
SL63
There are some improvements I would like to see in a new SL. I would seriously consider buying the new one, if those improvements were made.
Old 06-12-2024, 04:13 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
SL63 AMG
Originally Posted by MB2timer
There are some improvements I would like to see in a new SL. I would seriously consider buying the new one, if those improvements were made.
I own a 2023 sl63 amg and my first impressions were bad, the quality of the door material is bad when closing it, to close it you have to give it quite a bit of force for a car of this type
Some materials on the dashboard creak, and in my case in particular, it came with several software problems, such as the transmission not working properly, the engine software was outdated... among other things.
The car is nice, it feels very sporty, it attracts a lot of attention, especially among women :3
Even though it has many good things, as it personally gave me many problems, for this price, I would NEVER buy a Mercedes again due to all the software problems they usually experience, I'm tired of having to constantly go to have the software updated...etc, it's like they sell you a car in BETA mode, you test it and over time and little by little, they make updates.

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...-problems.html
Old 06-12-2024, 11:40 AM

Received 136 Likes on 112 Posts
SL63
The software stuff is getting way out of hand.
I don’t want to be driving a computer.
I want to drive a CAR!
Old 06-12-2024, 06:18 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
SL63AMG
I just swapped my SL63 with the SL e-perf, waiting to receive it this month.
I had no major issues, some updates done to the suspension which greatly improved the feeling of the whole car. Nothing else major. Some noise coming from the front left tire, they did change a screw or something. Like half hour of work on the car. Had the car for about one year, great car.
I am only worried about the luggage space now, it’s even smaller. Wasn’t that big anyway .. well …
Love the big screen, very responsive, full functions there all the time. My first Mercedes in a while, much easier to use then previous versions. Nothing to learn, you just use it, it works perfectly.
I can only comment about how sensible the sensors for a crash are: every time I get a car wash I receive “car involved in minor crash” or something, from the app .. with pictures of the guy washing my car .. First few times I freaked out.
Old 06-24-2024, 06:54 AM

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts
SL63 AMG (R232)
Originally Posted by Tifoso48
I would be curious to hear from current owners and I mean actual owners of an AMG SL - would you strongly consider getting another one?

If yes - why?
Yes but this time, the SL63 E Performance. The SL63 is quick but for the money Mercedes is asking, not quick enough. They should have given the SL63 at least 40-50 hp more and I do not like the turbo lag.

Initially, I wasn't impressed with the car but after a few (fixed) issues in the beginning, I absolutely love my SL63 AMG.
Old 06-24-2024, 07:46 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,428 Likes on 2,069 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823
Originally Posted by RTC63
Yes but this time, the SL63 E Performance. The SL63 is quick but for the money Mercedes is asking, not quick enough. They should have given the SL63 at least 40-50 hp more and I do not like the turbo lag.

Initially, I wasn't impressed with the car but after a few (fixed) issues in the beginning, I absolutely love my SL63 AMG.
Main problem with the E Performance is the increased weight and the decreased cornering fun as a result. Even the SL 43 corners better because of the lighter front end. The E Performance also adds complexity, I don't know how much of actual horsepower gain minus the weight differential (value) that vehicle will have.
Old 06-24-2024, 09:46 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
SL63AMG
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Main problem with the E Performance is the increased weight and the decreased cornering fun as a result. Even the SL 43 corners better because of the lighter front end. The E Performance also adds complexity, I don't know how much of actual horsepower gain minus the weight differential (value) that vehicle will have.
I have the E-perf ready to deliver, next week or so. I jumped from the sl63 because of the instant response in the e-performance cars (tried it with the s class). Don’t race on the track, don’t care much about the weight. If you care about the weight you need to get the turbo 911, not an SL Amg. 1950kg for the 63 is not a light car. I don’t care about another 200kg, considering the added benefits=200hp of instant power. The end result for me are 800hp that are available all the time (it s a trick cause the electric motor will push right away, no more turbo lag or transmission lag). Cornering like crazy you can only do on the track, which I only do once a year for fun, never push the car at the max in regular driving/city or else ..
For me the look of the SL is so much better than the 911, either way I look at them both. I also owned a few of 911, boxsters, Panamera turbo, still never had the full package. They either look weird, like a frog, or they are uncomfortable to drive in the city, or … something.

