GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Towing a trailer - Level adjustment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2024, 09:53 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
GL320 2007
Towing a trailer - Level adjustment

This is a long shot, but has anyone got any ideas on how to raise the car when towing?

We do a bit of outback camping and when I'm towing a camping trailer, I can't adjust the cars level. I presume this is all part of the antisway safety stuff, but not so useful when I'm driving tracks. There are times I need the extra clearance.

My only idea at the moment is to pull the trailer fuse when I need to. I don't really need lights for daytime tracks, but may eventually need power to the trailer.
Old 07-29-2024, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 601 Likes on 509 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
I think the answer is just unplug the trailer light connector when you need the increased clearance.

I don’t think the car is that smart that it knows it has weight back there unless there’s an electrical connection made, and reported by the rear Sam.
The following users liked this post:
alive19 (08-04-2024)
Old 07-29-2024, 11:18 AM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Mercedes gl450
Originally Posted by Max Blast
I think the answer is just unplug the trailer light connector when you need the increased clearance.

I don’t think the car is that smart that it knows it has weight back there unless there’s an electrical connection made, and reported by the rear Sam.
You're probably right. But would it take that much intelligence to monitor the rear springs/air shock compression or pressure to assume there's extra weight?
Old 07-29-2024, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 680 Likes on 493 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
I'm not sure what your issue is. On my ML, I connect the trailer (using load equalizers, but it works about the same without the eq as far as staying level) and the car automatically levels itself. If I'm under 29mph I have the ability to raise the airmatic suspension to the higher position. Do you not have airmatic or are your level sensors shot or is the GL platform so different from the ML platform that it doesn't bring itself back to level when loaded?
All of the above assumes airmatic suspension. If you have a standard spring/shock setup, your best bet will be an equalizer hitch.

Last edited by rapidoxidation; 07-29-2024 at 07:09 PM.
Old 07-30-2024, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
The vehicle is smart enough to know there is weight there because Airmatic always keeps the vehicle level. But perhaps the suspension raise will work with trailer plug disconnected.
Old 07-30-2024, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by lkchris
The vehicle is smart enough to know there is weight there because Airmatic always keeps the vehicle level. But perhaps the suspension raise will work with trailer plug disconnected.
or the bags may blow, unless they are bilsteins
Old 07-31-2024, 04:50 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
08 GL320 CDI
Originally Posted by Max Blast
or the bags may blow, unless they are bilsteins
Nope. I've been towing my trailer for years now, 6000lbs, and I have cheap Amazon rear bags, for about 4 or so years now.

As soon as I hook up my trailer and put load on the hitch, as in raise the front leg on the trailer, I can hear the compressor kick on and the rear raises up level again. I love this feature for towing. Once I unhook at the site. My rear is about 3 feet in the air, but as soon as I drive a foot forward it vents down to normal height again.

Excellent towing vehicle. Easily goes up the BC mountain passes while towing.
Old 07-31-2024, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 680 Likes on 493 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by lkchris
I've not had an issue raising my ML even with the trailer attached. The limiting factor is vehicle speed (<29mph), not load or trailer. YMMV
Old 08-01-2024, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well, I’d give it a shot and report back to us whether it works or not.
The following users liked this post:
rapidoxidation (08-01-2024)
Old 08-02-2024, 08:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 710 Likes on 527 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
What is your Tongue weight?
What is Vehicle and hitch's Tongue weight limit?
Anything in the rear or backseat?
What is your rear and front axle loads?

How much does the camper/trailer weigh?

lots go into setting up a vehicle and trailer to tow.
ever read E-Trailer site? Lot more to towing then just hooking something up and driving off.
etrailer.com

Old 08-02-2024, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by ygmn
What is your Tongue weight?
What is Vehicle and hitch's Tongue weight limit?
Anything in the rear or backseat?
What is your rear and front axle loads?

How much does the camper/trailer weigh?

lots go into setting up a vehicle and trailer to tow.
ever read E-Trailer site? Lot more to towing then just hooking something up and driving off.
etrailer.com
You sound like someone with mostly 'merikun iron experience. With Mercedes it is indeed hook up, drive off ... within Mercedes rules for weight, of course.
Old 08-04-2024, 11:29 PM

GL320 2007
Thanks....

I have the offroad option on the air suspension. When I have a trailer connected, I'm unable to change the ride height - ie increase to the 3 different offroad ride heights.

I've also connected the trailer with the car raised (ie in offroad mode) and when I start driving it puts it back to standard height level.

My camper trailer is sub 1000kg, with probably less than 100kg on the tow ball. It's light weight.

So can someone with a GL confirm whether you can raise the height of the car with the trailer connected, while travelling under 29km/hr? Given the commonality with the ML, I would guess it would be the same. Maybe my module needs new software.
Old Today, 03:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by alive19
Thanks....

I have the offroad option on the air suspension. When I have a trailer connected, I'm unable to change the ride height - ie increase to the 3 different offroad ride heights.

I've also connected the trailer with the car raised (ie in offroad mode) and when I start driving it puts it back to standard height level.

My camper trailer is sub 1000kg, with probably less than 100kg on the tow ball. It's light weight.

So can someone with a GL confirm whether you can raise the height of the car with the trailer connected, while travelling under 29km/hr? Given the commonality with the ML, I would guess it would be the same. Maybe my module needs new software.
Oh you have EORP… I get it now.
I have a trailer and EORP and I’ll try to duplicate this. Although you could try it with your little trailer, and confirm or deny if it works with the trailer electrics unplugged.
Old Today, 05:08 AM

GL320 2007
It will work with the trailer unplugged. The functional description talks about trailer detection being on the light circuit, nothing about mass. There are no mass sensors in the car and they havn't implemented air pressure/ride height quasi mass measurement. Otherwise putting 200kg in the rear would trick the car into thinking it had a trailer connected.
Old Today, 11:07 AM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Mercedes gl450
Originally Posted by alive19
It will work with the trailer unplugged. The functional description talks about trailer detection being on the light circuit, nothing about mass. There are no mass sensors in the car and they havn't implemented air pressure/ride height quasi mass measurement. Otherwise putting 200kg in the rear would trick the car into thinking it had a trailer connected.
I'm no expert by any means, but it seems to me there is (at least) two different systems or functions at play. First, trailer hook-up or not, the Airmatic system is designed to keep the car level. It functions based on position, not weight. So, it would level the car based on the rear being lower, not specifically the weight of the trailer. My guess is the trailer connection would have other functions, such as brake distribution, lights, etc.
My point, which is just a guess, is there may be some interplay between the two otherwise separate systems.