Sponsored by:

Turbo Install D.I.Y?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2024, 10:41 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 C43 Coupe
Turbo Install D.I.Y?

Hello everyone, I wanted to know how challenging it is to swap out turbos on our cars. I plan on purchasing the new pure 900's(no core required) next week and after getting a quote from a shop, I'm leaning more toward swapping them myself. Earlier this year I installed catless downpipes so I think I'm capable but I could use a few tips as I never did a turbo install before. Any special tools or tricks you guys recommend?

If anyone could share the part #'s for the o-rings/gaskets and how many need to be replaced, that would be awesome. FCP euro has gaskets and o-rings but I'm not 100% sure if they are the correct ones.

In the workshop manual, it states that if you have a single piece clamp connecting the turbos to the exhaust manifolds, replace it with a 2-piece clamp. Anyone know if the 2017's came with the updated clamp?

Also curious if I need a aftermarket intake boot? Or will the stock ones fit onto the new pure 900's(claims aftermarket housing)?

Old 07-28-2024, 11:06 PM

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts
W205 C63 AMG Coupe
I have not done the install myself but I have read from others on this forum that the part of the turbos that attaches to the intake manifold is affixed with an adhesive that makes it difficult (if not impossible) to get off without tearing it. Might be worth having an extra set on hand in case you need them.
Old 07-29-2024, 02:41 PM

2018 C43 Coupe
Originally Posted by SJGetsome
I have not done the install myself but I have read from others on this forum that the part of the turbos that attaches to the intake manifold is affixed with an adhesive that makes it difficult (if not impossible) to get off without tearing it. Might be worth having an extra set on hand in case you need them.
Do you mean the boot that connects the air intake to the turbo? To my knowledge the intake manifolds aren’t being touched during a turbo swap.

Does anyone know if the low temperature coolant NEEDS to be drained? There’s a YouTube video of guys swapping turbos on a c63 and it seems they didn’t drain the coolant.. if anyone can chime in that would be great.

Old 07-29-2024, 02:43 PM

2018 C43 Coupe

this is the YouTube video I’m referring to. Looks like they don’t drain the low temp coolant and have no issues installing/removing the turbos.
Old 07-29-2024, 04:45 PM

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts
W205 C63 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Fluffy Nuggets
Do you mean the boot that connects the air intake to the turbo? To my knowledge the intake manifolds aren’t being touched during a turbo swap.

Does anyone know if the low temperature coolant NEEDS to be drained? There’s a YouTube video of guys swapping turbos on a c63 and it seems they didn’t drain the coolant.. if anyone can chime in that would be great.
I misspoke. Not the intake manifold connectors. You're right that those aren't touched. But there is a connector from the turbo to either the intake or to the connector to the intercooler where there has been reported to be an adhesive that makes removing it challenging. I'm not sure which one it is as I haven't done the install.

EDIT: Did a quick forum search and here is the link to the forum post about the connectors: https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-...pter-part.html

Last edited by SJGetsome; 07-29-2024 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-29-2024, 07:23 PM

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts
17 C63S Coupe PTG1000
Not applicable for hybrid turbos (only for full frame turbos) ———————————————————

It’s the coupler that connects intakes to the turbos. Those two little holes in the coupler are glued to the recirculation ports. You disconnect the coupler from the intake and turbo, to give you more room to remove them. Take a pick or small flathead screwdriver, stick it down in there and try to separate the coupler from the recirculation ports.

Be careful as you don’t want to break the recirc ports. I’d also be careful using too much heat and melting/warping the plastic. It’s the cold side of the turbo but still be careful.

Last edited by noremaC; 07-29-2024 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-29-2024, 08:13 PM
SPONSOR

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts
AMGs :)
Originally Posted by noremaC
It’s the coupler that connects intakes to the turbos. Those two little holes in the coupler are glued to the recirculation ports. You disconnect the coupler from the intake and turbo, to give you more room to remove them. Take a pick or small flathead screwdriver, stick it down in there and try to separate the coupler from the recirculation ports.

Be careful as you don’t want to break the recirc ports. I’d also be careful using too much heat and melting/warping the plastic. It’s the cold side of the turbo but still be careful.

He doesn't need to touch the adaptors. The install is pretty straightforward IMO. Just make sure you pre oil etc and don't go revving the car etc. let it all warm up / wear in.
Old 07-29-2024, 08:15 PM

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts
17 C63S Coupe PTG1000
Originally Posted by ZAC MOTORSPORT
He doesn't need to touch the adaptors. The install is pretty straightforward IMO. Just make sure you pre oil etc and don't go revving the car etc. let it all warm up / wear in.
lol I read ptg1000’s not pure900s.

Disregard.
Old 07-29-2024, 10:53 PM

2018 C43 Coupe
Originally Posted by ZAC MOTORSPORT
Do you know if the stock boot/coupler fits the new pure 900's? Also would you know if the low temp coolant NEEDS to be drained? I'm more confident in attempting the install as you said its pretty straight forward just unsure about those two things mentioned earlier.
Old Today, 01:48 AM

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts
C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by Fluffy Nuggets

intake manifolds don’t get touched when removing turbos. Low temp circuit also doesn’t need to be drained. You do however need to drain the engine coolant as that coolant circuit runs through the turbos to cool them. If you don’t drain, it will just pour out into the block and also into the spark plug area because there is a bleed line near the coil bolts.

my trick is, I suck the coolant out of the larger coolant reservoir until there is none left and that is enough to make things work without a giant mess. You’ll need a gallon of pink mercedes coolant to top off when done. Keep that in mind.
Old Today, 07:48 AM

2018 C43 Coupe
Originally Posted by Judson145
intake manifolds don’t get touched when removing turbos. Low temp circuit also doesn’t need to be drained. You do however need to drain the engine coolant as that coolant circuit runs through the turbos to cool them. If you don’t drain, it will just pour out into the block and also into the spark plug area because there is a bleed line near the coil bolts.

my trick is, I suck the coolant out of the larger coolant reservoir until there is none left and that is enough to make things work without a giant mess. You’ll need a gallon of pink mercedes coolant to top off when done. Keep that in mind.
So drain/remove coolant from the main reservoir? Workshop manual instructs to drain low temp coolant, youtube video shows them not even draining low temp coolant unless they did if off camera, and now you say just remove some from main reservoir. Thought I could get away without draining it but I definitely dont want to leak coolant on the engine block/coils so i will be draining it.

Thanks for the response.
Old Today, 08:02 AM

Received 352 Likes on 242 Posts
13 s212 63 p30. 03 s55amg. 06 LX470
Originally Posted by noremaC
lol I read ptg1000’s not pure900s.

Disregard.
What would be an amazing feature on this forum is the ability to go back and edit any wrong information that was put in this technical post. I wonder why a forum would not want correct information available? Poor info makes the search feature useless and increase the time to find proper information. I wonder if an edit button could fix so many problems that keep popping up recently with poop communication, mis-spelling , incorrect tech specs or backwards instructions.

I don’t even have these turbos or this car, but I like reading technical forums, and now this thread was a waste of my time. Will I be the type of person to continue reading useless threads or posts because of the poor management of a forum?

once again

Where are the moderators seeing that a post needs some fixing or that we need the god damn edit button back? They are probably shadily stalking members that disagree with their opinions.

Last edited by Baltistyle; Today at 08:04 AM.