EQS EQS (V297) sedan

Any news on MB NACS adapter "certification"???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2024, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,120 Likes on 732 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Any news on MB NACS adapter "certification"???

Does anyone have an update on the availabilty of the NACS adapter for MB's? On the Tesla App My EQS is now mentioning that my car will use an adapter for usage but no stations are showing up except the magic dock ones. On the Tesla website all the superchargers open to adapters are listed but it doesn't list which brands are "certified".
I'm getting a little impatient with waiting since MB annouced it was adopting the standard this year. I would order a Lectron adapter the next day. There are areas of my "stomping grounds" where there are plenty of Superchargers but No EA fast chargers. Having Superchargers available would be te final nail in the coffin for any range anxiety virtually anywhere in the country. On my 4000 mile trip west and back there was an iffy leg to the trip between Wyoming and Montana where there was a single 50kw ChargePoint to make or break the trip. On a 50k charger, the session can get pretty long when you have to deep charge. Not to mention there was no other option! If the charger had been on the blink, I would have had to find a 220 somewhere to charge basically overnight.
Old 07-27-2024, 08:17 AM

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts
There is no news yet.
And I don't think there will be any news until Tesla has a firm ETA when Mercedes is allowed to use the network.
And there are probably no adapters before then.
Old 07-27-2024, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by nosnoop
There is no news yet.
And I don't think there will be any news until Tesla has a firm ETA when Mercedes is allowed to use the network.
And there are probably no adapters before then.
Yep its a coordinated effort since the Superchargers will become part of the MB "network" like EA and Chargepoint so they are incorporated into the route planning. However, it would be very nice if there was some inkling as to when this will happen. The adapter is immaterial. What Rivian and Ford are using is basically a loose magic dock adapter. There are also aftermarket ones already available, its basically a 20 dollar doodad that changes one plug into another which they charge you 200 bucks for. The whole deal is the software integration. NACS and CCS use exactly the same protocol, the only reason you can't plug into a NACS with an adapter is Tesla software to block other brands. Mostly to maintain brand exclusivity and to force other manufacturers to pay "royalties" for access.

Last edited by c4004matic; 07-27-2024 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-27-2024, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 429 Likes on 297 Posts
2023 EQE 500 SUV electric and 2024 Jaguar F-PACE SVR 5.0L
With all the CCS chargers being installed at places like Buc-ees and Flying J, this may end up being another example of "too little, too late". Having a NACS connector is no longer a deal breaker for me when considering trading-in my EQE SUV. I actually prefer going somewhere with clean restrooms, sandwiches and coffee. Wouldn't surprise me if a lot of manufacturers re-think switching to NACS. There's certainly no rush now anyways.
Old 07-27-2024, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by Crito
With all the CCS chargers being installed at places like Buc-ees and Flying J, this may end up being another example of "too little, too late". Having a NACS connector is no longer a deal breaker for me when considering trading-in my EQE SUV. I actually prefer going somewhere with clean restrooms, sandwiches and coffee. Wouldn't surprise me if a lot of manufacturers re-think switching to NACS. There's certainly no rush now anyways.
Absolutely agree it's not a deal breaker, but it makes road trip planning almost an afterthought. It basically triples the number of chargers available. For non tesla brands its a godsend. It will also alleviate a lot of frustration since Superchargers are significantly more reliable than other providers.For example, last time I was in Rochester MN, there is no EA at all, and to get a working 50kw charger I had to go to 3 different ones.....A true pain in the *** for a slow charge. If I had acces to the local supercharger I would have made 1 stop and charged in less than half the time, not counting the 45 min wasted finding one that worked! That type of inconvinience is what is stalling EV adoption. If you go to norther MN for example, There are no DC chargers in Duluth except for Tesla. They had one creaky 50 KW one that broke and was essentially abandoned. A real sad state of affairs.
Old 07-27-2024, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
No news. But Rivian started shipping theirs. I already got the UPS info. Mine is arriving on Monday.
Old 07-27-2024, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm just saying that instead of taking government/taxpayer handouts to expand the infrastructure, maybe Elon should try to compete a little more for my business. I know chargers are expensive to install but profit margin on the electricity itself is like 100%. For that kind of scratch he could install those magic docks a little faster I think.
Old 07-28-2024, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
I'm just saying that instead of taking government/taxpayer handouts to expand the infrastructure, maybe Elon should try to compete a little more for my business. I know chargers are expensive to install but profit margin on the electricity itself is like 100%. For that kind of scratch he could install those magic docks a little faster I think.
Neither you nor I understand the economics of that. But I know the economics of my spend wouldn't justify anyone to upgrade their charger. I use a public charger maybe 2-3 times a year.
The following users liked this post:
hlothery (07-28-2024)
Old 07-28-2024, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
The fact that Tesla chargers are opening to other cars is killing Tesla sales. Now that they have competition from better vehicles, the supercharging network and the ability for Teslas to charge anywhere were a big plus. Now that they have lost that advantage, its hurting them.
Old 07-29-2024, 10:35 AM

