Negative Fuel trims

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2024, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c63 w204
Negative Fuel trims

Hello,

im getting -ve LTFT on my w204 c63 around -17 ish on both banks and stft of -78 to -1.56 inhave replaced both mafs new intake maan filters, 02 seems to be working good values look normal, car drives good idling normal driving is smooth wot is good and strong,
i have low AC refrigerant which might be caused by a leakage some where which i have to gwt fixed other wise car is normal.

anyone suggest what could be causing this negative long term fuel trim?

thanks

Old 07-06-2024, 01:41 PM

c63 w204
Anyone???
Old 07-10-2024, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 300 Likes on 193 Posts
10 C six trizzle
either oxygen sensors or trash tune.
Old 07-10-2024, 03:37 PM

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts
2012 C63 P31 Sedan
Are you in the US and are you running ROW airboxes?
Old 07-10-2024, 04:24 PM

c63 w204
Originally Posted by BalanBro
Are you in the US and are you running ROW airboxes?
my car is a JDM c63 which doesn't come with charcoal filters.
Old 07-10-2024, 04:25 PM

c63 w204
Originally Posted by roadtalontsi
either oxygen sensors or trash tune.
oxygen sensor readings on the scanner look normal and the car is bone stock.
Old 07-10-2024, 04:28 PM

c63 w204
Update:

A few months back I put new lifters in the left bank as they were 3 of them were ticking and followed all timing procedures accordingly to the factory manual with the timing tools.

My LTFT stayed in negative so further investigation i checked the cam shaft timing from my scanner and the timing isnt staying still its supposed to be 28 for the intake and -15 for the exhaust as per mb manual

But my timing is constantly moving even after doing relearning its still moving up and down both bank

What could be causing this could this be cause of the negative trims? Or are these readings normal i.e non static and are +- 1 degree on idle?

Old 07-11-2024, 10:05 AM

Received 470 Likes on 173 Posts
E63
Originally Posted by wheelspk2131
Update:

A few months back I put new lifters in the left bank as they were 3 of them were ticking and followed all timing procedures accordingly to the factory manual with the timing tools.

My LTFT stayed in negative so further investigation i checked the cam shaft timing from my scanner and the timing isnt staying still its supposed to be 28 for the intake and -15 for the exhaust as per mb manual

But my timing is constantly moving even after doing relearning its still moving up and down both bank

What could be causing this could this be cause of the negative trims? Or are these readings normal i.e non static and are +- 1 degree on idle?

https://youtube.com/shorts/6996taTeG...H_Y_NakJgyCF5a
Cam angles look pretty normal to me.

When I deleted my EVAP system I started having issues with negative LTFT's, it had to be corrected by my tuner to get them back to normal.

I'd look into making sure all of your EVAP and PCV system are plugged in and working correctly.
Old 07-12-2024, 01:45 PM

c63 w204
Originally Posted by sickSVT
Cam angles look pretty normal to me.

When I deleted my EVAP system I started having issues with negative LTFT's, it had to be corrected by my tuner to get them back to normal.

I'd look into making sure all of your EVAP and PCV system are plugged in and working correctly.
EVAP system seemed to ticking and working okay no codes related to EVAP but ill check the connection again, i disconnected the Evap switch and the negative trims started to come down, dont know if this is useful information or not.

could i have leakage in the intake mainfold??
Old 07-12-2024, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,357 Likes on 2,235 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @55kMi
Hello,

im getting -ve LTFT on my w204 c63 around -17 ish on both banks and stft of -78 to -1.56 inhave replaced both mafs new intake maan filters, 02 seems to be working good values look normal, car drives good idling normal driving is smooth wot is good and strong,
i have low AC refrigerant which might be caused by a leakage some where which i have to gwt fixed other wise car is normal.

anyone suggest what could be causing this negative long term fuel trim?

thanks
I have an extremely hard time both banks share the exact same lean LTFT in closed loop - I think the scanner support for your engine is wasting your time.

matched lean LTFT....

Buy a LAUNCH MB Elite or better
The following 2 users liked this post by CaliBenzDriver:
amgfreak87 (07-13-2024), wheelspk2131 (07-14-2024)
Old 07-14-2024, 08:46 AM

c63 w204
Originally Posted by CaliBenzDriver
I have an extremely hard time both banks share the exact same lean LTFT in closed loop - I think the scanner support for your engine is wasting your time.

matched lean LTFT....

Buy a LAUNCH MB Elite or better

Car usually starts with -15 trims then after driving og 10 miles or so and idling of 30mins or so do they come down , negative trims are not matched they change its just a coincidence that on this screen shot they are same,
my fuel trims are showing rich not lean as they are negative meaning car is rich, here is another screenshot after the car is fully warmed up and idling for 30mins

Old 07-14-2024, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car usually starts with -15 trims then after driving og 10 miles or so and idling of 30mins or so do they come down , negative trims are not matched they change its just a coincidence that on this screen shot they are same,
my fuel trims are showing rich not lean as they are negative meaning car is rich, here is another screenshot after the car is fully warmed up and idling for 30mins

Yep, so now you need to find out why your ECU is removing fuel from your engine combustion, more or less equally on both banks....