Last edited by Raulr; 06-24-2024 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-24-2024, 09:56 AM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
Originally Posted by Raulr
I have the E-perf ready to deliver, next week or so. I jumped from the sl63 because of the instant response in the e-performance cars (tried it with the s class). Don’t race on the track, don’t care much about the weight. If you care about the weight you need to get the turbo 911, not an SL Amg. 1950kg for the 63 is not a light car. I don’t care about another 200kg, considering the added benefits=200hp of instant power. The end result for me are 800hp that are available all the time (it s a trick cause the electric motor will push right away, no more turbo lag or transmission lag). Cornering like crazy you can only do on the track, which I only do once a year for fun, never push the car at the max in regular driving/city or else ..
For me the look of the SL is so much better than the 911, either way I look at them both. I also owned a few of 911, boxsters, Panamera turbo, still never had the full package. They either look weird, like a frog, or they are uncomfortable to drive in the city, or … something.
Firstly, congrats. If you find E Performance works for you by all means get it : ) glad to hear you found the car you like.

I won't disagree about lighter car get the 911, Porsche isn't for me and the V8 alone makes it worth it to get the R232 in my opinion plus although subjective but the R232's interior is better.

In SL standards, R232 certainly isn't light at all in base SL 43 even.

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 06-24-2024 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-24-2024, 09:56 AM

SL63 AMG (R232)
The SL43 does not corner better, it just feels lighter...thats it. Weight doesn't count that much as in the past with modern (adpative) chassis systems, sometimes you don't even feel the weight.
The following 2 users liked this post by RTC63:
California John (06-24-2024), wem (06-24-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 10:00 AM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
The SL43 does not corner better, it just feels lighter...thats it. Weight doesn't count that much as in the past with modern (adpative) chassis systems, sometimes you don't even feel the weight.
The reason I said this was because I remember reading a thread in the R232 sub forums and someone took the SL 43, SL 55 and SL 63 through a driving event in the canyons they said they were pleasantly surprised by the 43 and the better cornering ability. Yes the physics part is the four cylinder being lighter than the V8 in the front.
Old 06-25-2024, 04:57 AM

SL63 AMG (R232)
The reason I said this was because I remember reading a thread in the R232 sub forums and someone took the SL 43, SL 55 and SL 63 through a driving event in the canyons they said they were pleasantly surprised by the 43 and the better cornering ability. Yes the physics part is the four cylinder being lighter than the V8 in the front.
It feels faster because the front end is lighter but in the end, the SL63 is still faster due to various setup differences in chassis and rear wheel steering. Many SL43 owners here in Germany do not get the AMG DYNAMIC PLUS package, so the cars do not have the AMG Ride Control chassis or the dynamic engine mounts, nor the electronic LSD, also because some idiot sales guy tells them that the car doesn't need this stuff because it makes the car heavier. It may be true with the weight but from a driving dynamics point of view, it is a huge difference.
Old 06-25-2024, 08:09 AM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
It feels faster because the front end is lighter but in the end, the SL63 is still faster due to various setup differences in chassis and rear wheel steering. Many SL43 owners here in Germany do not get the AMG DYNAMIC PLUS package, so the cars do not have the AMG Ride Control chassis or the dynamic engine mounts, nor the electronic LSD, also because some idiot sales guy tells them that the car doesn't need this stuff because it makes the car heavier. It may be true with the weight but from a driving dynamics point of view, it is a huge difference.
I understand how much a vehicle benefits from the Ride Control I agree I had first hand experience on a GLE 53 it did wonders.

I never said "it felt faster" though, at least I don't recall saying that. I said it "felt lighter" but in honesty, I just pulled that opinion out from someone else that actually drove this vehicle in the canyons on the forums.
Old 06-28-2024, 04:54 AM

SL63 AMG (R232)
I understand how much a vehicle benefits from the Ride Control I agree I had first hand experience on a GLE 53 it did wonders.

I never said "it felt faster" though, at least I don't recall saying that. I said it "felt lighter" but in honesty, I just pulled that opinion out from someone else that actually drove this vehicle in the canyons on the forums.
When you switch directly from a SL63 to a SL43...yes, the front end feels lighter but overall, it doesn't make the car faster. I also think that the SL43 has a slightly different steering/chassis setup.
Old 06-28-2024, 06:54 AM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
When you switch directly from a SL63 to a SL43...yes, the front end feels lighter but overall, it doesn't make the car faster. I also think that the SL43 has a slightly different steering/chassis setup.
I still never said the car is faster, just lighter but yes I agree with the different steering/chassis setup.