Received 152 Likes on 114 Posts
2005 SL 500. 2015 S550. 2016 GLE400 2018 S560
Several months ago I was chatting with a gentleman parked next to me at an EA station while we were both charging our cars. Conversation eventually turned to what do you do for a living. He said he owned multiple cell phone towers up and down the east coast as well as the Caribbean. He told me he looked into setting up car charging stations but said it would take him at least 20 years to break even so he gave up on the idea. Plus charging is still in its infancy so what you build today may be obsolete in 5-10 years. I would imagine this would put the brakes on the small business owners installing charging stations.
Old 07-29-2024, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well I know they built a dozen Superchargers near me and I've never seen more than half of them in use at any one time. There are no EA stations within a 30 mile radius.

I'm not an economist but seems to me like 16 stations sitting idly and generating no revenue might not be the best business strategy. They're planning one Magic Dock downtown Houston but it still shows up as "coming soon" on the Supercharger map and isn't actually available.
Old 07-29-2024, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by Radman991
Several months ago I was chatting with a gentleman parked next to me at an EA station while we were both charging our cars. Conversation eventually turned to what do you do for a living. He said he owned multiple cell phone towers up and down the east coast as well as the Caribbean. He told me he looked into setting up car charging stations but said it would take him at least 20 years to break even so he gave up on the idea. Plus charging is still in its infancy so what you build today may be obsolete in 5-10 years. I would imagine this would put the brakes on the small business owners installing charging stations.
Absolutely true. The cost of chargers makes it an impossible proposition for the average small business owner. The cost of DC fast chargers are in the tens of thousands, not that they really sell them to individuals anyway. But don't go too far, no one makes money selling gas either, the convinience store is what makes any profit for has retailers.
Old 07-29-2024, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by c4004matic
Absolutely true. The cost of chargers makes it an impossible proposition for the average small business owner. The cost of DC fast chargers are in the tens of thousands, not that they really sell them to individuals anyway. But don't go too far, no one makes money selling gas either, the convinience store is what makes any profit for has retailers.
..hundreds of thousands but the federal government will pick up most of the tab. Then the 100% profit on electricity is all yours to keep... well, I guess Uncle Sam will get his cut out of your taxes.

Tennessee documents show this location as costing $889,144, with $702,423 of it covered by the federal government. Construction is scheduled to start later this year. Tennessee's initial grant awarded contracts for 30 new locations throughout the state, covering $21 million in federal funds.
SOURCE: https://www.greencarreports.com/news...-station-trend
Old 07-29-2024, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
..hundreds of thousands but the federal government will pick up most of the tab. Then the 100% profit on electricity is all yours to keep... well, I guess Uncle Sam will get his cut out of your taxes.

SOURCE: https://www.greencarreports.com/news...-station-trend
Mmmm maybe its the time after aafteUnfortunately for some rural areas there is a byzantine amount of hoops to hook up to the local grid. Though that does seem to have aproblem for Tesla.
Old 07-30-2024, 02:45 PM

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts
No Mercedes yet
It seems like there's an opportunity here - because people charging EVs wait much longer than people charging ICE vehicles. So if the EV charging companies were to set up a cafe next to their chargers, they'd have a captive audience.
Radman991 (07-30-2024)
Old 07-30-2024, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well all I'm sure of is I'd rather have my tax dollar subsidizing chargers for mom and pop convenience stores rather than giving it to multinational corporations who drag their feet and make me wait for access. It's almost like the government works for them and not us.

Maybe they should just call it America Inc., a subsidiary of World Corp., so we can all stop pretending its a democratic republic.
dangitty (07-30-2024)
Old 07-30-2024, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Well all I'm sure of is I'd rather have my tax dollar subsidizing chargers for mom and pop convenience stores rather than giving it to multinational corporations who drag their feet and make me wait for access. It's almost like the government works for them and not us.

Maybe they should just call it America Inc., a subsidiary of World Corp., so we can all stop pretending its a democratic republic.
if you are saying subsidize smaller EV charging stations and not Tesla I support that.