What's particular about your engine to cause this lean?
Old 07-14-2024, 02:38 PM

c63 w204
Yep, so now you need to find out why your ECU is removing fuel from your engine combustion, more or less equally on both banks....

What's particular about your engine to cause this lean?
from what people have told me is that when a car doesn't get enough air it is when the trims go negative as the ecu see that more fuel is being added then needed so it removes that fuel.

how do i figure this out?? That is why i posted on this forum so someone can tell me what going on???

car drives normal , power is good.

New MAFs installed new air filters installed, fuel pressure is good , o2 voltage seem to be good and they are more or less working on same voltage.

so i dont know what to look for next.
Old 07-14-2024, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NEG TRIM

from what people have told me is that when a car doesn't get enough air it is when the trims go negative as the ecu see that more fuel is being added then needed so it removes that fuel.

how do i figure this out?? That is why i posted on this forum so someone can tell me what going on???

car drives normal , power is good.

New MAFs installed new air filters installed, fuel pressure is good , o2 voltage seem to be good and they are more or less working on same voltage.

so i dont know what to look for next.
It's pretty unusual for an engine not to get enough air.

If your intake is particularly dirty , throttle plate could use cleaning spray or you have broken intake flaps issues.

Lets check on IGN:
Spark ignition issues more likely except you say power is good and scanner has no misfires faults...

How old are those sparkplugs?

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 07-14-2024 at 07:02 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:20 AM

c63 w204
It's pretty unusual for an engine not to get enough air.

If your intake is particularly dirty , throttle plate could use cleaning spray or you have broken intake flaps issues.

Lets check on IGN:
Spark ignition issues more likely except you say power is good and scanner has no misfires faults...

How old are those sparkplugs?

Plugs are like maybe 18k miles old they might need changing?

yes no cels , also i have noticed that when the engine is colder or being warmed up the car is more towards negative trims like -15 on idle and as the car warms up and i drive for a bit and let it idle for 10 to 15 mins the trims come down to -8ish

its very odd , i have checked everything expect for the spark plugs.

Old Yesterday, 08:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,587 Likes on 935 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Could be leaky injectors which is some what common.
Old Yesterday, 11:11 AM

c63 w204
Originally Posted by Jasonoff
Could be leaky injectors which is some what common.

thats the 1st thing i changed with my friends c63 and the LTFT remained the same and his car had normal LTFts , im still rocking his injections also my injections have been tested and passed.

Last edited by wheelspk2131; Yesterday at 11:31 AM.
Old Yesterday, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

intake flaps control

The key here is LTFT are nearly equal so it's unlikely one cylinder having issues... not a plug, coil or injector.

It's something common to both Banks causing your lean trim response... the engine combustion is too rich.

I understand you are saying you are still running your friends injectors... these must be paired individually to the engine ECU.

Even that may not provide relief because lean was present before injector shuffling...

How is the engine blow-by pressure vs. PCV status ??

easy quick fix

> Check/replace the vaccum pump small check valve (shown above) that works the flaps actuators full of oil ?

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; Yesterday at 02:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
wheelspk2131 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:42 PM

c63 w204
The key here is LTFT are nearly equal so it's unlikely one cylinder having issues... not a plug, coil or injector.

It's something common to both Banks causing your lean trim response... the engine combustion is too rich.

I understand you are saying you are still running your friends injectors... these must be paired individually to the engine ECU.

Even that may not provide relief because lean was present before injector shuffling...

How is the engine blow-by pressure vs. PCV status ??

easy quick fix

> Check/replace the vaccum pump small check valve (shown above) that works the flaps actuators full of oil ?

Even if i put my injector back the negative fuel teims remain on idle.

is this the valve you talking about? The ones you posted are for w205 mine is a w204 c63

Also i have a heavy power steering since many months could that be causing issues???

i have noticed when i press/pump the break my short term trims for positive for 3 to 4 seconds and the long term also drop , how is the break related to fuel teims?

Last edited by wheelspk2131; Yesterday at 06:07 PM.
Old Yesterday, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
Put stock airboxes on the car if your running row boxes and if that don't work start with a stock tune on the car.

Are you sure you put the right injectors in the car? Do you have alot of black smoke and how is your mpgs
Old Yesterday, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Even if i put my injector back the negative fuel teims remain on idle.

is this the valve you talking about? The ones you posted are for w205 mine is a w204 c63

Also i have a heavy power steering since many months could that be causing issues???

i have noticed when i press/pump the break my short term trims for positive for 3 to 4 seconds and the long term also drop , how is the break related to fuel teims?
Is your brake vacuum booster operated by a vacuum pump or by engine intake vacuum?
I think pump!
pump shares vacuum with intake flap actuator.

There maybe something to do with crankcase pressure + PCV.

MAF or MAP engine?