I have no love for Tesla. And also I agree if they had a less idiotic CEO he might start monetizing his charging network sooner. Because EA chargers often are full.
Old 07-30-2024, 10:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2023 EQS 450+
I wholeheartedly agree. I do not get what all the love for Tesla chargers is about. I've driven thousands of miles and worst had to wait 30-40 mins for a charger. I'll try my damn hardest not to give a single dime to Tesla nor use their chargers.
Old 07-31-2024, 09:31 AM

Received 267 Likes on 159 Posts
EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Originally Posted by BaranE
...I do not get what all the love for Tesla chargers is about...
I have clocked 80K+ miles in three EVs (Tesla M3, Taycan CT, EQS SUV) with over half of that in the EQS and about three quarters on road trips. Given a choice, I will choose the Tesla charger every time. Tesla Superchargers and the NACS connectors are superior by design. The reliability of the Tesla "system" is achieved by its simplicity. One connector type for L2 or L3 charging. No display screens. No credit card readers. Intuitive phone app. No bulky connector at the end of an unwieldy cable. High uptime percentage. Tesla Superchargers do have room for improvement, but they are way ahead of the competition.

I am not a proponent of government subsidies for the public charging infrastructure or the $7.5K EV tax credit. However, I don't regret taking advantage of both, since it is away to recover some of my tax dollars collected by the government.
c4004matic (07-31-2024)
Old 07-31-2024, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by LAZARU5
I have clocked 80K+ miles in three EVs (Tesla M3, Taycan CT, EQS SUV) with over half of that in the EQS and about three quarters on road trips. Given a choice, I will choose the Tesla charger every time. Tesla Superchargers and the NACS connectors are superior by design. The reliability of the Tesla "system" is achieved by its simplicity. One connector type for L2 or L3 charging. No display screens. No credit card readers. Intuitive phone app. No bulky connector at the end of an unwieldy cable. High uptime percentage. Tesla Superchargers do have room for improvement, but they are way ahead of the competition.

I am not a proponent of government subsidies for the public charging infrastructure or the $7.5K EV tax credit. However, I don't regret taking advantage of both, since it is away to recover some of my tax dollars collected by the government.
The EA plug and charge is even slicker than the Supercharger setup...when it works. For me I would say is now about 90% of the time. Unfortunately once you get into the real boonies as in Montana, the EA stations are not "networked". EA has improved significantly from the early days. One thing that is definitely a pain about superchargers is the short cable, In the EQS you have to use the "wrong" stall which most of the time is not an issue and is better than using two, which is most definitely a no-no.
Old 07-31-2024, 11:55 AM

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
2022 MB EQS 580
Theoretically that has some truth to it, but a lot of Mercedes' announced "charging partnerships" and the launch of their own charging networks has really been vaporware this far. Just off the top of my mind in the last 24 months Mercedes has announced their own branded charging network ("plans to set up over 2,500 high-powered chargers in 400 hubs by 2027") and partnerships with Buc-ee's ("in November 2023, Mercedes announced it had made an agreement with Buc-ee's to build EV charging hubs at most of its existing stores. Mercedes is aiming to have around 30 online by the end of the year").and Starbucks ("Starbucks today announced a strategic collaboration with Mercedes-Benz High-Power Charging to electrify more than 100 Starbucks stores across the country"). There has been VERY LITTLE actual build-out of ANY of that, to my knowledge, That, combined with the increasingly overwhelmed EA charging network, is particularly disappointing.
Old 07-31-2024, 01:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2023 EQS 450+
There's some MB chargers in my neck of the woods, but it baffles me that I have to pay for them while EA is free.
Old 07-31-2024, 01:59 PM

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts
No Mercedes yet
The EA plug and charge is even slicker than the Supercharger setup...when it works.
And sometimes you can even be positively surprised. Right now I'm road-tripping in Canada (from the USA), and pulled up to an "Electrify Canada" station in Revelstoke, BC. It worked - and was free (for <30 minutes of charging), just like "Electrify America" in the USA. (However, the "Electrify Canada" station didn't show up in Mercedes' map or routing; I had to use Google Maps to find it.)
Old 07-31-2024, 06:34 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
ML 350, EQE Sedan
Well, that is true but the real problem here is Musk had a hissy fit and fired the entire Supercharger team from the VP on down a couple of months ago. They will need to completely rebuild the department and get everyone trained on all of the construction, permit, and network integration issues. Could easily take a couple of years, and they will certainly have a lot of problems as the new team comes up to speed.
Old 07-31-2024, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by ehildum
Well, that is true but the real problem here is Musk had a hissy fit and fired the entire Supercharger team from the VP on down a couple of months ago. They will need to completely rebuild the department and get everyone trained on all of the construction, permit, and network integration issues. Could easily take a couple of years, and they will certainly have a lot of problems as the new team comes up to speed.
If they do that they lose 5 billion in givernment money....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Any news on MB NACS adapter "certification"???